• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Audio issues using wired headset port

Thobias

Lurker
Jan 9, 2015
Aux Sound Issues with the Nexus 6

I'm having a problem where I can't seem to put my finger on it. I have 2 days old Nexus 6 and part of the reason why I bought the phone was to stream music in my car. However, every time i try, I get this horrible static coming from the car speakers . So naturally I thought, well it must be the cable that i'm using to hook up my phone to the aux port of my car . So i bought a shelled Aux cable and the hiss is still there. And my old Samsung S3 didn't have any problems with the sound. So next logical thing is, this phone is busted. But i don't have any hissing sound when i use regular headphones. I can't hear it, it works beautifully. My next thought is, the head phones are just not quality enough to pick up the hiss. So I have some mid-range Sure head phones that are pretty badass. I put those in and i STILL don't hear the hiss. Now i'm clueless as to what it might be. The phone makes the hiss in the car's aux port while on the charger, while off the charger, All audio programs I through at it.

I was wondering if anyone is having the same issue or had any luck solving it.
Can it be a that the phone is not grounded?

I got confused at the last part of your post so I will offer some questions to follow up.

try a different car. try a different cable.

if you hear this grounding type issue when the phone is on charge, but do Not hear this issue when the phone is not on a cigar port charging, then swap chargers, swap cigar ports, try a different car.

try to eliminate the common piece which in this case is the car. then move on to the cigar ports.

Upvote 0
Just wondering, what is the volume level of the Nexus 6 when plugged into car? Do you have volume on Nexus 6 set low and car turned up? Try raising volume on Nexus 6 for a cleaner signal.

I have the same problem when i connect my N6 to my Xp Seven headphones to my computer.. (So that you can answer the phone when you are gaming.)
Does not matter if i turn volume up or down, same static sound all the time. But when i'm holding the phone in my hands near the body the static disappears in headphones.
Will try in another car with the same phone later and see if i have the same problem there.

Upvote 0
How do you expect help over the Internet when you haven't provided any info?

Are you rooted?
What firmware version?
Carrier?
What app are you using for music? Use any other app? Some apps like poweramp, can change this behavior when an audio plug is inserted /removed.
Soft reset /reboot?
Try different headphones? Try a 3.5mm cable to test?
Can music /sound be heard through the headphone port?
Install or uninstall any app prior to this?

Headphone port could have physical damage...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones