• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apple pushes updated to iPhones why not Android?

I want to start by saying I am not looking to start a war or fight, etc. Just want to get my question answered (not who is better, etc.)

Seems that Apple pushes out software updates to their phones, but not Android or Virgin Mobile / HTC.

I know that Apple is the hardware manufacturer but they have various versions with different hardware on them.

Why can't HTC or Virgin Mobile do the same? Test it out (or is that the thing, no money / time / energy / effort to "test?" and then release the update?

Just frustrating that other people get "THEE" update and others are on "older" versions.

I am happy with my "old" phone, but would like to get some COOL "Shiney" new software and stuff!

I am scared / uncertain of how to "root" so I don't.

But would like some constructive discussion on why the maybe / is the case.

Thank you!

Why it isn't Google is easy: they don't make your phone. If you have an HTC with Virgin software then it relies on HTC providing an update and _then_ Virgin deciding that they think it is worth the effort of making their changes to that and distributing it.

Apple don't let the network modify the software (a result of hardball negotiation by SJ and a unique market power), and actually only have 3-4 models to support (because the older models don't get the update). So it is entirely in their hands, and they have fewer models to support.

Yes, it would be good if more manufacturers provided updates faster and for longer, though achieving that is hard if carriers are involved. But it is a cost, and I suspect many/most owners don't actually notice if they don't provide many updates (people here are atypical of smartphone owners).

For the manufacturer, it must be a balance between maintaining enough customer satisfaction that they buy another of their phones rather than go to a rival, vs delaying that next purchase.

One other reason Apple are different is that they get money from app or music purchases as long as you keep using an iPhone. HTC only get anything if you buy another HTC (Samsung try with their own app store, but does anyone actually use that?).

No insider knowledge, just a mix of observation and speculation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones