• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

APK Black market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayola

Lurker
Jul 29, 2010
Is it risky to install APKs found on the interwebz to my phone if i have scanned them with an antivirus first? (AVG) Would antivirus even pick anything up?

I want betterkeyboard for free because the HTC_IME has me sadly disappointed :( Thank you for whatever halp you may have :D

Welcome to the forum! :D

A couple of observations:

icon4.gif
You say that you want [a paid app] for free. That alone might be enough to get you in hot water with the admins, so for the sake of discussion I'm going to assume that I misread your intention. :cool:

Scanning APK files with [a Windows anti-virus program] may protect your Windows pc from being infected by a malicious download, but it won't do anything for your Android. It would seem that there are no viruses for the Android platform (but that might change of course). As you note, your scanner is probably not even capable of detecting threats to Android.

No matter where you got your app, it should ask for permissions at install-time, and that's where you should pay attention -- as always.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones