Anyone not updating their dreams?

Last Updated:

1. Trenchant

Trenchant Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I personally don't plan on updating my dream. I would like to upgrade to a magic and use my dream as a development phone. I'd rather not wait for another security whole to open up allowing us to root our phones again.

I find it unacceptable that our internet continues to be blocked. They wanted my attention and they got it. Now they can kindly F*... You get the point ;)

But anyway hows everyone else approaching this? I contacted customer service a few days ago about an upgrade and asked them to remove the internet block. I was told it was. After rebooting my phone I still have no internet. Will it automatically become blocked until I upgrade?

Advertisement
  2. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

Don;t know for how long they will leave data turned off, or check phones.

I personally have not run the update yet, and I don't plan to until we know everything that's in it (RogerMary has promised many of us via Twitter to get us the build details... still waiting), and what bugs are in this bug fix.

In the mean time, it looks like the total cost to cancel Data is $100 max, which isn't too bad. I might do that once the 1 month free data is up. :)

3. GreatBigDog

GreatBigDog Well-Known Member

I updated my Magic but am leaving the Dream with CyanogenMod on it. If you do the Dream to Magic upgrade, as soon as Rogers detects you with the updated magic your data will be turned back on. You will then be able to use the Dream with data as well.

4. go50

go50 New Member

Did not upgrade since my DREAM and Magic is rooted.
    I do have data but the annoying SMS keeps coming everyday.

5. cmetaphor

cmetaphor Active Member

Also not updating or doing anything to my dream until i get a full explanation from Rogers, a changelist, a reason why it took them months to fix a serious problem, etc. Even then, i may just end up cancelling my data as well or ditch rogers completely for the hassle.

Time will tell.

OT: RogersMary posted once this morning in reply to one user... but ignored everyone else? How kind. At least make a general reassurance statement or something.

6. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

To be fair to Mary, she replied to that user because _I_ specifically sent her a DM on Twitter asking her to. She may not have had time to look through the rest of the forum this morning.

7. cmetaphor

cmetaphor Active Member

I suppose that's alright. However, it would be nice for a rep to reassure a community that's up-in-arms or panicking a little bit. Right now there are far too many people scratching their heads and waiting for answers without responses. Guess we just have to wait.

Till then, no update.

8. Trenchant

I called tech support again and asked them to re-enable my internet access. Apparently theres no way they can do it. The system automatically disables it according to your software version.

What rom are you running on your dream? I've heard some custom roms don't get internet.

I think I'm just going to root my phone now. I don't want to sit around without data for a month waiting for the free phone offer to come back.

9. GreatBigDog

GreatBigDog Well-Known Member

Find somebody that applied the update and swap phones (change the sim cards) for a day. That should fix you up.

10. damnmad

damnmad Well-Known Member

Same for me, but I'm afraid Rogers might not let us get Magics until we update our Dreams. That would be the end of my days with Rogers.

BTW I'm using my old Sony Ericsson. I asked a rep for a network refresh, but he didn't just do it. I had to reason him into doing that by telling him it should not affect my calls to 911 as I won't be using my Dream. He performed it for me, and I've had my data for a few days now, but THAT SUCKS. I didn't get a Dream to keep it at home.

11. Trenchant

Apparently some rom versions aren't being blocked. The trick is you have to call in and get a network refresh. But after that it won't be reblocked. If they give you a network refresh with a phone that isn't updated or not running a custom rom then the network will automatically block your internet.

If anyone with a working rom could post which one they're using that would be sweet.

12. yycken

yycken Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Works flawlessly both before and after the patch was issued. I haven't had to call in for a network refresh.

13. Trenchant

Which guide did you follow to root yours? From my understanding theres two versions of the radio you can update to and one of them won't let you run the original rogers rom?

14. yycken

yycken Well-Known Member

15. damnmad

damnmad Well-Known Member