• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Anyone have or working on modem files?

Stupidly last night, I accidentally flashed a Sprint stock .tar file in Odin. By searching the forums, I have managed to restore my phone virtually to stock Virgin Mobile. Everything on my phone works with the exception of WiFi and Bluetooth. I believe once I can flash the modem files on my phone, both WiFi and Bluetooth will be fixed and I will have a fully functioning phone. Can anyone help me?

OK, try flashing this in recovery. If it works, it will first backup your current modem to your sdcard as a flashable zip file so you can always go back to where you are now, then it installs the modem ripped out of my phone.

WARNING- THIS IS EXPERIMENTAL, ONLY ATTEMPT AS A LAST RESORT TO GET YOUR MODEM WORKING AGAIN, UNTIL TESTING HAS PROVED IT WORKS!

victory-vm-modem.zip

If it works, all thanks go to g60madman and xInterloperx!

Reactions: JohnLane94
Upvote 0
Well, I guess TeachMe is correct. TWRP successfully flashed the file, but it did not correct my WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity issues. I no longer need fixing, but I greatly appreciate everyone's effort in helping me fix my device. I just swapped it for a new one and it works beautifully. Lesson learned; never, ever, ever go without backing up everything and always make sure you have a file that will not corrupt your device unless you're willing to have a very expensive paperweight. One thing I believe we should make a goal for this forum however is to make a .tar file as a one-click fix for many of our issues here. I think it would save a lot of people from returning defective devices and perhaps more important, save them hours of frustration searching through the forum for a fix.

Upvote 0
Well, I guess TeachMe is correct. TWRP successfully flashed the file, but it did not correct my WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity issues. I no longer need fixing, but I greatly appreciate everyone's effort in helping me fix my device. I just swapped it for a new one and it works beautifully. Lesson learned; never, ever, ever go without backing up everything and always make sure you have a file that will not corrupt your device unless you're willing to have a very expensive paperweight. One thing I believe we should make a goal for this forum however is to make a .tar file as a one-click fix for many of our issues here. I think it would save a lot of people from returning defective devices and perhaps more important, save them hours of frustration searching through the forum for a fix.
Have you tried following these instructions (they have fixed several people's wifi related issues):

http://androidforums.com/5997674-post42.html

Upvote 0
I really appreciate everyone's effort on this, but I already have the replacement phone and I'm the assistant manager of the McDonald's inside the Walmart where I bought the phone so returning the old one will definitely not be an issue. I think the best thing I can do is say "lesson learned; don't flash anything I'm not 100% sure will work and BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP!" I also think we should seriously consider creating an Odin flashable recovery.tar file for anyone who really screwed up like I did as I'm sure there are countless other's who are in the same boat I was. I'd be willing to help in any way I could. Thank you so much for you're help JerryScript and of course g60madman and xInterloperx!

Upvote 0
I’m one of the people who mistakenly installed the Sprint tar.md5 to my VM SPH-L300. The exact sequence of things I did after that is too complex to remember but I know I used Odin to install a TWRP recovery to my device, then used TWRP to install a Conquest ROM zip and eventually found myself at the point where Kies showed this:

Current firmware version : PDA:MC1 / PHONE:MG5 / CSC: MC1 (VMU)

The phone could connect to the VM network so I could send & receive SMS but no Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. Didn’t know what to do. Looked on the net for info and decided to try Odin to install modems. Found this page:

http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...849-updated-op-vm-sgs3-stock-radio-fixed.html

I downloaded the file and applied it with Odin. I believe that Odin finished with a FAIL. Phone booted but still no Wi-Fi or BT. Found another modem here:

victory-vm-modem

Downloaded and installed it with TWRP. Still no Wi-Fi or BT. At this point for some reason I had the phone plugged in to Kies and Kies announced that there was a firmware upgrade for the phone! I followed the instructions, performed the upgrade and here is what Kies said afterward:

Service version : PDA:MG5 / PHONE:MG5 / CSC:MG5 (VMU)

For some reason Kies didn’t seem to recognize the need for an upgrade until I played around with the modems. As I write this my Victory is updating Google Apps over Wi-Fi. Also, I used Bluetooth headphones to listen to a YouTube video.

This all started when I tried to fix the BT problem with my Conquest ROM install. Custom Android ROMs are fun to play with but one good thing about stock: it works!

Upvote 0
Just to add a report, I also flashed the RWILCO12's ROM (really wouldn't hurt to label repositories Sprint or VM, I take it VP doesn't stand for Virgin). I got wifi back immediately after finally making space for the 3GBs Kies (didn't use?). I tried system upgrade and kernels and logcat to get bluetooth, gave up, TWRPed my old (also updated) system partition and it started working for reason, thank god!
Here's another thread regarding making a dd backup of the modem partion, which I plan to do next!:
http://androidforums.com/threads/oudhs-modem-backup-tool.697681/page-3

I'll attach my modem.img if someone can reassure me it doesn't have account info on it as I've read about one of these partitions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones