• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Assistance reviving a bricked LG Optimus V

This is my first post on AndroidForums, so please be gentle! ;-) This post will be relatively long, just trying to be as thorough in information sharing as I can.

I am not a "technology idiot" by any stretch of the imagination, but it's been years since I've been actively working with any Unix-based OS other than Android, and with Android much more as an end-user than anything else.

I purchased an LG Optimus V not long after they were introduced. The device was never used for mobile phone service as I already had a phone and was replacing a Palm Zire as Palm OS was reaching its end of life. It came with Froyo on it and after I had it for about a year I rooted the device. I also had USB debugging set to on.

It has since been replaced and had been being used as an MP3 player (but it was handy to be able to take a quick peek at e-mail, etc.) and hummed along for several years doing that. Then one day, when I went to turn it on, it would not boot up. When the device is off and plugged in to the charger, the battery charging state (battery with flashing bars showing how charged until at 100%, then they stay solid) behaves as it always has. When I try to boot up, I get the silver LG icon splash screen followed by the "big" Virgin Mobile splash screen with music, followed by the black screen with the small Virgin Mobile icon in the center and there it sits. It will stay on this screen until the battery runs out or you pop it out.

Since then I have tried getting into recovery using the hold HOME plus Volume Down plus Power Button technique and I can get in to the stock recovery. I have tried wiping the cache partition (which shows it worked) and a wipe data/factory reset (which claims it worked) but when I try to reboot I get precisely the same behavior as described in the last paragraph.

So, I thought I might try loading a custom ROM via the stock recovery, but any attempt to do that fails saying that there is no such file or directory but also adds that signature verification failed and installation is aborted.

I gather I need to load a custom recovery first, but have no idea how to do that with the phone in its current state. I can still bring up the stock recovery mode, though. In an effort to do this I downloaded and installed Android Studio on my PC. I am able to establish contact with the device using adb but cannot get su to work once connected. I tried using adb to sideload both SuperSU and the Xionia recovery, but no dice. I even tried using the stock recovery to reflash the stock ROM, but that comes back with a signature verification error.

I even thought I'd give fastboot a try and couldn't get that to get me any further, either.

The phone still behaves as I described at the beginning and I can still bring up the stock recovery. I feel like I'm either very close to being able to resurrect this device from the dead or at a complete dead end, I'm just not quite sure which.

This is really a "can I do this" sort of project rather than driven by any real need. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to proceed, or knows that proceeding is actually not possible, I'd appreciate the input.

Brian

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones