• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Attempting to gain root with htc unlocked bootloader

Before I do, though, there's some things I'm confused about. When I downgraded, I basically reformatted my phone with a fresh operating system, right? Which is why my bootloader is locked again? How does that not unroot the phone? Sorry, again if it's a dumb question. Also, is it okay for me to upgrade the OS back to the normal version, now?

sorry... i hadnt noticed that youd added that last part :eek:

its not a dumb question at all. yoiu are quite correct... when you flash the downgrade RUU,it does in fact unroot the phone. thats why the steps to re-unlock,and then flash superuser,and the s-off patch.

as sdraw said,you definately can and should upgrade back to GB,if you dont want to flash any custom roms. just make sure that you are s-off before running a GB PB31IMG or .exe file :)

Reactions: zamkat
Upvote 0
sorry... i hadnt noticed that youd added that last part :eek:

its not a dumb question at all. yoiu are quite correct... when you flash the downgrade RUU,it does in fact unroot the phone. thats why the steps to re-unlock,and then flash superuser,and the s-off patch.

as sdraw said,you definately can and should upgrade back to GB,if you dont want to flash any custom roms. just make sure that you are s-off before running a GB PB31IMG or .exe file :)

No problem. I'm totally confused now. If I was going to reformat/downgrade all along to get S-off, why did I root first? Did I do all that for nothing? D: I don't understand anything, anymore. -_- Did I do the steps in the wrong order?

Upvote 0
No problem. I'm totally confused now. If I was going to reformat/downgrade all along to get S-off, why did I root first? Did I do all that for nothing? D: I don't understand anything, anymore. -_- Did I do the steps in the wrong order?

nope. you are doing the steps exactly right. :)

you need to downgrade in order to get s-off,because unrevoked's forever exploit does not work with the gingerbread baseband. with an s-on bootloader,you cannot change the baseband to a comptible one. the only option is to trick the phone into downgrading the entire system to one that does contain acompatible baseband(froyo)

the s-on hboot will not allow older versions of firmware to be installed,hence the need to trick it. mtd0 is basically the part of the phone that contains the firmware version number. we are changing mtd0(aka the misc image) to one that contains a lower version number than the one we want to downgrade to,so when we run the downgrade ruu,the phone checks it,and thinks that is actually upgrading.

all that comes down to the reason you had to root first: you need at least temporary root in order to cahnge the misc image. the second post contains an exploit called zergrush that you could have used to get temp root to change the misc image without running unrevoked,or using htcdev.

using unrevoked or htcdev does give you the added benefit of being able to run titamium backup to backup your app data,and to make a nandroid backup of gingerbread. with zergrush you wouldnt have had either of those luxuries.

does that help clear it up for you? :)

Upvote 0
nope. you are doing the steps exactly right. :)

you need to downgrade in order to get s-off,because unrevoked's forever exploit does not work with the gingerbread baseband. with an s-on bootloader,you cannot change the baseband to a comptible one. the only option is to trick the phone into downgrading the entire system to one that does contain acompatible baseband(froyo)

the s-on hboot will not allow older versions of firmware to be installed,hence the need to trick it. mtd0 is basically the part of the phone that contains the firmware version number. we are changing mtd0(aka the misc image) to one that contains a lower version number than the one we want to downgrade to,so when we run the downgrade ruu,the phone checks it,and thinks that is actually upgrading.

all that comes down to the reason you had to root first: you need at least temporary root in order to cahnge the misc image. the second post contains an exploit called zergrush that you could have used to get temp root to change the misc image without running unrevoked,or using htcdev.

using unrevoked or htcdev does give you the added benefit of being able to run titamium backup to backup your app data,and to make a nandroid backup of gingerbread. with zergrush you wouldnt have had either of those luxuries.

does that help clear it up for you? :)

Um...a little bit...I think. I had to root, so I could downgrade, so I could turn s-off; is that what you mean? But, I do want to flash custom roms; I thought that was why I was downgrading, so I could turn s-off...Which undid my root, so now I have to root again, after upgrading again? But before I root again, I have to turn s-off...? Right...? Do you mean I can never have 2.3.4 and have s-off and be rooted?

Upvote 0
Um...a little bit...I think. I had to root, so I could downgrade, so I could turn s-off; is that what you mean?
yes! that is exactly correct.

But, I do want to flash custom roms; I thought that was why I was downgrading, so I could turn s-off...Which undid my root, so now I have to root again, after upgrading again?
well,sorta...
you donwgraded,so you have to root to turn s-off. after turning s-off,you actually could just go ahead and start flashing roms,no real need to upgrade if you dont want to. you can easily flash a custom GB rom in recovery to get back to gingerbread.

however... :eek:

downgrading to froyo so you could turn s-off also downgraded all your firmware. your radio and some other little bits are now all the older froyo version. they work,you can use your phone as is if you wish. if you get good signal,good battery,and are happy overall you can certainly stay on froyo firmware.

i ionly recomended to run the GB pb31img or .exe so it would upgrade all your firmware back up to GB,under the assumption that your phone will work a lil bit better with the newer GB firmware.

one thing to keep in mind: once you are s-off,you can do whatever you want. s will stay off. s-off=permanent root,in a way,as once you are s-off you will never have to deal with unrevoked or htcdev again. after you upgrade to GB by running a pb31img or .exe file,all youll need to do is:
1)install recovery
2)flash superuser in recovery

easiest way to install the new recovery is as a PB31IMG. now that you are s-off,your phone will not do any of the checks that it was doing before(with htcdec unlocked s on) that made it a PITA.

But before I root again, I have to turn s-off...? Right...? Do you mean I can never have 2.3.4 and have s-off and be rooted?
no,you have to root,to turn s-off,by doing one or the other these instructions:

1)run unrevoked 3.22(normally you would use 3.32,but it didnt work for the other user that had htcdev unlock) hopefully it will install a recovery,and turn s-off. if you get a recvoery,but are still s on,then try flashing the "forever" patch in recovery.

2)assuming your hboot did not downgrade to .92,you can:
-reunlock using your original unlock token
-fastboot flash your recovery like you did above
-flash the superuser root files in recovery
-flash the "forever" patch in recovery(turns s-off)

(but remember you said youd try option 2 first,in the name of science ;))

you can certainly have s -off,root,and gingerbread at the same time. you just cannot get s-off on gingerbread.

ok,im ready for the next batch of questions :D

Upvote 0
I'm confused... Why are you running the htcdv ruu? Don't you still have the locked 1.02 hboot?

Do not upgrade back to gb while you're s on. You'll have to start completely over from square one :eek:

:p No, no, I haven't done anything yet, but you said...I had to unlock again using my unlock token, with the htc unlocker...I thought... I don't remember all of the instructions, and I didn't save my unlock token, so I was going to follow the htcdev instructions to unlock again, and the instructions say (Charlton Heston Ten Commandments voice) "BEFORE beginning the Unlock Bootloader process your product requires that you update the ROM to the version listed in the table below first, then download the RUU next to it to enable the unlocking capability."

Upvote 0
Ooooooh gotcha. Are you sure your original token isn't still in the folder that you used to unlock? It would not have gone anywhere unless you purposefully deleted it.

If you need to get a new unlock token,skip the part that tells you to run the ruu ;)

Er...I don't know that there was ever a folder... I have the "unlock bootloader key file", but, I don't think it's going to do me much good, since it's a .bin file. The token I used to get the .bin file was an output I got by doing a bunch of stuff in the command prompt. I just copied and pasted it into the website token box input thingy. So, I don't have the actual token, but I don't know if it would even work, since it says you have to upgrade first...

Upvote 0
Zamkat, The .bin file is your unlock token. If I may ask why did you go thru HTCDev? I've only used that with the Rezound.

I don't even remember, I was going through forums looking for tutorials on how to unlock an htc incredible, and someone said they did that to do something else, and I don't know...I just saw somewhere that you needed to do that, so I followed suit, a bit prematurely, obviously... It sounded legitimate the way he explained it, so I really thought that was what I was supposed to do. Also, I don't think I have any programs that open a .bin file....except VLC. >.>

Upvote 0
the "unlock_code.bin" file is your unlock token,as BC said. you dont open it,you put it into the folder that contains fastboot and adb. when you first unlocked,i believe you called this folder "android"(this is the folder i was refering to earlier-the unlock_code.bin is prolly still in it). for most of what weve done after the unlock,you have used "mini-adb_inc"

so heres a more detailed set of instructions for you:

take your "unlock_code.bin" file and put it into your "mini-adb_inc" folder.

-make sure usb debugging is enabled.

-open a cmd window

-plug in phone

-change to mini-adb_inc directory:
cd c:\mini-adb_inc

-make sure youre connected:
adb devices

-if you get your serial number back,then boot to fastboot:
adb reboot bootloader

*enter the unlock command:
fastboot flash unlocktoken unlock_code.bin

this should change your phone screen,select "yes,unlock" with vol rocker and power button. this will casue your phone to reboot.

after your phone reboots from the unlock,then use the "fastboot flash" command to install your recovery like you did on the first page.

after you install recovery,you can reboot and move the superuser 3.07,and unrevoked "forever" s-off files to your sd card.

boot to recovery-wipe cache and dalvik cache. flash superuser first,then flash forever s-off second.

reboot the phone.

go to hboot or fastboot and check to see if your s-off. if youre not,try flashing the s-off file once more before deciding it didnt work.

does that clear it up some? :)

Upvote 0
the "unlock_code.bin" file is your unlock token,as BC said. you dont open it,you put it into the folder that contains fastboot and adb. when you first unlocked,i believe you called this folder "android"(this is the folder i was refering to earlier-the unlock_code.bin is prolly still in it). for most of what weve done after the unlock,you have used "mini-adb_inc"

so heres a more detailed set of instructions for you:

take your "unlock_code.bin" file and put it into your "mini-adb_inc" folder.

-make sure usb debugging is enabled.

-open a cmd window

-plug in phone

-change to mini-adb_inc directory:
cd c:\mini-adb_inc

-make sure youre connected:
adb devices

-if you get your serial number back,then boot to fastboot:
adb reboot bootloader

*enter the unlock command:
fastboot flash unlocktoken unlock_code.bin

this should change your phone screen,select "yes,unlock" with vol rocker and power button. this will casue your phone to reboot.

after your phone reboots from the unlock,then use the "fastboot flash" command to install your recovery like you did on the first page.

after you install recovery,you can reboot and move the superuser 3.07,and unrevoked "forever" s-off files to your sd card.

boot to recovery-wipe cache and dalvik cache. flash superuser first,then flash forever s-off second.

reboot the phone.

go to hboot or fastboot and check to see if your s-off. if youre not,try flashing the s-off file once more before deciding it didnt work.

does that clear it up some? :)

Yes. Everything is done except for flashing s-off. I didn't have it on the sd card yet, but Superuser is still on there, and since I was in CWM, I went ahead and wiped the caches, and flashed that, and rebooted, so I can put s-off on there. Do I need to wipe the caches again before flashing unrevoked forever, or does it matter?

Upvote 0
Yes. Everything is done except for flashing s-off. I didn't have it on the sd card yet, but Superuser is still on there, and since I was in CWM, I went ahead and wiped the caches, and flashed that, and rebooted, so I can put s-off on there. Do I need to wipe the caches again before flashing unrevoked forever, or does it matter?
No need to wipe anything, can just flash it.

Reactions: zamkat and scotty85
Upvote 0
Security is officially off. Well done, team. :D

So, ya. I'ma upgrade back to GB, and see if I can finally convince my Dad to activate this phone for me, lol.

awsome! great info,thank you kind sir. a new writeup/guide may be in order :)

go ahead and upgrade to gingerbread,but you may want to wait to install your recovery and root until after youve got the phone activated. i have dialed *228 and activated rooted phones before,usually there is no prollem. sometimes you may have issues that a rep will need to assist you with,in wich case its a lil easier to be 100% stock.

glad you finally got it :cool:

edit: all you did was flash the forever s-off file,correct?

any details or info you can share? did it work the first time? did your hboot change back to locked,or did it stay unlocked and just changed to s-off after running the forever file?

thanks again for the info and for stayin with me in the name of science :D

Upvote 0
awsome! great info,thank you kind sir. a new writeup/guide may be in order :)

go ahead and upgrade to gingerbread,but you may want to wait to install your recovery and root until after youve got the phone activated. i have dialed *228 and activated rooted phones before,usually there is no prollem. sometimes you may have issues that a rep will need to assist you with,in wich case its a lil easier to be 100% stock.

glad you finally got it :cool:

edit: all you did was flash the forever s-off file,correct?

any details or info you can share? did it work the first time? did your hboot change back to locked,or did it stay unlocked and just changed to s-off after running the forever file?

thanks again for the info and for stayin with me in the name of science :D

I thought I already was rooted...So, should I unroot before activating? I'm confused, again. Or are you saying upgrading to GB will undo my root and s-off? Yes, all I did was boot into CWM and flashed forever from the sd card. It worked the first time. :) Uh, I'm not sure about colors, but I'm pretty sure it said Unlocked, and then I flashed the s-off, and powered off, hboot again, and it said s-off. And also, I'm a girl. :p

Upvote 0
you are rooted... so depending on how you update to gingerbread will determine if you become unrooted.

if you run an RUU,then it will take away your superuser app and clockwork recovery. this is not a big deal. youll just re-install them afterward.

your s-off will not disapear. you will be s off from now on,unless you purposefully remove it.

if you want to run the RUU to update to gingerbread,you can find it here:
Stock Images | PvilleComp's

doing so will also update your radios and such to the newer GB ones. this is personally what i would do,but the choice is yours,you dont have to.

the other option is to simply install a gingerbread rom in recovery. look thru the rom section and find some you want to try out. any rom you flash in recovery will allready have root access built in

sorry for the name confusion,thanks for the info kind madam :D

Upvote 0
you are rooted... so depending on how you update to gingerbread will determine if you become unrooted.

if you run an RUU,then it will take away your superuser app and clockwork recovery. this is not a big deal. youll just re-install them afterward.

your s-off will not disapear. you will be s off from now on,unless you purposefully remove it.

if you want to run the RUU to update to gingerbread,you can find it here:
Stock Images | PvilleComp's

doing so will also update your radios and such to the newer GB ones. this is personally what i would do,but the choice is yours,you dont have to.

the other option is to simply install a gingerbread rom in recovery. look thru the rom section and find some you want to try out. any rom you flash in recovery will allready have root access built in

sorry for the name confusion,thanks for the info kind madam :D

Okay, I'll probably run an RUU so I don't have to worry about activation issues, and then I can just flash CWM and Superuser again in the cmd with the miniadb thing, like before? Also, I can take the unrevoked forever zip off my sd card, now, right?

Upvote 0
sorry for the delayed response,had to close last night,then open this morning(yuck :mad:)

anyway,yes,remove the forever s-off file now,its no longer needed.

when you update by running the RUU,you will find that since your s-off,the 1.02 will be overwritten by the .92 hboot contained in the RUU.

with the .92 hboot,you will no longer have the option to use the fastboot flash command :(

however,its still easy to install recoveries,radios,etc.

option 1)you can install them as PB31IMG files on your sd card:
-place PB31IMG on your sd card
-boot to hboot(power on/vol down)
-phone will ask to update
*after it boots,remember to remove PB31IMG

option 2)you can install them as RUUs
-place the PB31IMG-for-whatever-recovery/radio/etc into mini-adb_inc folder
-open cmd window
-enable usb debugging,plug in phone
-adb devices
-adb reboot bootloader
-fastboot erase cache
-fastboot oem rebootRUU (will put your phone in RUU mode)
-fastboot flash zip zipname.zip example: fastboot flash zip PB31IMG-clockwork-5.0.2.0.zip
-youll see green status bar on phone,and stuff happening on screen. when its done:
-fastboot reboot-bootloader
-fastboot reboot
some more directions to flash PB31IMG as RUUs are here: http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/487280-easier-way-flash-pb31img-files.html

option 3) if you are comfortable installing things with fastboot flash uyou can simply install the htcdev unlock and unlock it. :) i actually run the htcdev unlock on all my devices that do not have an engineering bootloader available,as i like having the use of fastboot flash and fastboot boot :)

but yes,its that easy. just pic one of the methods to install recovery,then reflash superuser and BAM! tooted again :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones