• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Assisted GPS?

Shocker_33

Jul 13, 2011
Hi,

I've upgraded my phone from the S3 to a newer Samsung phone.

I now have an S3 not doing anything, and so i wan't to use it purely as a SatNav.

I don't have a sim card in it - so no network data but i can connect it to WiFi every couple of days - therefore whilst in the car, it doesn't have access to any data.

I have Sygic on the phone as my SatNav app because i need access to offline maps and navigation. I installed the app when i was using the phone as my everyday phone and found it really useful.

So i don't have an issue with offline maps or navigation because it's all downloaded on to the phone already.

My issue is that the phone struggles to find a GPS lock. I believe that without assisted GPS, the phone can take up to 30-40 minutes to find a lock - this is obviously not sufficient.

I believe the phone downloads assisted GPS data when connected to the internet, which enables the phone to find a GPS lock within a couple of minutes.

What i would like to know, is there a way i can download the assisted GPS data for my country and keep offline forever? Even if it means, having to update it every week or so.

If not, what can i do to allow me to use the phone for SatNav applications for up to 3-4 days at a time? Sometimes, i go camping where i'm away from the internet for a long weekend.

I believe there are a few apps on the market that forces the phone to keep polling the SatNav satellites, and therefore keep a GPS lock. This isn't suitable really because it will drain the battery down quite a lot. Also, if my phone was to run out of battery and turn off, would it lose track of GPS? Meaning that i would be in the same situation where it the GPS would take 30-40 minutes to lock in?

Thanks for any help.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones