• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are Rush Limbaugh & Glenn Beck on the Mark

All I know is that while the 2nd Amendment is important, Jefferson, Adams, Franklin, etc could have NO IDEA what firearms would become. FFS, flintlocks hadn't changed that much in the prior near, what, 150 odd years since their development from wheelocks? And within 100 years, we had the Henry, Spencer, Colt Peacemaker, Winchester, etc. If you equipped one in 10 American soldiers with one of those during the Revolutionary War, the British would have been soundly beaten even faster. And that's with Wild West frakking guns. If you showed the Founders today a m16, Ak-47, electric minigun, a bloody AA-12 shotgun, they MIGHT rethink the wording of the 2nd amendment. I say that and I happen to love guns and gun history.

Upvote 0
Actually, the current extremist view of the 2nd amendment is new - like really, really new: it changed in 2008 - yes, just 6 years ago.

Prior to that, the militia part of the wording had trumped the bear arms bit for the entire 217 year history of the amendment. The people who drew up the constitution actually lived perfectly happily with gun control: how anyone can argue they were against it defies belief.

In fact, not even the NRA thought the 2nd amendment was absolutist until the 80s when it's leadership was taken over by a bunch of right winger nutters. It's amazing how effective nutters can be in changing perceptions - and the constitution :rolleyes:

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
Wow. What about left wing mutters and their interpretation. We suggest you reread your history again.

shhh... theses extremists believe they have the ability to breathe and form thoughts at the same time.... dont disturb them

they believe because an anti-gun scrap magazine posts an article claiming something then its true....... they dont realize theres case law over the 2nd dating back in the 1800s that clearly proclaims the 2nd is about individual rights........ guess that doesnt fit into the authors narrative

nor do they realize there was revolving multi-fire HIGH (think mortar size) caliber weaponry built in the early 1700s... long before many of the founding fathers were born..and the first true semi-automatic rifle (with a 20 round capacity) went into production in 1779 (yes thats 13 years BEFORE the 2nd) .. so to say they could never have imagined is just plain silly

of course I would be remiss not to point out that none of this has anything to do with the thread topic

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones