• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps missing and nonfunctioning, and homescreen change

driftscape

Lurker
Jan 9, 2021
A few days ago I had my phone charged at my desk around 80%. I took a nap and when I woke up, my phone was dead. I charged it and noticed that it was taking much longer than usual to finish starting up. When I checked, my home screen app grid had changed. I used to have three choices for it and now I have two. I had the one where I could drag two apps and create a folder, push and hold down the screen to bring up the widget selection. It changed to EasyHome. EasyHome and Home & app drawer are the only to I can select. I don't like either one because it forces having the apps app on my screen which I have to select to get to my apps. I noticed I had apps missing and many of them that no longer work having the green android icon on them. I removed those and re-installed them and some work while others don't want to respond forcing me to close it. The weather default app no longer wants to open so I can set my location. And there is some other strange thing that has been going on before this happened. When I'm in settings my screen flashes and back tracks to the start or it will it will bring up the selection of changing my current actions (bottom square button). If it even matters, I have an LG Tribute HD (2016). I've taken care of it. It's pretty much in mint condition and never spilled anything on it.

Is this a bug, virus or some OS update without my concent?

yep lets call this planned obsolescence. its most likely a glitch, but expect more of this as your device gets older. you will also run into your device slowing down as well as apps will slowly stop working. its mainly because app developers will stop supporting older android versions.

Well that sucks... I'm just a simple person, but I can see it from a business stand point. I guess it's time for an upgrade.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones