• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apple dumping Google Maps

T

TxGoat

Apple Prepares to Dump Google Maps

This ought to be good. It'll force Google to improve their maps. I love it when big companies go after each other. It's always a win-win for consumers. I've found Google Maps to be a little bit sloppy. I've had the voice navigation take me 2 miles to make a U-turn only to find myself back where I was to begin with. WTH Google maps?!?! Lets hope Google Maps steps up its game to steal Apple's thunder.

Apple Prepares to Dump Google Maps

This ought to be good. It'll force Google to improve their maps. I love it when big companies go after each other. It's always a win-win for consumers. I've found Google Maps to be a little bit sloppy. I've had the voice navigation take me 2 miles to make a U-turn only to find myself back where I was to begin with. WTH Google maps?!?! Lets hope Google Maps steps up its game to steal Apple's thunder.

I had a Google Maps fail today too. So I'm in full agreement with you here.

Upvote 0
If only there was a divider. It told me to go 1 mile north, then make a U-turn, and then my destination was on the right, instead of "your destination is on the left" when I actually came to my destination (2 way street, no divider)....

There is a reason for this. Legally speaking, if the line is SOLID, you're not allowed to cross it.
(In most states in the USofA)

Upvote 0
To be fair, generally I get on with it quite well usually. Its helped me out of a few tricky spots. My only real gripe is when you put it into that rotating elevated view. Works well until you want to zoom in or out and it kicks you back to standard birds eye.

I haven't seen one GPS that does it all right, and I've used A LOT of Nav units. Google maps is great in a pinch, but a dedicated Nav unit is still much, much better.

Upvote 0
I've used Nokia/Ovi Maps and Google Maps most often. Both are OK. They may give you some questionable directions sometimes, but they do get you to your destination. Occasionally, they may have quirks. Just this week, Google Maps told me to drive through a parking lot instead of the road that goes around it, but that is generally rare. In any case, I got to where I needed to go. No GPS today is going to be perfect and often a person who knows the city well is going to give better driving directions.

One feature I have on Nokia Maps that I would like on Google Maps is lane indicators. Nokia Maps tells you how many lanes there are in an upcoming intersection/interchange and tells you which lanes you should take. Another feature that would be nice is the ability to store the maps on your phone for offline navigation.

I am interested to see Apple's new mapping software. I will definitely be comparing it to Google Maps.

Upvote 0
You guys seem to forget that due to construction and other things cause changes all the time and maps are always updating, Even garvin/tomtom or using online pages such as mapquest ALL can give you wrong turns and directions sometimes nothing is perfect but i can tell you this, It is better then anything apple offers lol so they are only hanging themselves and acting like babies over a touch screen system that they ripped off from LG anyway lol If ya ask me apple is acting like a 2 yr old throwing a tantrum just like jobs did. Apple thinks it's ok to use everyone elses ideas but when the role is reversed they run and sue and say "we own that" when the fact is nothing in Ios is original that hasn't been done by some one else before apple just didn't take off in popularity as iphone did that's all.

How is this a good thing for consumers by apple suing everyone ? Their trying to monopolize the market like MS and bell did and look what the gov did to them lol

Which is why over the years while apple spends all there money suing everyone for stuff that isn't even their work trying to own the world and not advancing in anything google spends it's time and money bettering itself and moving forward in technology and if you ask me android surpassed ios long time ago all iphones are the same junk i2,i3,i4,i4s all same boring phone and features nothing has advanced at apple other then them switching from 2g to 3g to 4g then LTE 4g lol otherwise their all virtually identicle phones.

So if ya ask me apple acting like idiots only hurts everyone. What would the world be like today if ever single person that had a idea said that nobody could use it or make anything even similar or they would sue lol the world would get nowhere. Technology is something to be shared with all for the better good not used for greedy profit margins. Which is why google advances because they are open minded to share ideas and has many companies gladly helping them while apple sits back alone sue happy and burning all their bridges with every company on earth.

Upvote 0
:D

Steve Jobs (RIP) created a monstor as in Apple. They are suing all phone manufacturers for patent violations.

Apple may become a wirelss provider.

Apple Might Become Its Own Cellular Wireless Service Provider

They may buy some existing wireless provider.

I guess then they will sue Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T and Sprint for violating some kind of service patent or service delievry patent.

So they are dumping App service providers like Google. Later they will dump the Wireless providers itself.

They want to create a unique ecology and want to dominate that space. Monopoly - House/Senate are you paying attention?

This monster needs to be stopped right now!

Apple fan boys are feeding this monster by buying into Apple products as if it is some kind of cult or hypnosis.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones