• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone else have second thoughts on getting a S4 now that HTC One is getting rave reviews?

Hey early..thoughts
20130427_154818_zps0a33bcca.jpg

I feel that it is a setting issue but have yet to find a setting that fixes it

Upvote 0
Hey early..thoughts

You're referring to the missing location, yes?

Honestly not sure.

I opened all location permissions just now on my LTEvo and have the same issue - on several browsers, stock, Boat, Naked, Chrome.

If I search, it certainly knows where I am and offers advice.

I see both phones are not logged in, so it can't be related to g+.

It's likely some deficiency on the HTC that's been there for some time.

Upvote 0
NO..BOTH PHONES ARE ON FULL BRIGHTNESS, power saver off...

sorry about the caps

You're referring to the missing location, yes?

Honestly not sure.

I opened all location permissions just now on my LTEvo and have the same issue - on several browsers, stock, Boat, Naked, Chrome.

If I search, it certainly knows where I am and offers advice.

I see both phones are not logged in, so it can't be related to g+.

It's likely some deficiency on the HTC that's been there for some time.

Upvote 0
IMO Google pushes cloud because they mine it and not for any other reason. To be honest if there was no such thing as data caps cloud storage would be great. The reality is they do exist and local storage is always without question going to be faster.

Lots of folks are trying to sell cloud storage but always because of what they can get out of it. There is no free lunch, you always, always, pay for anything and cloud storage is no different. The people that provide it don't get their income from fairies that whip up green for their efforts, they get their income from selling your data. And yes, they parse through everything you upload and sell the information within.

When you think about it most people can make do with local storage which is hugely faster so long as it holds their music, the data they want portable, and the needs of the phone itself.

Cloud storage is not about helping you, its about selling you. Anyone who thinks otherwise is seriously misunderstanding what its about.

Upvote 0
moto phones have a setting to Dim bright screens to save power. the setting is independent of screen brightness levels. it's suppose to be a power saving feature. perhaps there is a similar setting somewhere on the s4.

even still, that screen image is pretty crisp. and the s4 screen size shames the htc one considering it is the 'bigger' device.

Upvote 0
Given that the digital camera itself can't map the pixels of either one to one, and that we then have web and monitor digital transformations after that, I never trust any web photos of any digital screens for judging clarity, nor too much else.

The digital camera was pointed at two digital light sources, something that it wasn't intended to do.

Upvote 0
I have a new reason why I would still get an S4 over an HTC One despite the glowing reviews the HTC One has received. That issue is the Sense UI. HTC has dropped out many of the settings options that other Android phone users enjoy. I know I can use a different launcher if I want to but I choose not to. HTC seems to think they can control Android better than Google can. HTC restricts my ability to setup my phone the way I want it right out the box. HTC can kiss my tokus!

Upvote 0
even still, that screen image is pretty crisp. and the s4 screen size shames the htc one considering it is the 'bigger' device.
The One is a mm longer (with those speakers necessarily adding to length) but 2mm narrower, both to nearest mm. So you are right to put "bigger" in quotes. :)

Saw my first S4 yesterday. The owner was testing the camera at the time. I thought the screen colours were very badly off compared with what he was filming, but the owner had probably chosen different settings from what I would, so not really a test of the display. Most likely it just tells me I wouldn't like the defaults :).

Was in shade, so can't comment on daylight visibility, though it was moderately reflective. The pattern on the back is very distinct (black model), the chrome band round the side was obviously plastic to my eyes, the overall size looked fairly compact. Not much more I could say without handling it.

Upvote 0
Let's see:

S4:
Volume = 136.6 x 69.8 x 7.9 = 75323,972 cubic millimeters.

One:
Volume = 137.4 x 68.2 x 9.3 = 87147,324 cubic mm.

Which one is bigger?
The one's back isn't flat, so that calculation fails worse for the One than the S4 (which only curves right at the edges). Besides, screen area is constrained by front surface area (or width really), not volume.

I'm not dissing the S4 at all, and it does have a narrower bezel, which is good. But for things relevant to screen size, the One is actually smaller. I would have preferred a narrower bezel on the One, but if I were offered that I'd use it to reduce the size of the phone rather than increase the size of the screen (which I realise makes me weird ;)).

BTW I don't own either, and am currently considering both.

Upvote 0
The one's back isn't flat, so that calculation fails worse for the One than the S4 (which only curves right at the edges). Besides, screen area is constrained by front surface area (or width really), not volume.

I'm not dissing the S4 at all, and it does have a narrower bezel, which is good. But for things relevant to screen size, the One is actually smaller. I would have preferred a narrower bezel on the One, but if I were offered that I'd use it to reduce the size of the phone rather than increase the size of the screen (which I realise makes me weird ;)).

BTW I don't own either, and am currently considering both.

I do not own either, either, just giving you a heads up on the measurement. No one is going to calculate it any more than I did. Plus, as you noticed, S4 has a much bigger screen which makes it much more space efficient.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty far behind in this thread and didn't read what everyone said, but after seriously considering the one there ended up being way to much I didn't like about it. I hate sense, it is awful,I think it is the worst carrier skin available now. Only having a home and a back button was another terrible decision, the biggest thing I dislike about the phone. The camera is nice in low light and up close situations, but the 4 megapixels show in high resolutions, not to mention you don't want to zoom in at all on one of those photos. I really wanted to like the one but it is not for me. I love the way it looks, the metal is nice, although I think it's highly overrated. I came closer to getting the Xperia z than the one in the end, but it too had a few too many problems. I was really wanting to get somethin other than the s4 but, for me, it is by far the best phone available right now, and the one isn't even close

Upvote 0
Hey early..thoughts

Might be wrong but don't Samsung focus more on lowering reflections to increase visibility in sunlight over brightness due to the OLED display?

I'm sure Samsung could up the brightness but I wonder how long the battery or display would last.

Upvote 0
I own the ONE and have used the S4 a few times now. It's going to really come down to preference in the long run.

A lot of people like to talk smack about sense and touch wiz, and honestly I really don't like either, I like stock Vanilla...But as we know that's not going to happen right now without some rooting and all that jazz.

Anyway back to what we have on the S4 and ONE. Man you really can't go wrong with either one. I guess the reason I went with the ONE is because its so fresh with a new design, and after owning the S3 before my nexus 4 I just wanted something brand new that felt fresh to me, and the S3 just didn't strike me as that type of phone since it has basically a GS3s design from top to bottom. I know under the hood has been tweaked a lot and reviews have been very positive lately about the S4, I just felt like the ONE gave me something I'd been missing from Android for a while....that wow factor when you pick up the phone.

But I'd say to anyone in the market for a device right now...either is at the top of its game no matter which one you choose. I just hope moving along that this trend with using high grade materials like HTC did for the ONE trickles down to companies like Samsung in the future.

Reactions: ScandaLeX
Upvote 0
Hey early..thoughts
20130427_154818_zps0a33bcca.jpg

NO..BOTH PHONES ARE ON FULL BRIGHTNESS, power saver off...

sorry about the caps

I call BS and that's not something I usually do.

My S4 on full brightness might not be as bright as an HTC ONE but its brighter than that even outside.

Here is my S4 in full brightness
8700631807_2fcac6e89e_b.jpg

The screen caused the camera exposure problems making the room in the background look darker than it actually was, it was a bright sunny day, check the next picture when the screen was dulled down.

8701755496_4570fff05f_b.jpg

Upvote 0
Are you sure you mean that the way it could be read?

One thought: I've read that the screen colour profile setting alters the range of brightness. Might that be worth trying?

Sorry I'm not sure if you were meaning my post or Mr. Ed's?

What i'm meaning is I call BS that the phone is so dull on full brightness as in there must be a problem with the handset if it is like that not that Mr. Ed is lying !

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
I think the comparison was not on purpose, but it is obvious the comparison is wrong. Seems the auto brightness or some other setting is active. The S3 is TOO bright at full brightness and the S4s I have tried at At&t were as well.

Outside in sunlight the One is easier to see, but should be obvious due to the tech used.

Upvote 0
I think the comparison was not on purpose, but it is obvious the comparison is wrong. Seems the auto brightness or some other setting is active. The S3 is TOO bright at full brightness and the S4s I have tried at At&t were as well.

Outside in sunlight the One is easier to see, but should be obvious due to the tech used.

One is fantastic in the sunlight. Better then my iPhone 5 which was pretty good to be honest.

I will take my friends S4 outsiede as it's really sunny out here in NYC later on and report back : )

Upvote 0
I call BS and that's not something I usually do.

My S4 on full brightness might not be as bright as an HTC ONE but its brighter than that even outside.

Here is my S4 in full brightness
8700631807_2fcac6e89e_b.jpg

The screen caused the camera exposure problems making the room in the background look darker than it actually was, it was a bright sunny day, check the next picture when the screen was dulled down.

8701755496_4570fff05f_b.jpg

Yep, cameras adjust brightness so that you don't get bloom most of the time, therefor the brighter screen will look normal, and the dimmer screen will look even more dim.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones