app to limit text messages?

Last Updated:

1. samtr87

samtr87 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I only have the 200 text message plan, and with my old phone I didn't really text much. But now that I've learned how to use swype, I find myself texting a lot more. Is there an app that I can set a limit on the number of texts in a time span?

Advertisement
  2. Extract0r

Extract0r Well-Known Member

You can text for free using a google voice account.

I have blocked incoming and outgoing texts by calling the at&t customer service but can still send and receive free text messages via my google voice number.

samtr87 likes this.
  3. samtr87

Nice. Is there somewhere to enable it?

4. Extract0r

Extract0r Well-Known Member

https://www.google.com/voice

Google voice will assign you a phone number which you can use for sending and receiving text messages.

You can download google voice app from the android market for your device to complete the setup.

I use google voice mainly for voicemail and making free international calls to Canada.

5. samtr87

But what number will my recipients see when they get my sms? AT&T or Google Voice?

6. baji

baji Well-Known Member

The number Google Voice assigns your account.

7. qwertyaas

qwertyaas Well-Known Member

A question about Google Voice. Can I just give the GV number to those that I text frequently so they will text me on the GV number and others can still text me on my regular phone number (I have a 200 text plan).

This way I can talk unlimited with close friends and those that I just stay in contact with everynow and then can continue to text my real phone number.

Is that possible?

8. MeVirtually

MeVirtually Active Member

That's what I did. As I got used to GV I also started giving that number out to friends as my voice number, though I don't really make/receive calls much. The annoying thing I've found is that since I have GV set to email me notification of the text, the email or the text itself can be slightly laggy. So I get notified by email or text while reading the message from the other. I could stop the email, but I like to be sure that I get them in timely fashion.