• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T Wifi only, no dataplan

I used HTC (unlocked from TMobile) on ATT for about a year in 2010. I don't remember whether it was recognized on the website or not but I wasn't charged for any data plan. For those who claim that it's ATT's right to get you on a data plan when you are using a smart phone: Yes may be they can require that if it's hidden in their Terms and Cond's however they are selling a service, "service", and I should be able to use any device that can use that service. It's a ridiculous statement saying you have to pay extra money (and get extra service) if you are using a smart phone but not for a dumb phone even though you are getting the same service. This doesn't exist anywhere else in world other than US. I am surprised that people are silent for this.

I might soon get another smart phone and will report how it goes. If ATT tries to charge me for data then I would change the carrier even though I have been with them for about 8 years.

Upvote 0
I used HTC (unlocked from TMobile) on ATT for about a year in 2010. I don't remember whether it was recognized on the website or not but I wasn't charged for any data plan. For those who claim that it's ATT's right to get you on a data plan when you are using a smart phone: Yes may be they can require that if it's hidden in their Terms and Cond's however they are selling a service, "service", and I should be able to use any device that can use that service. It's a ridiculous statement saying you have to pay extra money (and get extra service) if you are using a smart phone but not for a dumb phone even though you are getting the same service. This doesn't exist anywhere else in world other than US. I am surprised that people are silent for this.

I might soon get another smart phone and will report how it goes. If ATT tries to charge me for data then I would change the carrier even though I have been with them for about 8 years.

Ive recently learned from experience that as long as att doesnt have the imei of your device, they cant really "track" your phone other than if you have it on one of their plans.

I thought for years that the imei is auto-detected,but its not. CSR have to manually log it.

I foumd out when I got a replacement streak (not via att) , they knew my servicesbut never knew my current device.

Upvote 0
what about unlocked phones bought from ebay or frys. data supposed to be blocked by att. said one of my 4 lines was wife's mother and did not want accidental dataand is true. data turned off on huawei u81550. bought to go to tmoblile but had to come back due to coverage issues. 7 days left before not returnable

new member thanks in advance

Upvote 0
My husband's phone is an HTC Freestyle that we purchased in person at the AT&T store and added to our plan there as well. He has never had a data plan for it (has the phone for over a year now). Occasionally, he will accidentally access data or go online with it and they will charge him a couple of $ for going online, a pay as you go sort of thing. Otherwise, we are just using and paying for calls and texting. I came here to see if the HTC can be connected to wifi (apparently it lacks the wifi chip). So does this mean that the HTC Freestyle is NOT considered a smartphone even though you can get online with it, or is it an exception to the data plan rule? My daughter's little Pantech she got for Christmas is the same way. What exactly defines a smartphone?

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to Android Forums, Sweetpea2. :)

Generally a smartphone is a device that integrates data-dependent services such as email, internet, news feeds, etc. with traditional telephony through communications services like WiFi and Mobile networks. Many of the lesser "Feature Phones" do approach full smartphone status with perhaps one or two items missing, or perhaps just so low in spec that using the device as a smartphone is impractical. In truth, a smartphone is a smartphone when the carrier says it is.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones