• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Cannot Be Stored in 8GB Internal Memory.

I think the intent was to allocate some of the flash memory for direct app installation and something got screwed up in the process. The on-board flash is new territory, so probably some security protocol of the framework was messed up. The memory is not even mentioned in the manual. Seems all very "last minute" as far as thought and design. since the data access issue or flash is not mentioned in the user's guide.

Built-in flash is new territory for Android devices and does not seem to have been thought out well, prior to release of Inc.

Still, the reported weaker phone reception than the Droid has me more concerned. It will be fun testing them both at the same time. I will not change over my Tmo phone number until I see which one has the best signal. Droid is known to have great signal reception, so hoping Inc is the same. I like not having to turn off the phone to swap sd cards, so hoping Inc wins out.

Upvote 0
I think the intent was to allocate some of the flash memory for direct app installation and something got screwed up in the process. The on-board flash is new territory, so probably some security protocol of the framework was messed up. The memory is not even mentioned in the manual. Seems all very "last minute" as far as thought and design. since the data access issue or flash is not mentioned in the user's guide.

Built-in flash is new territory for Android devices and does not seem to have been thought out well, prior to release of Inc.

Still, the reported weaker phone reception than the Droid has me more concerned. It will be fun testing them both at the same time. I will not change over my Tmo phone number until I see which one has the best signal. Droid is known to have great signal reception, so hoping Inc is the same. I like not having to turn of the phone to swap sd cards, so hoping Inc wins out.

When testing signal strength, just make sure to do it from debug mode and not just by comparing "bars". There have been situations in the past where software bugs have made phones display less signal than what they actually see.

Upvote 0
Still, the reported weaker phone reception than the Droid has me more concerned. It will be fun testing them both at the same time. I will not change over my Tmo phone number until I see which one has the best signal. Droid is known to have great signal reception, so hoping Inc is the same. I like not having to turn off the phone to swap sd cards, so hoping Inc wins out.

Funny, one of the reviews I read said exactly the opposite...that they were able to pull a signal while UNDERGROUND on the subway in NY and they hadn't seen a phone able to do that.

Upvote 0
When testing signal strength, just make sure to do it from debug mode and not just by comparing "bars". There have been situations in the past where software bugs have made phones display less signal than what they actually see.

Very good point :) I will also go to "fringe" coverage areas that I recall Droid going from 3G to 1X. Fringe areas are ideal for seeing what phone has the best reception- streaming Youtube vids in those areas are a very practical test. I will test the same videos on both devices.

I gots' to know! ;)

Upvote 0
Funny, one of the reviews I read said exactly the opposite...that they were able to pull a signal while UNDERGROUND on the subway in NY and they hadn't seen a phone able to do that.

Depending where in NYC, there is good coverage in some underground lines and stations. The statement is more a tribute to the carrier signal, rather than phone reception. Need two phones to compare. The reviews that pointed out the reception issues compared with other phones. That review did not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones