• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

anyone considering jumping ship?

nynvolt

Android Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2010
SoCal
Just curious. I love this phone and it has been great but it's almost a year. I honestly don't care that much about ics but it's really annoying that we are still on gb. Samsung is offering a trade in refund of $220 if you buy a Samsung phone. The S3 seems pretty decent although I'm a bit skeptical about Samsung phone's. The incredible 4g is exactly the size I want but it's not an upgrade, plus no refund. I have to say I'm tempted to jump ship and buy off contract, which I'll have to do to keep unlimited anyway. Just curious if anyone has been considering the same out of frustration. Wish they had never mentioned the rezound being upgraded to 4.0. I may or may not have bought it but at least I wouldn't feel slighted because it was supposed to be a top tier device and we are already two os upgrades behind.

Not me. I like my Rezound plenty as is. Even with GB it is still a powerful and beautiful phone, with great radios, a good camera, 1 GB of DDR2 RAM, plus the sharpest display on the planet. It's processor is fast as all get-out, and its performance is silken smooth. Oh yea, it is built like a tank too. And it looks great.

So what if there were problems encountered in adapting ICS for the 'Zound? Or Verizon held it back to sell other phones, or whatever. It has plenty of positives even without an upgrade to the OS! In my opinion it is STILL one of the two or three most powerful phones available. And for my own choice, it is still the only one of any kind available now that I would own. Period.

I'd never turn my back on such a great phone just because a promised software update is taking longer than expected, for some unknown reason. And note the term "unknown reason." Nobody REALLY knows why there is a delay. All of the speculation about VZW holding it back to sell more Razrs, or DInc 4g LTEs, or whatever, or HTC holding it back for God-know-what reason are just that, pure speculation.

I would like to have the ICS upgrade, sure. But I'm not going to give up the only phone that I would buy, of all the phones available from any carrier, just to get a spiffy new version of the OS. Christ! What a trivial upgrade for such a big loss.

Jeez, I think that getting all upset about it and throwing a tantrum is nothing but a waste of time and is self-defeating. If I find that I have the time on my hands to get upset about it (and I have on occasion), I take it as a signal that I am bored and have nothing better to do, so I go find something better to do than be petty and immature.

PS, nynvolt, I am not implying that you are having a tantrum or are acting petty and immature. From your post, I think you are trying to work out the frustration of waiting so long for the ICS upgrade. Keep the faith, keep the faith. It will come. There are others, though, who are ranting and yelling like spoiled 3-year-olds and who have changed phones over the ICS upgrade. One guy even downgraded (in my opinion) to a DInc 4g LTE!

Upvote 0
I just took the plunge and loaded the last ICS leak. It was not a big deal to do and, so far, everything works great. As a matter of fact, one app I use (the MyNetDiary app) had issues unger GB the ICS fixxed. Under GB it would not resolve to the full screen of the RZ but with the ICS leak it now does.

I also used it as an oportunity to wipe and rest my phone. I had been suffering from a self-imposed bloat of apps. Installing the leak does wipe everything so it was kind of a fresh start.

Aside from that I'm still not sure if it is really that big a deal to be on ICS. I'm still playing with it so time will tell.

As far as the phone goes, this is still one of the best smart phones out there. I am waiting to see what happens with the iPhone, but the leaks so far are not that promising (I'm not a big fan of the taller screen that is being kicked around.)

I really do think this phone can last two years, but we shall see.

FWIW
DLM

PS. In going with the leak I had one major concern, the ability to continue to use hotspot (I don't mind paying for it) which works fine. This is probably the one reason I don't root. I was also hoping to get ride of the VZ bloat. It is still there but you can disable it under ICS. I'm still not sure if that cures all the bloat ills, but it is a good start.

Upvote 0
PS. In going with the leak I had one major concern, the ability to continue to use hotspot (I don't mind paying for it) which works fine. This is probably the one reason I don't root. I was also hoping to get ride of the VZ bloat. It is still there but you can disable it under ICS. I'm still not sure if that cures all the bloat ills, but it is a good start.

How do you disable the bloatware under unrooted ICS? I have read this before and asked but never got an answer. I have looked in all of the setting and don't see any option to do this so is there an add on app that is needed? Or is this just an ICS myth?

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
I agree that this is a great phone and there is no reason to change. All the reasons I chose it are still very valid. The hardware and design is top of the line. It out performs every other smartphone out there as far as my needs go and it has no gimmicks, just solid dependable performance.

It is so easy to get caught up in the hype and expectation illusions that the marketing people throw out. For them it's all about creating dis-satisfaction so we will buy, buy, buy.

Sometimes you just have to stop and think, aside from the marketing hype what major quantum leap have they developed over the last 8 months? In my mind none.

Upvote 0
How do you disable the bloatware under unrooted ICS? I have read this before and asked but never got an answer. I have looked in all of the setting and don't see any option to do this so is there an add on app that is needed? Or is this just an ICS myth?

I flashed the RUU update to ICS (wow, what a difference in performance -- this thing is even more beastly now)... I think the setting is covered/didn't make the cut as the update is Sense 3.6 running over ICS 4.0 -- quite possibly the function belongs to "pure" ICS and not the overlay.

That said... I do not use the Sense launcher - I have replaced it with Apex Launcher (which is crazy good!) - you do not need to be rooted to use a secondary launcher. One of Apex's settings allows you to define what apps DO NOT show up in the drawer. This isn't the same as removing them from the system but it is "out of sight, out of mind" -- I believe they can also be prevented from updating.

Not really gone but hey, it's the next best thing. :D

Upvote 0

It is not easy to find/understand. You need to:

1. go into settings/apps
2. tap the "all" tab
3. tap the app you want to disable

This brings up the App info display. You will always have a "Force stop" button. The button to the imeadiate right may say "Disable" OR it may say "Unistall updates" (this is what you see for most of the bloat like Blockbuster)

4. Uninstall the updates and then you should get the disable button.
5. tap disable, disreguard the warrning (at your own risk)and you are done.

I think the big fooler here is that all the bloat I've gotten rid of had the "Unistall updates" button and until I hit that I didn't see the "Disable" button.

FWIW
DLM

Upvote 0

Was wondering that myself
That said... I do not use the Sense launcher - I have replaced it with Apex Launcher (which is crazy good!) - you do not need to be rooted to use a secondary launcher. One of Apex's settings allows you to define what apps DO NOT show up in the drawer. This isn't the same as removing them from the system but it is "out of sight, out of mind" -- I believe they can also be prevented from updating.

Not really gone but hey, it's the next best thing. :D

Yea but that doesn't stop them from being loaded into memory :(. I'd rather apps that I actually use be loaded into memory. This is one feature I am dying to have.
It is not easy to find/understand. You need to:

1. go into settings/apps
2. tap the "all" tab
3. tap the app you want to disable

This brings up the App info display. You will always have a "Force stop" button. The button to the imeadiate right may say "Disable" OR it may say "Unistall updates" (this is what you see for most of the bloat like Blockbuster)

4. Uninstall the updates and then you should get the disable button.
5. tap disable, disreguard the warrning (at your own risk)and you are done.

I think the big fooler here is that all the bloat I've gotten rid of had the "Unistall updates" button and until I hit that I didn't see the "Disable" button.

FWIW
DLM

Word! :)
Can't wait to have this option!!

To answer the OP.
If the Inc 4G was 4.3" I would JUMP on it. With a better processor (supposed to make a HUGE difference) and Sense 4.0 AND the fact that it was built for ICS makes it a definite upgrade in my opinion.

That said, I am completely pleased with my Rezound. I of course want the latest and greatest, it's just how I am wired. My girl just got the SG3 and it is a BEAST! Everything about it is top-of-the-line.... except for the UI! She is already asking, "where is my old calendar, why don't my contacts look the same?" Sense is better in EVERY way.

VZW really should of had a One X (or equivalent). That would make me want to switch. I honestly think HTC and VZW have beef. They seem to not give a crap for HTC in general. Hell I wanted to play with the HTC Inc 4G at my local corporate store and the one they have on display is screwed!! If you exit out of the 'demo' program it says 'sense has stopped working' then boot loops. It's been like that for over a week now. I have told the VZW people at store and they just shrug :eek:

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
VZW really should of had a One X (or equivalent). That would make me want to switch. I honestly think HTC and VZW have beef. They seem to not give a crap for HTC in general. Hell I wanted to play with the HTC Inc 4G at my local corporate store and the one they have on display is screwed!! If you exit out of the 'demo' program it says 'sense has stopped working' then boot loops. It's been like that for over a week now. I have told the VZW people at store and they just shrug

I love the size of the incredible, it's like a mini rezound. It was zippy when I played with it.

I agree with you, I think Verizon has a problem with HTC. They should be able to get the latest, greatest phones since they offer the best service. Verizon has been making a bunch of lame moves lately and I suspect people will migrate away to more competitive services.

I typically only keep a phone a year and it looks like I may not see how much better the rezound handles on ics.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
I love the size of the incredible, it's like a mini rezound. It was zippy when I played with it.

I agree with you, I think Verizon has a problem with HTC. They should be able to get the latest, greatest phones since they offer the best service. Verizon has been making a bunch of lame moves lately and I suspect people will migrate away to more competitive services.

I typically only keep a phone a year and it looks like I may not see how much better the rezound handles on ics.

Yea, I'm salty I can't get to play with the Inc 4g.... I've told sales rep about the broken phone but still it sits there on display. FC'ing and boot looping... Blows my mind

Upvote 0
I have only one complaint about the Rezound. The capacitive buttons are just too sensitive. I often hit one accidentally while handling the phone. If they were like the OG Droid I'd be happy. But of you just brush these you'll execute the button. Usually search . Everything else is outstanding.

Upvote 0
I couldnt go away from HTC. I've used a GS3 for a little bit the other day. Beast phone, but as others have said, the UI is just plain awful to look at. My buddy set it all up like he wanted and I took another look at it (mainly to turn on his face unlock with my face) but i just couldnt get past how ugly it is. On the flip side, I did mess with another friends evo 4g lte and as expected, I really liked that phone compared to the galaxy s. I really do wish there was a one x variant for verizon. I would buy it in a heartbeat cause those phones based on the one series (evo mainly) are really nice.

I know the Inc 4g is nice, and I kinda wish I had waited a little longer and maybe stuck with Inc series since I loved my original, but oh well. Im excited to see what comes next from HTC. But Im also excited to get ICS on this phone as Ive heard from people with the leak it really wakes the phone up. Ive sadly been ruined using my nexus 7 with jelly bean now, gonna make ICS so old feeling compared. Of course going from my nexus to rezound feels like such a step back when it comes to look now.

Upvote 0
I likeD, yes no longer like it..., the rezound until on my first one kept overheating WAY too much...draining the battery rather quickly, the 2nd one the bottom of the display wouldnt let me touch, so i couldnt MAKE A CALL, the third had the same problem, the 4th will type random letters in texts if i am not touching the screen at all... now waiting on my 5th. they offered me a LG Spectrum instead, to which i said for them to go to hell.....NOT very happy with the build quality of this phone.

Upvote 0
Take back cover off and bend it and comeback and say it's builted like a tank ha.

Not me. I like my Rezound plenty as is. Even with GB it is still a powerful and beautiful phone, with great radios, a good camera, 1 GB of DDR2 RAM, plus the sharpest display on the planet. It's processor is fast as all get-out, and its performance is silken smooth. Oh yea, it is built like a tank too. And it looks great.

So what if there were problems encountered in adapting ICS for the 'Zound? Or Verizon held it back to sell other phones, or whatever. It has plenty of positives even without an upgrade to the OS! In my opinion it is STILL one of the two or three most powerful phones available. And for my own choice, it is still the only one of any kind available now that I would own. Period.

I'd never turn my back on such a great phone just because a promised software update is taking longer than expected, for some unknown reason. And note the term "unknown reason." Nobody REALLY knows why there is a delay. All of the speculation about VZW holding it back to sell more Razrs, or DInc 4g LTEs, or whatever, or HTC holding it back for God-know-what reason are just that, pure speculation.

I would like to have the ICS upgrade, sure. But I'm not going to give up the only phone that I would buy, of all the phones available from any carrier, just to get a spiffy new version of the OS. Christ! What a trivial upgrade for such a big loss.

Jeez, I think that getting all upset about it and throwing a tantrum is nothing but a waste of time and is self-defeating. If I find that I have the time on my hands to get upset about it (and I have on occasion), I take it as a signal that I am bored and have nothing better to do, so I go find something better to do than be petty and immature.

PS, nynvolt, I am not implying that you are having a tantrum or are acting petty and immature. From your post, I think you are trying to work out the frustration of waiting so long for the ICS upgrade. Keep the faith, keep the faith. It will come. There are others, though, who are ranting and yelling like spoiled 3-year-olds and who have changed phones over the ICS upgrade. One guy even downgraded (in my opinion) to a DInc 4g LTE!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones