• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone seen a car dock?

Taking the iBolt dock back -- two reasons. First, and this is NOT the dock's fault, was hoping that using a dock would correct the problem with this POS phone in which it does NOT pair with my car BT most of the time. It did not -- and having the car app on the screen actually make for MORE work in trying to force this garbage phone to work! (note: my OLD HTC Dinc (1) paired without problems, so it's this phone).

Second, tried using the cable with the audio connector. Get a real LOUD, annoying buzzing sound and LOTS of static. Turning up the volume to actually hear the music and the phone calls doesn't help because that just turns up the buzzing and static.

Tried regular audio cable with phone connected to car Aux jack -- no buzz, no static.

Update: Discovered that this is a "common" problem with some mobile devices when both charging the device through USB and having the audio line connected. There are Ground Loop adapters that claim to remove this -- and I have ordered one. Will have to wait (probably a week) to see if that fixes this. Please note that, I did the same connections with my HTC Dinc (1) and did NOT get the Ground Loop problem.

Side note, for BT... If you are running any type of battery savers or task killers it might be messing with BT. Its a long shot but I have had that problem in the past. As someone mentioned in another post I too use a JVC and Bluetooth works 100% of the time... One of the reasons I went away from the HTC one x (Which runs a task killer from HTC to "Save battery").

Upvote 0
Well, I quit using the iBolt with the aux cable because, like so many others, despite using a ground loop isolator, the hum and buzz returned!

But, the good news is, using Car Home Ultra, the phone now pairs automatically with the BT in the car!

So, I'm back to using the card dock -- and it's great.

Upvote 0
All, here's a new YouTube video demo showing exactly how to use the CarHome Ultra application in the car with your preferred holding solution. If you are using an OEM dock, like the Samsung Infuse for the S III, or an aftermarket like our iBOLT.co dock the application will start by itself. If you are using any universal holder you can still use this type app but you have to start it with an NFC tag or click on it manually when you get into the car.

Note how you have speedometer, compass, real time address where you are on the main screen plus 30 "tiles" that you can use to insert shortcuts to apps, contacts or whatever you want.

Upvote 0
Using Car Home Ultra and the iBolt. I found it easy to just press down to turn off. My problem was I use it in my 4WD, the phone was turning itself on and off randomly on dirt roads. I've now "modified" (ground a large hole in!) the iBolt so I can now access the power button easily and it doesn't turn itself on or off. Very happy with the set-up now.

Cheers,
Mark

Upvote 0
I need a recommendation or two. I grew up in and most of my family lives in Rockaway, NY. I have been driving to and from Westchester all week and will be for a while. I need a dock that will hold the phone in the Convert case, what options are there right now. Has anything new sized for the Note 2 come out. I need one Asap. For example tomorrow morning I'm driving 25 gallons of gas and 10 more of diesel down. I need to make driving as safe as possible because I am on the phone constantly coordinating relief and family living arrangements

Upvote 0
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Exogear Exomount 2 Universal Car Mount for iPhone 5 Android Phone GPS Black

The Exogear Exomount 2 I received was defective. The ball joint was overtightened and was very difficult to get loose. Now it won't tighten down enough to hold the phone up.

I contacted Exogear by email this evening and hopefuly they send a replacement. Don't want to go through the reseller in case the problem is with the whole lot. This is why being an early adopter can bite you on the ass.

The positive is that the suction cup stayed on while I repeatedly wrestled with the nut on the ball joint trying to tighten it down.

Upvote 0
iBolt car dock for s3

8.jpg

Upvote 0
We at iBOLT are working on a solution for being able to dim the screen when in car mode. In a few weeks we'll have something more to share so be patient. Being able to dim down the screen while in car mode (Samsung sVoice or CarHome Ultra) would be great so stay tuned....

It would be nice if, "you at iBolt", made it able to hold the S3 with the Otterbox Defender case on the phone. A lot of people have their phones in this case... that's a lot of sales you are missing out on!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones