• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Green, sometimes Black, Screen - How do I transfer Photos and Files to Replacement?

I have a Samsung S22 Ultra (Verizon) that has a screen that was an oscillating green screen, then a solid green screen that looked like an algae puddle with layers and is now mostly black with a few green flashes every so often. I have requested a replacement phone which will arrive in a day or two.
A few weeks ago the front camera went opaque-ish and the image was blurry, then the camera started to get extremely hot, finally I noticed that the screen wasn't always responsive and often would black out when I opened an app and have to be woken up again.

I don't know if my phone was set to back up. I have a lot of photos I will be devastated to loose and some business data (downloads and texts) I don't want to loose either. I was hoping to be able to connect to the computer and just transfer photos and files to the computer (having done this in the past) but once connected, even though the computer recognizes the phone, it says there are no files. GULP. My computer recognizes it with bluetooth but what good is that if the phone screen doesn't work.

The phone reacts when plugged in. I hear notifications from e-mail, texts and messages. Someone has called and the phone rings. But with the screen wonky obviously I am not able to operate the phone and it's features.

Any suggestions on how to transfer my photos and files? Will a transfer take place between this phone and the new phone when they are connected with a cable even if the screen is nonfunctional? Has anyone tried to use the TV as a screen? I have a Samsung semi-smart TV with HDMI. I am just wrecked at the thought of loosing photos as I have been documenting a medical issue with one of my horses for 2 years, my daughter's wedding and on and on. I don't want to send this busted phone to the warranty center without retrieving this data but it's $250 if I don't send it in 30 days.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

log into Google Photos and see if your photos are there. google should automatically save your pictures on the cloud unless you disabled auto sync for google.

can you run Samsung Smart Switch on your phone?

Upvote 0
log into Google Photos and see if your photos are there. google should automatically save your pictures on the cloud unless you disabled auto sync for google.

can you run Samsung Smart Switch on your phone?

My screen is totally black now and unresponsive though every thing else seems to be working. I am hearing notifications, etc. I am hoping that when the replacement arrives that maybe smartswitch will work without input from the broken screen. I don't think I had/have Google photos.

Upvote 0
My screen is totally black now and unresponsive though every thing else seems to be working. I am hearing notifications, etc. I am hoping that when the replacement arrives that maybe smartswitch will work without input from the broken screen. I don't think I had/have Google photos.
Well let's hope that using Smart Switch when you're phone was at least minimally usable will have made at least one full backup on your data, and to an external source, like a computer. If that is the case, you should be able to use the Smart Switch utility on your new phone to restore your previous data.
Keep in mind that except for a few exceptions (i.e. WhatsApp data) that Smart Switch will be able to backup/restore your entire user account. Then it to from an old phone to a new one. Apps like Google Photos only pertain to photo and video content so that would only be part of your all your data.

If you don't have a Smart Switch full backup however, that could be a problem. The other alternative is to do a direct phone-to-phone transfer of your user account but that involves being at least some ability to do things on your old phone. It is a user interactive process, and on both phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones