• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Australian Android 2.1 Upgrade for GT540

DarkMaverik

Lurker
Dec 26, 2010
Ok. So I just bought a sparkly new LG GT540 Optimus on Boxing day here in Australia, and I wanted to update the OS. The Australian LG site claims that there is an update available, but the link is broken. I then proceeded to get the updater from the UK site, and installed all the drivers etc. And now the updater just tells me that I already have the latest version, while my phone assures me that it is still running Android 1.6 :\

Is there a reason for this? Is it just a matter of the Australian's getting gyped while the UK users get 2.1? If so, is there a way to install it anyway that isn't going to involve 500 lines of Unix code? (I'm tech savvy, but I'm by no means a pro. Unix still scares the pants off me).

If it helps, I bought it from an AllPhones store as an "Optus Phone" and I have a Virgin SIM card (Though as of yet, I have not inserted it).

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones