• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anyone use handcent with Droid x?

My StepDaughter is getting her X tomorrow. She is a huge TXTer and wants to know if there is an app, where she can do a voice command, and it will 'dictate' the TXT msgs for her to send?

Thanks! And I can't wait to get MY Dx!

Well, glad I picked the right thread then! I've seen VoiceText and didn't know how that compared...any one have pros/cons 'twixt the two?

One last question...does it transcribe into other apps..like Twitter? Or only for Texting?

You can talk and have your phone type in ANY text input. On the multi touch keyboard and the swype keyboard both there is a microphone button. That types whatever you are saying into any text field. Texting, email, twitter, blogs, anything where you would type you can speak. You don't need any 3rd party app to do that at all. It is pretty accurate overall too, and I have a pretty bad southern accent.

Reactions: N8WWD
Upvote 0
I can not get a background to work on my X. I had Handcent on my Incredible for months and it was an awesome app with zero flaws. I was able to customize it to perfection. Everytime I set a background with my X it sets it to my home page wallpaper, stretches and distorts the crap out of it. I still love Handcent and use it, although do not have a custom background, just using the black theme.

Upvote 0
I can not get a background to work on my X. I had Handcent on my Incredible for months and it was an awesome app with zero flaws. I was able to customize it to perfection. Everytime I set a background with my X it sets it to my home page wallpaper, stretches and distorts the crap out of it. I still love Handcent and use it, although do not have a custom background, just using the black theme.

Do you have the latest version? there was an update last week that fixed the home screen wallpaper bug.

Upvote 0
So to get this straight... handcent is a FREE APP, but that does not mean free texting correct?... I was thinking it was an option to drop my text messaging plan. just would like confirmation, thanks.

You are correct. You still need a texting plan with verizon. Handcent is just a different way of displaying texts on your phone if that makes sense.

Reactions: TrendyBull
Upvote 0
I've used Handcent on my Inc for months and loved it. Now on my X I can't get ANY background pics to load. I've done battery pulls, uninstalls/reinstalls of handcent - everything I can think of - it just won't put the pic in the background at all. I dl'd the latest version in the market, which was supposed to fix the problem but for my X it doesn't work at all.

Upvote 0
I've used Handcent on my Inc for months and loved it. Now on my X I can't get ANY background pics to load. I've done battery pulls, uninstalls/reinstalls of handcent - everything I can think of - it just won't put the pic in the background at all. I dl'd the latest version in the market, which was supposed to fix the problem but for my X it doesn't work at all.

I used it since December on my Droid and it worked great. When I got my X there were a few bugs but within 2 weeks of the X being released it worked great with the updates.

Upvote 0
I use it and have a custom led for when i get a text message its magenta and blue for when i get an email. handcent is way better then stock messenger IMO

Does HC control notifications for email? I thought it was just text. How would I set that up for emails (using Hotmail), and change LED color for that option as well? I want to differentiate between texts and emails.

Thanks!!
:thinking:

Upvote 0
It works great. The main reason I got it was for the popup/wake up when you get a text. I was tired of unlocking the screen, then pulling the notification bar to simply read a message. My LED notification does not work, but when the screen turns on and your message is already displayed, who cares?

Upvote 0
i have been using handcent and for the past several days it does not vibrate while my phones ringer is set to vibrate.

i currently have it set properly but it does not vibrate. i don't know for sure but i think the problem arose after the update. i know it vibrated before but just recently stopped.

does this happen to anyone else and anyone have any solutions?

Upvote 0
I used it since December on my Droid and it worked great. When I got my X there were a few bugs but within 2 weeks of the X being released it worked great with the updates.

I have been using chomp sms but prefer handcent. Just reinstalled handcent to try again and it still will not load images as a background. Its just a black screen image - no picture. Not sure what else I can do to get it to work right.

Upvote 0
i have been using handcent and for the past several days it does not vibrate while my phones ringer is set to vibrate.

i currently have it set properly but it does not vibrate. i don't know for sure but i think the problem arose after the update. i know it vibrated before but just recently stopped.

does this happen to anyone else and anyone have any solutions?

same here. no vibrate or audible notification. no led (of any kind) either.

pop-up was nice but i need some type of notification. just uninstalled and went back to stock. maybe i should try to reinstall?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones