• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are we losing Android?

Hype, there is control and specific models distributed to each carrier. That's part of what keeps things somewhat competitive. I'm sure there's politics involved, someone supporting their favorite crooked politician. So the regulations in place by and for the carriers is part of what keeps things somewhat interesting. It's branding and marketing. Android isn't going anywhere.

Oh indeed, Android is definitely not going anywhere. I believe it has reached a point of market saturation that only leaves maybe a 1% chance of disaster. Personally, the more that I think about the Oracle vs. Google case, I think that one may do the most damage.

However, LaTuFu's post rings the most true. I can go buy whatever PC I want and uninstall any of the software that the OEM throws on it. Why shouldn't I be able to do this with Android? Android is just like a desktop system in the fact that applications can be installed and uninstalled so why shouldn't we have a choice?

It's a shame that I have to wait for the next Google developer phone just to get an unmolested Android experience the way I believe Google wanted it, at least their interpretation of it. I'm all for open source, but shouldn't someone actually be saying something about this? I hate to be the party pooper since this sort of does put a bit of a crimp in our OS, but does anyone think Google should have maybe laid just a bit more ground rules?

A final question to anyone interested in answering...as we know that we can root, but the average consumer doesn't know how to do this. Does the inability to remove certain programs, anti-rooting efforts, or market restrictions violate the open source licensing?

Upvote 0
This isn't completely true. The retail stores are required by the Corp to maintain a certain pricing structure. Secondly, the retail stores cannot legitimately buy and sell anything they want from whomever. The one I worked at was required by AT&T to buy from them. If you're referring to a ANR I am correct. If a ANR store was buying and selling unbranded phones I am shocked that they haven't been busted and had their line pulled yet. I worked in IT and in Inventory for an ANR. :)

Im not sure what you mean by ANR. I've worked for 3 different Authorized Retailers (2 Tmobile/Verizon, 1 ATT). It is true that corp maintains a certain pricing structure on the phone plans, and the phone itself. But no where in the contract between corp and store does it state that we had to sell ONLY carrier branded phones. That would be the case if you went to a Corporate Direct Dealer, they can only offer Carrier branded phones. Authorized dealers are able to offer you carrier branded phones, over seas phone, cash rebate if you do not chose a phone, and all of this at a much better price. This has been going on for a long long time now and the Corp knows how these authorized retailers operate, because every now and then we get drop by visits from Tmobile personnels to see how the store is doing and they sure as hell see all the overseas we have to offer. But as long as Corp is making money, they can care less which phones we're selling cus in reality its the phone/data plans that are making them money and not so much the phones themselves. These authorized dealers offer the same quality service at a much better bargain. So it wouldnt hurt to shop around a little.

Upvote 0
While I agree that we can't expect Google to solve all of these problems, there are a few things that they could do. For example, they could compartmentalise the OS more, so that an OS update (Gingerbread etc) is separate to a skin update (HTC Sense etc).

In other words, the ability to update the OS without having to worry about the skin being upgraded at the same time.

I heard a rumour that they are in fact working on this & I really hope that they do it.

As for the rest, I suspect that google would not be able to do anything until the time comes for them to renew their contract with the carrier. The first time around, the carrier held all the bargaining chips, so I imagine that google had to make some concessions they didn't want to make. Things could go differently the next time.

Realistically though, the government really needs to step in & do something, the problem is that most of them are a bunch of old farts who don't understand technology (same goes for most of the other people in positions of power).

I can't wait for the people who are in their 20s & 30s now to start getting positions of power, the people who grew up with this stuff. Then we might see some real changes for technology. Problem is that it's a 20 year wait :(

Upvote 0
On low end Android phones, you are seeing raw Android, or raw Android that has been themed, meaning decorated with new color sets and icon designs, but still very much raw Android. The list includes the Huawei Ideos aka T-Mobile Comet, the LG Optimus One (the Optimus S especially is unthemed), and the Samsung Intercept.

There is also some new higher end Ideos coming out, and they basically seem to be using raw or themed Android.

The Ideos is of particular interest because Google has particular design input on this one. This phone is probably closest to their vision of a low end Android for the masses. Note the design similarity to another Google inspired phone, the HTC Magic. The Ideos for one, has an annoying attribute inherited from the Nexus One that also indicates its Google roots---the Return button is on the left.

Ironically, we are seeing raw Android more in tablets than in smartphones.

I like to increase the number of true Google experience phones in the market, but one reason why handset makers and carriers push Android so hard, its because they can customize and differentiate their offerings from each other, and then let Capitalism takes its course. Ironically, if Google didn't permit Android to be modified this way, it won't be the success it is today.

The ability for Android to openly evolve is the reason why it will prevail over tightly closed and controlled systems

Upvote 0
Don;t you also pay for this by not getting much subsidation for your phone? In the US we like to complain, but not when we get a $600 handest every year for $100-$200...

No this is not really the case as the tariff is reduced without a handset, plus we have a more reasonable pay as you go system which usually facilitates unlimited data per month etc. So that an unsubsidised handset plus a handset free carrier contract equates to less than a package... Consequently I have been with orange as a carrier who have provided me discounts on my contract through loyalty... I pay $50 a month inclusive of a free phone - Samsung Galaxy S

Upvote 0
On this Earth, there are two places in this world that we can call mobile paradises. One is Hong Kong. The other is Singapore. They share a number of attributes:

1.) By legislation, every phone you purchase either from the carrier or from a dealer is unlocked. There is no freaking lock on any phone, not even your iPhone or Blackberry.

2.) All carriesr must use the same GSM and UMTS global standard. For 3G, that is Band 1 2100.

Moving one phone from one carrier to another is as simple as changing SIMs and the APN station name assigned.

In the Netherlands this is the same for phones sold with a plan. For prepaid feature phones the phone can be locked. Why? 'Cause a carrier will sell a feature phone at a lower subsidized price.

But for the rest, it's always change SIM and APN and you're good to go.

While I agree that we can't expect Google to solve all of these problems, there are a few things that they could do. For example, they could compartmentalise the OS more, so that an OS update (Gingerbread etc) is separate to a skin update (HTC Sense etc).

HTC Sense is NOT just a skin. I can't stress this often enough. It's a whole experience built deeply into the system. Before 2.1, HTC Sense was only way to have multitouch. It was also easiest way to connect to your system as a disk. It lets you beautifully link your facebook contacts throughout the system.

And lots of more stuff I can't think of right now. It's not just a place on top skin.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones