• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T Nexus 6 (Will it have carrier bloat?)

Given how long it may be before many of us have an actual unit in our hands it would be nice if by then the fine folks over at XDA have crafted a program or ROM that provides for the ability to turn off even the download. I'm still shooting for either a Play Store or Moto Store purchase but for those buying from a carrier that would be helpful.

Upvote 0
Actually it'll be fast & easy to remove, since overall as compared to years past there's a smaller number of bloatware apps to get rid of.

If that's the price I have to pay to get this outstanding new iPhone killer...OOPS SORRY :D

Ahem, let me try that again:

If that's the price I have to pay to get this gorgeous new Nexus by next week, then bring it on...ha...ha...ha!

Upvote 0
I have updated information from my call to AT&T Tech Support Android Division minutes ago.

Important Note:
I did not get this information from the "Call Center" but the Actual Android Tech Support Dept within AT&T Mobility Engineering Area.

This is the answer to how, when and who will push out Android OS Updates, bug patches, and increasingly critical "Google Play Services Udate" software modules to AT&T Nexus 6 models.

Bottom line: All updates will be routed from Google through AT&T for evaluation and approval, and then to the Customer.

Just like the past and present practice, there's neither a timeline, or assurance, as to what or when customers will receive any or all updates.

My opinion?
If your interested in the pure Google experience that occurs via having your Nexus device running the latest OS updates, bug fixes, et.al. from Google, buy your Nexus directly from Google via the Google Play Store.

Last year I bought my Nexus 5 and several more for family members directly from Google Play. A total of six in all... it's been the most fun, fast, trouble free group of phones we've enjoyed ever.

Good Luck with your decisions and future Androids :)

Upvote 0
My only concern at this point is update frequency. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

I have been on AT&T for years, I am also on the Motorola Feedback network and have been soak testing updates since I got my Atrix 4G. I have never felt that the updates were slow, in fact since getting my Moto X 1st gen I have gotten updates (updates not the soak test leading to the update) faster than nexus devices in a lot of cases. I do not fear that AT&T will in anyway effect the update process for this phone. Motorola sends out the OTA's when they are ready to go out.

Upvote 0
I have updated information from my call to AT&T Tech Support Android Division minutes ago.

Important Note:
I did not get this information from the "Call Center" but the Actual Android Tech Support Dept within AT&T Mobility Engineering Area.

This is the answer to how, when and who will push out Android OS Updates, bug patches, and increasingly critical "Google Play Services Udate" software modules to AT&T Nexus 6 models.

Bottom line: All updates will be routed from Google through AT&T for evaluation and approval, and then to the Customer.

Just like the past and present practice, there's neither a timeline, or assurance, as to what or when customers will receive any or all updates.

My opinion?
If your interested in the pure Google experience that occurs via having your Nexus device running the latest OS updates, bug fixes, et.al. from Google, buy your Nexus directly from Google via the Google Play Store.

Last year I bought my Nexus 5 and several more for family members directly from Google Play. A total of six in all... it's been the most fun, fast, trouble free group of phones we've enjoyed ever.

Thats very strange, as thats not how things work for the even the carrier sold nexus 5's. :thinking: I know ATT doesn't directly sell it, but that would be a major change from how things have gone in the past.

We know carriers have a role/voice in the update for radio improvements, but I doubt they actually are pushing the "go" button to allow the update.

We will have to wait and see, but I'd be very disappointed if thats the case :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Important Note:

My opinion?

Interesting info, thank you. While I won't be going with AT&T myself (and for different reasons) once I unlock the bootloader and root (which I always do prior to loading a SIM and activating) I don't know that this would affect/bother me much as I'd just be pulling down a copy to apply just like I do today (no OTA's). Since those are almost always available within single digit days of release date I'd still be having what I have today. It is disappointing, though, that AT&T is choosing to veer rather broadly away from what most Nexus users are accustomed to.

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
I just stopped by my local at&t store to take another look at the Note 4, you know, to decide whether I want to keep the N6 or maybe get the Note 4. So while I was there I was talking to one of the employees about the Nexus and he said that the reason all of the AT&T inventory had to be sent back was because the at&t apps would not download like they were supposed to when you activate the phone on the network. That's the software bug, not the black screen excuse. It sounds very plausible to me since none of the pre-ordered phones have the black screen problem and as far as I know none of the pre-orders have had the at&t bloatware downloaded when they were activated on the at&t network. Mine certainly didn't.

Very interesting!!!

As for the Note 4 vs. Nexus 6 battle, the Samsung clearly has a better display. It's a little brighter, a little more crisp and the whites are much whiter. If it were not for the unbelievable amount of crapware piled onto the Note 4 I would return the N6 and get the Note 4. The screen is that much better.

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0
The last time Samsung had an impressive upgrade was from the S2 to the S3. Since then, it's been the smallest little improvements just so they can have a "better" phone for the following year. I used the hell out of my S3 and it was a great phone, but since owning an N5 and now an N6, I could never go back to Samsung and Touchwiz. So much useless shit. Heart rate monitor? Seriously??? And what's with that physical home button? Are they that hell bent on pissing off Apple, or do they not know how to make pretty capacitive buttons anymore? And talk about bad timing with release of the Note 4. It came with kitkat and lollipop was announced just days later. Sammy should have waited and had 5.0 on this phone out of the box.

Samsung is usually top tier when it comes to specs, I will give them that. Sounds like that's what you want.

You are in your 14 day window. And if you don't mind waiting months for software updates that you can barely even notice because they're buried under Touchwiz, I say go for it.

Upvote 0
My N6 from AT&T has no issues. I was able to pre-empt the bloat download when restoring. I was able to cancel them before they downloaded. Only AT&T thing I see on my phone is the boat up AT&T globe.

Also, for those on AT&T their visual voicemail app is currently non-compatible with the N6 and according to @ATTCares on Twitter, they don't know of a update yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones