• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anyone return an Evo because the bottom screen is separating

Some of you have to have this problem pretty major. Mine does it too a little, but I didn't notice. In the video, that certainly is pretty minor.

Anyone remember the Touch Pro's raised home key? I had some come up so high ON IT'S OWN that I could slide a penny in it. Almost ripped the whole bottom button off taking the phone out of my pocket once because the corner got caught on my pocket. I can't find a picture around of it now, but I'm sure there's plenty on PPCGeeks. With the EVO it seems like you gotta pry the glass up to try to be able to get something underneath. It's definitely a lot more solid.

I doubt I'll ever replace mine over it. Also, my kickstand squeaks like it's an old door that's never been oiled, it's terrible.

Upvote 0
Some of you have to have this problem pretty major. Mine does it too a little, but I didn't notice. In the video, that certainly is pretty minor.

Anyone remember the Touch Pro's raised home key? I had some come up so high ON IT'S OWN that I could slide a penny in it. Almost ripped the whole bottom button off taking the phone out of my pocket once because the corner got caught on my pocket. I can't find a picture around of it now, but I'm sure there's plenty on PPCGeeks. With the EVO it seems like you gotta pry the glass up to try to be able to get something underneath. It's definitely a lot more solid.

I doubt I'll ever replace mine over it. Also, my kickstand squeaks like it's an old door that's never been oiled, it's terrible.

Jeez, you think being able to stick your fingernail under the screen is minor:eek:
You must be sprints best customer, they saw you coming a mile away:thinking:

Upvote 0
I just checked mine that I got from Best Buy during the first batch and my screen is also a little raised at the bottom compared to the top where it sits slightly below the casing. I also notice that I have just the slightest light leakage directly to the left of the Home button and directly to the right of the Search button. You have to really look to notice it.

I really want to return it and get a new one also, but I have a few questions. First off I did not get the insurance at Best Buy so would this be a problem for me getting a new one? The other issue I am really concerned about is the battery. If I return it I'm really scared I will get a crappy battery because that seems to be the case right now where I feel like 20-30% of Evo owners are getting batteries that just won't hold charge very well where I can get a good 12+ Hrs out of mine with moderate usage.

I love this phone alot and it's my first smartphone, but this screen issue is really bugging me now :(

Upvote 0
Sprint has a 30 day guarantee

They will switch it out for you at best buy

just show them the screen

they may let you keep the battery not sure tho but worth to ask, i kept my sd card cuz i had photos on it that i didnt feel like losing

i let them give me the new battery tho

before they do the swap... just make sure you ask to inspect the new one as it could be worse haha

Upvote 0
Any chance you guys could show some pics of this? It would help to visualize what this looks like. Between this and the weak wifi/4G radio issue I'm glad I'm waiting for the next batch before I pull the trigger and buy the phone. Hopefully they will fix a lot of this little details. I still have my launch day pre so I really don't want to go through that again.

Upvote 0
Someone previously mentioned that tightening the 2 screws on the very back of the phone (with battery cover removed) helps with the issue, but for me, personally, this was not the case.

Some may think it's a minor issue, and perhaps it is, but for those of us who paid over $200 for this phone, which we will keep for at least a year, I believe it is vital for these issues to be fixed now, rather than later.

Another side-effect of the screen being raised/not being sealed well could be a higher chance of picking up dust beneath the screen, something like this may not be instantly noticeable, but could add up over time, so imo, better to deal with these issues now rather than later.

Every EVO I have seen that includes mine and more than several store demos had leaks at the bottom. I think its more of a design flaw than a defect. Now mine you can't see in normal lighting situations but take it to a totally dark room and I have light leaking oppsite every lower key not just one. Its a design flaw. Take your phones into a dark place and cover your bright screen with your hand and I will pay someone here that has no leaks at all under the keys. HTC handsets are just not top notch quality I first learned this from owning the Incredible for one month, You want a Lexus Phone? buy the Iphone Apple demands high build quality all the time.

Upvote 0
I have minor light leakage coming from under the search button and I did notice that my screen was a bit recessed on the top and sitting flush on the bottom. I checked my friend's EVO and his light leakage is far worse and goes along the entire bottom of the phone. I still have to check my other 2 devices but if its this minor, it will not be much of an issue for me.

I am no stranger to defective devices, I bought a launch day pre last year and went through about 7 of them (3 refurb, 4 new all exchanged with Palm Corporate) before I finally gave up and switched over to a Tour. The Pre had severe hardware issues and although there are a few flaws with this device, in my opinion, the build quality of this device is far superior.

Upvote 0
With my phone, I noticed when I first bought it that there is light leakage under the home and search buttons. I looked again last night and now there is slight light leakage on the lower left side closest to the home button also that wasn't there before.
Are you guys going to exchange them now (I got mine at RS)? Would I be better off exchanging it at the end of the month hoping to get a better batch but still within the 30 days?

Upvote 0
With my phone, I noticed when I first bought it that there is light leakage under the home and search buttons. I looked again last night and now there is slight light leakage on the lower left side closest to the home button also that wasn't there before.
Are you guys going to exchange them now (I got mine at RS)? Would I be better off exchanging it at the end of the month hoping to get a better batch but still within the 30 days?

some are better than others, can always replace (inspect first of course) and then see if it crops up again before the 30 days

i plan to keep a close eye on the construction of my newly replaced phone to see if it gets worse

Upvote 0
How?? The rep I spoke with insisted on me going to the store. I'll try again later :eek:

When I went into RS there were pretty useless, said they needed another 50 dollar deposit to get another phone coming because of the shortage. Asked for the # for corporate, they changed there tune, I just said no thanks the # please. Walked out and called corporate and logged my complaint, then called sprint and told them what happened and they said they would send me out a phone.
I hate screwing with people that are not willing to help me the first time around.:)

Sorry if I misunderstood what you said, but you bought your phone at RS and got Sprint to send you a replacement?

See above.

Upvote 0
He didnt say they were out of stock, he said "Unfortunately Best Buy is a third party distributor and I must ask you to wait on them to have stock, we can not replace phones from third party distributors or other channels"

Which makes sense, for the most part, but I'm pretty pissed to know that some reps are doing it, and some arent.

I also asked about the 70$ account credit for SP customers and they basically told me i was crazy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones