• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are these GP6P or Android 12 behaviors?

Papamalo

Android Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2011
Oakland
1: Drop down notification menu:
One of things I liked about my older android models was that when notifications came in, and I pulled down on the desktop drop-down menu, I could click on any one of the notifications and it would go to that app, messages, email, website, etc, and also clear it from the drop down menu.
Now when I click on these notifications it merely clears them from the drop-down menu, but it doesn't take me to the app or website that the notification is alerting me to.

2: Maps:
Apparently my google assistant is using a different version or different path to maps, than my google maps app. Example: When I go directly to the maps app, I can enter text, or use voice typing in the search bar for things like, "Pizza near me", and it will default to my current location, and show me several options.

But when I "Hey google, show me pizza near me" it always defaults my location to my house, (Where I am understandably signed in on google), and the map looks like it is in night mode.
Are these two different maps? Older versions of android google assistant "Hey google" I've used would always default to my current location using GPS, and the map never appeared in night mode.

3: I mentioned this before, but I still haven't found a way to connect my "Hey google" command, with my chosen clock and alarm app, "Alarm Clock Extreme". When I say "Hey google! set a timer for 5 minutes" it always defaults to the android 12 stock app. I considered disabling it, but think it might mess up other apps or the phone in general.

These are all luxury problems I know, but the details....... Lol.

Thanks!
PM

One of things I liked about my older android models was that when notifications came in, and I pulled down on the desktop drop-down menu, I could click on any one of the notifications and it would go to that app, messages, email, website, etc, and also clear it from the drop down menu.
Now when I click on these notifications it merely clears them from the drop-down menu, but it doesn't take me to the app or website that the notification is alerting me to.
With my Galaxy s21 (Android 12) clicking on most notifications takes me to the app - where it doesn't I generally assume it's a problem with the app (I do have one app where it often fails to do this). My wife's Pixel 5 (also Android 12) would be a better test for your phone, but all I can say there is that on the occasions I've gone into her notifications I've not registered any unusual behaviour, i.e. I'm fairly sure that notifications I've clicked on have taken me to the relevant app.

I can't help with the rest because they concern Assistant, which I do not use (or any other digital assistant system).

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

2: Maps:
Apparently my google assistant is using a different version or different path to maps, than my google maps app. Example: When I go directly to the maps app, I can enter text, or use voice typing in the search bar for things like, "Pizza near me", and it will default to my current location, and show me several options.

But when I "Hey google, show me pizza near me" it always defaults my location to my house, (Where I am understandably signed in on google), and the map looks like it is in night mode.
Are these two different maps? Older versions of android google assistant "Hey google" I've used would always default to my current location using GPS, and the map never appeared in night mode.

3: I mentioned this before, but I still haven't found a way to connect my "Hey google" command, with my chosen clock and alarm app, "Alarm Clock Extreme". When I say "Hey google! set a timer for 5 minutes" it always defaults to the android 12 stock app. I considered disabling it, but think it might mess up other apps or the phone in general.

These are all luxury problems I know, but the details....... Lol.

Thanks!
PM

1. When I tap on an app's information in the Notification List, the app opens. Is it all your apps or just a few? Maybe it's the settings under Notifications? I have most apps turned on under "Settings", "Notifications" & "App settings".

2. With my maps, the way they display is determined by my phone's theme. When my theme is "Dark", so is the way the map shows. When I turn off "Dark", the map displays normally. As far as getting Google assistant to use your current location instead of your home, you might try saying, "Hey Google show me pizza near my current location". Also check if your location is turned on.

3. Can't help with this. I could get my phone to use a different app until the most recent update. Now, even if I disable the default app, Google overrides the disable and still uses the default app.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones