• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apple Sues HTC For Patent Infringement

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Engadget, the lawsuit doesn't include multi-touch. The patent that included heuristics was actually amended upon approval which doesn't include multi-touch pinch. Specifically, it's how a touch device scrolls (see Engadget for videos). Apple is going after Android through HTC. This will be an interesting battle and I wonder if Google will join this battle.

Upvote 0
The ‘849 Patent, entitled "Unlocking A Device By Performing Gestures On An Unlock Image," was duly and legally issued on February 2, 2010 by the United States Patent and Trademark Office. A copy of the ‘849 Patent is attached hereto as Exhibit C.

I've got a gesture for you Stevie... Get a fuggin' life!

Upvote 0
I have a felling that this is going to prove a bad move by Apple, I think it's likely that Apple going on this spree of patent lawsuits is going to lead to some serious patent reform. It's obvious that patent law needs some serious modifications to cope with new technology, and I think Apple has no right to many of its patents. How can you patent gestures and such that are so 'common sense' in their nature? I understand patenting the code for many of those elements but they have attempted to patent the general idea in many cases. This is all besides the point, as I'm sure HTC will have a strong counter suit as they have been in the business much longer and chances are Apple has infringed on several of HTC's patents.

Apple is creating a sea of enemies in the business world and are hurting the consumer at the same time, I'm waiting to see how this hurts them as a company.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones