• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App for launcher management?

EzRay

Lurker
Jul 10, 2012
Hi,

I thought I was very smart and I downloaded Go Launcher HD on my transformer 300. The goal was to make my tablet kid friendly and make it that the kids can't mess with my apps and personal data by dedicating the home screen of the new launcher to their apps and then using Go Launcher to hide all other apps on the tablet. Then I thought I would be able to switch back to my personal (default) home/launcher, with all my apps and widgets exactly where I left them, by using the home switcher app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ymst.android.homeswitcher&hl=en).

The problem is, no matter which launcher I am on, pressing the home button always launches the default launcher. This means that when my kids are playing angry birds and press the home button they are taken to the default launcher with all my apps on it and not to their launcher with their apps.

Is there a way to make ICS stay on a launcher until explicitly told to switch? I realize I can change the default launcher each time, but it is more cumbersome than I had hoped. Any ideas?

AH... interesting conundrum. I use Home Manager (since I like switching launchers every so often), and I can see where it would not help in your situation.

The one thing I can suggest with Home Manager is a slightly tedious workaround: the app allows you to clear default home. I cannot remember if Home Switcher does this as well, but you could change the default every time you gave it to the kids. Again, not the smoothest arrangement, but it could work for you.

So basically, you would clear default home, select launcher (optionally set it as default), give to kids, and then repeat when they are done.

Upvote 0
Well im using the Xperia Home Launcher and Mobo Launcher, I would set the Xperia as the default home launcher so when they push home it would always be the Home screen. Since mobo Launcher enables me to switch to it by using an icon I would put Mobo Launchers Icon on hide(with Xperia launcher) and when I want to use it unhide the Mobo launchers icon to access my private settings.

Thats just how I did it, hope thats helps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones