• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

At&t Kit-Kat Update...

Talking about GPS issues!!!!!! I live in Miami and last weekend Myself and the little man took a trip to Daytone for the Supercross Event and GPS literally every 5mins went out. I must restarted the phone 12 times thinking that would fix the issue and to no avail. Is this software or handset related? At&t has sure been slacking!!

Upvote 0
I haven't gotten it and I'm in no particular hurry either. I read nothing but problems in this update. As for the GPS problem, I haven't noticed anything on mine. I do have the WiFi issue that a lot of people have reported but that isn't a huge issue (yet). As stated previously, I'd rather AT&T be sure this update is right than to get it and have more problems than I started with.

Upvote 0
Talking about GPS issues!!!!!! I live in Miami and last weekend Myself and the little man took a trip to Daytone for the Supercross Event and GPS literally every 5mins went out. I must restarted the phone 12 times thinking that would fix the issue and to no avail. Is this software or handset related? At&t has sure been slacking!!

The easiest way to really show impact is:

• Navigate via google and then make/take a phone call. The GPS will drop within seconds.
  • Have someone send you 1-2 text messages while you're navigating, it will drop you.
  • Some will say simply plug your phone in to charge while navigating. I suppose that works, but I always plug mine in to charge when in the car and I tend to do so before I roll out.
  • Lastly, use navigation while crossing to/from and area of LTE/4G coverage. For me typically as I roll east or west out of my city I will lose LTE coverage. Bam! GPS will drop.

I found the last one is the biggest PIA as I travel to new cities often and have no idea when I change towers/coverage areas and in the midst of navigating it will drop on me. I most recently was in Hawaii on the island of Kauai and it dropped nearly every 2 minutes, I'd restart the GPS, bam it would drop again. There it wasn't even changing back and forth as I didn't have much if any LTE coverage it was all 4G. I can only assume it was due to the mountains and elevation changes I was seeing that caused towers to jump and the GPS to drop.

Upvote 0
The easiest way to really show impact is:

• Navigate via google and then make/take a phone call. The GPS will drop within seconds.
  • Have someone send you 1-2 text messages while you're navigating, it will drop you.
  • Some will say simply plug your phone in to charge while navigating. I suppose that works, but I always plug mine in to charge when in the car and I tend to do so before I roll out.
  • Lastly, use navigation while crossing to/from and area of LTE/4G coverage. For me typically as I roll east or west out of my city I will lose LTE coverage. Bam! GPS will drop.
I found the last one is the biggest PIA as I travel to new cities often and have no idea when I change towers/coverage areas and in the midst of navigating it will drop on me. I most recently was in Hawaii on the island of Kauai and it dropped nearly every 2 minutes, I'd restart the GPS, bam it would drop again. There it wasn't even changing back and forth as I didn't have much if any LTE coverage it was all 4G. I can only assume it was due to the mountains and elevation changes I was seeing that caused towers to jump and the GPS to drop.

Ah ok. That's a pretty specific set of conditions, one I'm sure I wouldn't have run into. Sometimes I wonder if anyone tests these things before release. The WiFi issue just seems so glaring.The only good thing is it seems to have no issue at all with my home WiFi, just everywhere else. Well despite all of this, these are all issues which are correctable with software updates. Just sign me "Still Lovin my Note 3" :D

Upvote 0
yeah.. GPS issues...

last weekend traveling north to Rhode Island...
me on my ATT note3
sis on her old Sprint HTC LTE

I kept losing my GPS lock.. sometimes it would come back fast.. sometimes just plain gone. I get a text or call and it was down.

sis was always locked.. but she had slow data.
maps loading slow.. but it worked fine.

Upvote 0
I have received the latest update (4.3) from AT&T and I can safely say it has NOT fixed the GPS issue, at least on my handset. I contacted Samsung followed all of their instructions through tech support (including successfully replicating the problem while in safe mode), Samsung told me I have no further options and the only thing I can do is send the phone back to them for repair under warranty. I'm not exactly sure what they are going to do but if this is a software issue there is nothing that they can do that could not be done OTA.

I have realized since posting that even though the update was only 2 weeks ago, its still not kitkat.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones