• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[APP] GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

we are using two different accounts. and i mean it wont connect on its won after when it disconnect. we will have to go back to setting and enter Google name and password all over again. it wont save the login information

Restarting the phone didn't help? Shouldn't have to re-renter the username/password. You can accomplish the same thing by un-checking and then re-checking the Allow 3G/4G calling checkbox. It's pretty much forcing the app to re-register. We depend on a callback from the phone to tell us when the network is back up. My guess is that callback isn't coming, that's why I suggested restarting the phone to see if that fixes it.

Otherwise we can likely make a change to poll the connectivity state instead of depending on the callback and make that an option in the next release.

Upvote 0
Actively polling to check for network connectivity seems like a better option than relying on the phone to callback. Maybe add a drop down to select the number of seconds between checks. The nature of 3G is such that you may be connected one second and out of range another.. The goal should be to re-connect as soon after a connection is available again to minimize missed calls. Just my two cents :)

Thanks,
Dan

Upvote 0
Actively polling to check for network connectivity seems like a better option than relying on the phone to callback. Maybe add a drop down to select the number of seconds between checks. The nature of 3G is such that you may be connected one second and out of range another.. The goal should be to re-connect as soon after a connection is available again to minimize missed calls. Just my two cents :)

Thanks,
Dan

The callback would be the quickest way to know connectivity is back, since the phone will tell you as soon as connectivity is back. I actually have never seen the callback fail. But what you describe leads me to believe that is what is happening on your phone. Looking through our logic now incase something is wrong in our handling.

Upvote 0
Down loaded it yesterday. It looks like a nice little app. So far I like it, the price was right, the author responded quickly to a question. Running it on an Sprint HTC Evo 4G stock unrooted w/ android 2.2 . Got it running in about a half hour. the only concern i might have is that i am told my outgoing audio is randomly "stuttering" like a "machine gun". I called my desk phone to hear it and i sounded quite a bit like m-m-m-m-max h-h-h-h-headroom. (showing my age?) there is a few to several second delay when it happens. i only have 2 bars on signal down here in the "pit", maybe thats a contributing factor? All in all,i know i will have to "play" a bit with the settings. Just my 2 cents from the peanut gallery.

Upvote 0
Down loaded it yesterday. It looks like a nice little app. So far I like it, the price was right, the author responded quickly to a question. Running it on an Sprint HTC Evo 4G stock unrooted w/ android 2.2 . Got it running in about a half hour. the only concern i might have is that i am told my outgoing audio is randomly "stuttering" like a "machine gun". I called my desk phone to hear it and i sounded quite a bit like m-m-m-m-max h-h-h-h-headroom. (showing my age?) there is a few to several second delay when it happens. i only have 2 bars on signal down here in the "pit", maybe thats a contributing factor? All in all,i know i will have to "play" a bit with the settings. Just my 2 cents from the peanut gallery.

Try setting the incoming and outgoing audio processing in troubleshooting. If that doesn't fix it then try increasing the mic buffer from medium to large or x-large. Let me know if that helps :)

Upvote 0
Some parts of the conversation come through ok, but a lot of it is chopped up. when it does chop up, there is a definite delay hearing the audio on the target phone. some times as much as seven seconds. but from from target phone to evo seems to be decent most of the time. have played with trouble shooting settings; buffer and volume and mic gain, etc. will try again tonight when in different location so different cell tower(and maybe different network access point??? ) is in use. will also go on home pc and make sure NO phones are checked in gv and try again. peanut gallery out.

Upvote 0
Currently I have my VM Optimus V connected to an XLink gateway via bluetooth so I can make and receive calls over my cell phone using a standard telephone. Is there a way to make this setup work with GrooVe IP?

Xlink gateway: Amazon.com: Xtreme Technologies Xlink BT Bluetooth Gateway (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

I was thinking about buying an OBi110 device in order to use my Google Voice number with a standard phone but it would be nice if I could save the $50 and just use GrooVe IP with the hardware I already have.

Upvote 0
Currently I have my VM Optimus V connected to an XLink gateway via bluetooth so I can make and receive calls over my cell phone using a standard telephone. Is there a way to make this setup work with GrooVe IP?

Xlink gateway: Amazon.com: Xtreme Technologies Xlink BT Bluetooth Gateway (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

I was thinking about buying an OBi110 device in order to use my Google Voice number with a standard phone but it would be nice if I could save the $50 and just use GrooVe IP with the hardware I already have.

I honestly have no idea.

Upvote 0

The Xlink is essentially just a bluetooth headset as far as the phone is concerned. I asked the dev about support for bluetooth devices the other day and he said it was something they are working on.

I have the Xlink and I have been able to make outgoing calls with my regular phone as long as the Xlink is paired with my cell phone, but incoming calls do not get routed to bluetooth, and therefore do not ring my regular phone. As soon as that is working in Groove IP you should be able to use your Xlink for both calling out and receiving calls.

Upvote 0
I just bought this app and it seems to be working fine except for one thing, when I receive a call I get the voice prompt to Dial 1 or 2 to answer or send to voicemail.

I have the box checked to Accept calls on answer, but I still get it every time I receive a call.

Is there something that I'm missing? This is on a Nexus One running 2.3.4 connecting through wifi.

Upvote 0
I just bought this app and it seems to be working fine except for one thing, when I receive a call I get the voice prompt to Dial 1 or 2 to answer or send to voicemail.

I have the box checked to Accept calls on answer, but I still get it every time I receive a call.

Is there something that I'm missing? This is on a Nexus One running 2.3.4 connecting through wifi.

Which version of the app do you have?

Upvote 0
Hey!

I just bought the app a few days ago and registered here to tell you that it's nice to see a developer who keeps up on things, responds to, and fixes issues!

Everything works as advertised. There's about a 200-500ms lag on me hearing the caller, but they can hear me instantly. I'm guessing this'll be improved over time, though. Regardless, it's well worth the $3.99 or 4.99, heh.

I have a few questions regarding the upcoming build with the Bluetooth stuff in it. I'm using a Motorola Xoom Tablet, if it matters:

• Are you making it possible so that when a call is answered or placed, it goes by default to the Bluetooth headset rather than the speaker phone?

• Are you making it possible to answer calls via a BT headset rather than the interface?

• When the screen turns off, the phone is immediately dumped to speaker phone if it was on Bluetooth. I have the Keep Screen On option on to see if that'd help, but it doesn't work; the tablet's screen still shuts off after the normal time. I don't care if the screen goes off, but I would like the call to stay on Bluetooth.

Thanks!

-Behr

Upvote 0
This question is for snrb and all:

I am using groove ip 1.1.3 and google voice, and try to dial into the conference call. After the prompt for "conference id", the id is always not recognized. I test the call using the mobile network, everything is fine. I am using LG optimus V phone, any idea to address this? DTMF tone not long enough? Thanks a lot!

Upvote 0
This question is for snrb and all:

I am using groove ip 1.1.3 and google voice, and try to dial into the conference call. After the prompt for "conference id", the id is always not recognized. I test the call using the mobile network, everything is fine. I am using LG optimus V phone, any idea to address this? DTMF tone not long enough? Thanks a lot!

We'll take a look. We had increased the DTMF, might need to be increased some more. We tested against bestbuy and few other automated systems. If you know of a number we can dial that always fails let me know and we'll use that to test any fix.

Upvote 0
Hey, thanks for the app. Hope we can get it working. Here is my situation:

My wife and I have two Epic 4g's each with gv accounts that are synced to our Sprint phone numbers. Neither of us are currently loggin into a gv account on a laptop, or any other computer. We are connected to a wi-fi network that allows VOIP, and is not currently blocking any outbound ports. I have installed grooveIP on both phones, but there are a couple of issues:

When I call a non-US number, they cannot hear my voice, if it connects. Mostly I need to call Hungarian mobile numbers;

The GrooveIP app constantly tells us that it is not registered, then it is, then it isn't, then it is, over and over again.

I can call my wife's phone, and if we are both currently green then it will connect but there is serious delay in voice, like calling overseas in the 90s.

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong, or if the app just doesn't address my needs.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hey!

I just bought the app a few days ago and registered here to tell you that it's nice to see a developer who keeps up on things, responds to, and fixes issues!

Everything works as advertised. There's about a 200-500ms lag on me hearing the caller, but they can hear me instantly. I'm guessing this'll be improved over time, though. Regardless, it's well worth the $3.99 or 4.99, heh.

I have a few questions regarding the upcoming build with the Bluetooth stuff in it. I'm using a Motorola Xoom Tablet, if it matters:

Upvote 0

My wife and I have two Epic 4g's each with gv accounts that are synced to our Sprint phone numbers. Neither of us are currently loggin into a gv account on a laptop, or any other computer. We are connected to a wi-fi network that allows VOIP, and is not currently blocking any outbound ports. I have installed grooveIP on both phones, but there are a couple of issues:

When I call a non-US number, they cannot hear my voice, if it connects. Mostly I need to call Hungarian mobile numbers;

The GrooveIP app constantly tells us that it is not registered, then it is, then it isn't, then it is, over and over again.

I can call my wife's phone, and if we are both currently green then it will connect but there is serious delay in voice, like calling overseas in the 90s.

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong, or if the app just doesn't address my needs.

Thanks.

Hi,

Sorry you're having problems with the app! I did find a bug where the app didn't re-register automatically if there was an error in sign in. But I don't think that is related to the constant sign-in you're seeing. Any way you could try over 3g or on a different network and see if that works better? Also, if you are connected to that network, can you go into your phone settings->wireless & networks->Wi-Fi settings. And see if you notice the Wi-Fi status changing when the app disconnects. Under the Wi-Fi checkbox it should have status like scanning or connected or obtaining ip. If the Wi-Fi state keeps changing that would be one thing that would cause the app to keep re-registering.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Sorry you're having problems with the app! I did find a bug where the app didn't re-register automatically if there was an error in sign in. But I don't think that is related to the constant sign-in you're seeing. Any way you could try over 3g or on a different network and see if that works better? Also, if you are connected to that network, can you go into your phone settings->wireless & networks->Wi-Fi settings. And see if you notice the Wi-Fi status changing when the app disconnects. Under the Wi-Fi checkbox it should have status like scanning or connected or obtaining ip. If the Wi-Fi state keeps changing that would be one thing that would cause the app to keep re-registering.

Thanks. The wi-fi network is stable as I can check email, google news, etc. I cannot try a 3g or 4g network as I have US Sprint, and my phone is not xnational capable. I am going to be overseas (in Europe) for several weeks, and being able to receive and make calls using my established number is critical. The GV icon constantly seems to go to 'Red' as it's default setting even though I have it set to load with Droid.

I don't mean to lay this at your feet. Google/ Sprint told me that my phone would be able to make calls using the GV app on my Epic, and that clearly isn't possible out of the box. Seriously need a solution to this.

Thanks heaps!

Upvote 0
Thanks. The wi-fi network is stable as I can check email, google news, etc. I cannot try a 3g or 4g network as I have US Sprint, and my phone is not xnational capable. I am going to be overseas (in Europe) for several weeks, and being able to receive and make calls using my established number is critical.

I don't mean to lay this at your feet. Google/ Sprint told me that my phone would be able to make calls using the GV app on my Epic, and that clearly isn't possible out of the box. Seriously need a solution to this.

Thanks heaps!

No problem. If you could, please still look at that Wi-Fi status and let me know if it's changing at all. And if possible try a different Wi-Fi network.

Do you know how to collect logcat from the phones? Or pull files from the phone? The only thing I can think of is that maybe the Wi-Fi is changing between connecting and connected...but there could be something else and without logs it's almost impossible for me to figure out what.

Oh another thing to try is in troubleshooting, click the "Keep Screen Alive" checkbox. It could be your Wi-Fi chip going into a powersaving mode when the screen turns off that is causing your bad call quality.

Upvote 0
No problem. If you could, please still look at that Wi-Fi status and let me know if it's changing at all. And if possible try a different Wi-Fi network.

Do you know how to collect logcat from the phones? Or pull files from the phone? The only thing I can think of is that maybe the Wi-Fi is changing between connecting and connected...but there could be something else and without logs it's almost impossible for me to figure out what.

Oh another thing to try is in troubleshooting, click the "Keep Screen Alive" checkbox. It could be your Wi-Fi chip going into a powersaving mode when the screen turns off that is causing your bad call quality.

I have been using my skype number for the past 45+ minutes on the phone with Sprint trying to get their stuff worked out so I know that the wi-fi is stable, in fact I am still on the phone with them now.

I do already have Keep Screen alive set. Don't know how to get the logcat data.

Upvote 0
I have been using my skype number for the past 45+ minutes on the phone with Sprint trying to get their stuff worked out so I know that the wi-fi is stable, in fact I am still on the phone with them now.

I do already have Keep Screen alive set. Don't know how to get the logcat data.

Hi,

Send me an email. snrb.labs@gmail.com. I've got a logging build I can send you that should hopefully tell us why the app keeps registering/unregistering.

The delay when calling GrooVe IP to GrooVe IP will get better in subsequent releases.

Is it every number you call that the person can't hear you? You can try increasing the mic gain to see if that helps. That will increase the volume of the voice the app sends out. Another thing you can try is enabling the incoming and outgoing audio processing checkboxes in troubleshooting to see if that helps.

Upvote 0

Thanks.

I see the same thing.. Constantly going to red then back to green. Sometimes it stays red when I'm on 2g/EDGE and doesn't go back to green until I have a Wifi or 3G connection. I also noticed every time I open Google Market it goes red, then goes back to green a few seconds later..

Upvote 0
Bought the app about a week ago; nice to see updates pouring in during that time. I love to see an active dev!

I have no connexion issues. Incoming calls are received fine, and outgoing works like a boss. My problem is with the call quality. I can usually hear the incoming call just fine, but my voice, on their end, is a bit delayed (by .5-1.5 seconds, roughly) and VERY choppy. I've tried about all the tweaks I can with mic gain and advanced settings; any ideas on what I could do?

Dell streak 7 on T-Mobile. Your app is making a splash with S7 users, by the way, for ease of use; but the choppiness is killing me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones