• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Astro File Manager

I searched and searched the forums, even the web, and can't quite find the answer I am looking for.

I have started using Astro File Manager - I am an organizational freak and I love it.

...am I right in thinking that I can't tell something I am downloading what directory to go to? Or is it just certain apps?

For example, I use Mabilo for wallpapers and ringtones and noticed that I would have to move each additional file I download to the renamed (by me) folder and delete the folder that Mabilo created.

...am I missing something or is this just a little quirk that I need to get over?

AC,

Android doesn't force applications to put things into folders on the SD card in any sort of structured way, and - from the looks of things - there doesn't seem to be much of an informal convention that app developers use, either.

I guess that means you just have to deal with Willy Nilly - that is, learn where your apps want to drop files. (Or as you put it, "get over it")

eu1

Upvote 0
I was having some MAJOR hang-ups and problems with my phone after downloading Astro so I took it off to try and remedy the situation.

Now I can't set the ringtones that I had assigned to certain people even if I go to the app that I downloaded the songs from and assign them there. I can set it, but in the contact list it shows as unknown song and when that person calls it is just a ring sound, and not any of the preset tones, either.

I am assuming that this is due to my having to rearrange/organize everything in Astro and moving the original downloaded tones because I downloaded a song today and it assigns and rings just fine.

:mad:

Upvote 0
I was having some MAJOR hang-ups and problems with my phone after downloading Astro so I took it off to try and remedy the situation.

Now I can't set the ringtones that I had assigned to certain people even if I go to the app that I downloaded the songs from and assign them there. I can set it, but in the contact list it shows as unknown song and when that person calls it is just a ring sound, and not any of the preset tones, either.

I am assuming that this is due to my having to rearrange/organize everything in Astro and moving the original downloaded tones because I downloaded a song today and it assigns and rings just fine.

:mad:

I think you should assume that everything that happened did so because you decided to re-arrange where files were located after you had already assigned them as ringtones. Astro just did what you told it to do. You didn't "have to" do anything.

I'm not trying to be harsh - I'm just pointing out that the phone "knew" where all your ringtones were until you started moving them around.

I suppose it might be possible that the phone "remembers" the name of the ringtone, even though it can no longer find the file in the original location... It has to do this anyway for ringtones on the SD card: for instance if you get an incoming call while you have the SD card mounted from your PC, you will get a default ring tone since the SD card is (temporarily) unavailable to the phone.

So (speculating here) if you try to use a ringtone file of the same name as the original file, but in a different location on the SD card, the old "label" in the Contacts database interferes with your ability to use the file (because it has the same name, but is in a location different from the original).

If that is correct, it could be worked around in two different ways:

1) Move the (ringtone) file to the original folder location, -or-
2) Rename the (ringtone) to a slightly different name, and then add it as a ringtone to a contact.

There might also be a way to start over by clearing the data/cache area associated with the "People" or "Contacts Storage" app - but this is a little dangerous if you have Phone-only contacts, rather than only Gmail (web synchronized) contacts.

good luck!

eu1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones