• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Auto Killer Preferences

Yep because its always been true. And while Autokiller doesn't do the same as a taskkiller you use it for the same reason, to free memory. And for the hundredth time free memory does not equal useable cache memory for the phone it will simply try to reload apps again only with AK it will load less. But again more free memory does not = better performance on an android phone.
This is not Windows this is not a BlackBerry This is not win7 phone.

Someone show me a article or documentation that says otherwise and I will admit the follies of my way?? Because I can show you pages and pages of web hits that back me up. :cool::D

Its not just about performance gains. It shuts down rogue apps to save on battery life. This is a fact and non debatable.

You kids play nice now, I'm checking out of this thread cuz its going nowhere :)

Upvote 0
Well, I had problems with it closing apps that I was using and it said "closed due to low system memory" or some bs, but when I checked all the bloatware would be in the memory that could have been killed instead of what I was using.

Obviously your phone has a problem Using Autokiller to fix it is just hiding the real problem by putting a band aid on it.

Upvote 0
Obviously your phone has a problem Using Autokiller to fix it is just hiding the real problem by putting a band aid on it.

If the phone is perfect with stock settings then why do all the devs of roms increase the stock settings to make the phone run smoother? Every Rom I've checked out increase the threshold and all have run better than stock, with little to no lag. You can keep your stock sh!t, I love how fast my phone is.

Reactions: jreed2560
Upvote 0
If the phone is perfect with stock settings then why do all the devs of roms increase the stock settings to make the phone run smoother? Every Rom I've checked out increase the threshold and all have run better than stock, with little to no lag. You can keep your stock sh!t, I love how fast my phone is.

I've never seen any ROM, much less all, do that with the exception now of Fabs and he only sets it to about 10 meg more than stock. Which ROMs are you referring to?

BTW I never said the phone was perfect at stock just that freeing memory on your own doesn't make the phone use the added/freed memory like everyone seems to think. Everyone bases this on how Windows works and how some phones in the past worked. Android is different and doesn't need you freeing memory for it, it does nothing but make the phone work harder. The phone happily goes along doing what it always did you just have 100 megs of wasted doing nothing RAM. With auto killer if you needed the RAM and filled it up AK would kill the apps to free it again. You don't see a problem with that?

Again Free RAM on an android phone does not equal cache memory

You don't have to believe me I don't care but do a little research on the subject its not hard to find.

You won't find a single knowledgeable source that will confirm what all the TK and AK killer user claim.

Upvote 0
Do you run a rom? I ask because I've seen you post in some of the Rom threads.

Your point? I don't run AK or ATK I use ROMs because I like to monkey with my phone not free RAM.

For all the band aid lovers if the sore under the band aid never healed would you wear it forever? I'm guessing you'd do something to fix it. I'm the same with my phone, If it has a problem I look for a fix not a BandAid. But that's just me.

You all have fun AutoKilling if that what you like. ;)

Upvote 0
Never said or wanted CACHE memory. See thing is different applcations have different memory footprints (allocations, call it what you want).

Therefore some need might need special tuning to work better with the OS limits. This is where autokiller (or just straight up modding the code) comes into play.

If you find you have issues with some apps, you can adjust and see if it gets better. Fine tuning vs one size fits all.

Just like even thought my car has a computer controled engine, I adjusted the computer parameters for how I drive and the new cam I put in it. Now it runs better, outside the standard paramters of the engine computer.

Modding memory allocations is like retuning the OS for the applications you currently use and the services running in the background.

Reactions: jreed2560
Upvote 0
Your point? I don't run AK or ATK I use ROMs because I like to monkey with my phone not free RAM.

For all the band aid lovers if the sore under the band aid never healed would you wear it forever? I'm guessing you'd do something to fix it. I'm the same with my phone, If it has a problem I look for a fix not a BandAid. But that's just me.

You all have fun AutoKilling if that what you like. ;)

My point is that you can use autokiller to fix the "wasted memory" problem you get from roms. You can use autokiller to set your phone back to stock parameters

Upvote 0
I've never seen any ROM, much less all, do that with the exception now of Fabs and he only sets it to about 10 meg more than stock. Which ROMs are you referring to?

BTW I never said the phone was perfect at stock just that freeing memory on your own doesn't make the phone use the added/freed memory like everyone seems to think. Everyone bases this on how Windows works and how some phones in the past worked. Android is different and doesn't need you freeing memory for it, it does nothing but make the phone work harder. The phone happily goes along doing what it always did you just have 100 megs of wasted doing nothing RAM. With auto killer if you needed the RAM and filled it up AK would kill the apps to free it again. You don't see a problem with that?

Again Free RAM on an android phone does not equal cache memory

You don't have to believe me I don't care but do a little research on the subject its not hard to find.

You won't find a single knowledgeable source that will confirm what all the TK and AK killer user claim.
The main roms I've used are apex and rubix neither one allows my memory to get as low as stock. I start getting lag/freezing with a stock phone within 1-3 hours depending on usage. It took 3 days to notice a little lag on ApeX, and I've only run rubix for 2 days at a time and haven't noticed lag. I know ApeX raises the threshold, and assume rubix does because when I check the memory its always higher than stock and has never lagged. When I had lag on ApeX I just installed autokiller and adjusted the settings up a few mb and no more lag. If free memory is wasted memory how come the stock threshold isn't 0? I understand that Android is like Linux and not windows, but different versions of Linux requires different levels free memory it doesn't mean that it needs no memory.

Upvote 0
Never said or wanted CACHE memory. See thing is different applcations have different memory footprints (allocations, call it what you want).

Therefore some need might need special tuning to work better with the OS limits. This is where autokiller (or just straight up modding the code) comes into play.

If you find you have issues with some apps, you can adjust and see if it gets better. Fine tuning vs one size fits all.

Just like even thought my car has a computer controled engine, I adjusted the computer parameters for how I drive and the new cam I put in it. Now it runs better, outside the standard paramters of the engine computer.

Modding memory allocations is like retuning the OS for the applications you currently use and the services running in the background.

Hmmm the problem is you don't know what those "memory footprints" are you simple think you do. It is the coders responsibility to allocate memory because they do know and then the OS knows and that is what the OS will use. It won't give a hoot about any other memory that may be available.

The reason it works for your car is you do know what it takes and you can adjust accordingly. I really don't see what your cars computer setting have to do with Android memory management though.

The fact is you all think more free memory equals more memory the system will use to speed up things and that isn't true.

I challenge you to find me something that says otherwise.

Upvote 0
The main roms I've used are apex and rubix neither one allows my memory to get as low as stock. I start getting lag/freezing with a stock phone within 1-3 hours depending on usage. It took 3 days to notice a little lag on ApeX, and I've only run rubix for 2 days at a time and haven't noticed lag. I know ApeX raises the threshold, and assume rubix does because when I check the memory its always higher than stock and has never lagged. When I had lag on ApeX I just installed autokiller and adjusted the settings up a few mb and no more lag. If free memory is wasted memory how come the stock threshold isn't 0? I understand that Android is like Linux and not windows, but different versions of Linux requires different levels free memory it doesn't mean that it needs no memory.

I removed Autokiller from Apex, and it's still much faster than Tranquility 2.3.5. I also can see where autokiller might be needed for some, but so far I haven't sceen a need for it for my use. Was this a bad idea to remove autokiller from apex? Maybe, but it hasn't been giving y any stability issues since removing it.

Upvote 0

And this is a version of Linux that doesn't need you messing with it. And since the developers seems to have set it for around 50meg free why do you think you know better than the OS dev?

As for as your claim that Apex and Rubix changes the values I have no proof they do (They certainly don't claim they do) or that it does any good. Heck I don't even know where to look at my free memory:D

Anyways I can see for the believers there no changing your minds so go for it.

Later

Upvote 0
I removed Autokiller from Apex, and it's still much faster than Tranquility 2.3.5. I also can see where autokiller might be needed for some, but so far I haven't sceen a need for it for my use. Was this a bad idea to remove autokiller from apex? Maybe, but it hasn't been giving y any stability issues since removing it.

ApeX doesn't come with autokiller, but he modified the stock parameters. If your phone is running just as good without autokiller as it did with it then there is no need for it. What I noticed with ApeX is very little lag infrequently, but I try not to have any lag so autokiller bumped up the settings just a bit and no more lag at all.

Upvote 0
As for as your claim that Apex and Rubix changes the values I have no proof they do (They certainly don't claim they do) or that it does any good.

Fab said he did and you mentioned that in one of your post above, did you forget that? I said I assume rubix did because my memory doesn't drop as low as stock, who knows maybe he didn't but it works when stock doesn't on my phone

Upvote 0
Hmmm the problem is you don't know what those "memory footprints" are you simple think you do. It is the coders responsibility to allocate memory because they do know and then the OS knows and that is what the OS will use. It won't give a hoot about any other memory that may be available.

The reason it works for your car is you do know what it takes and you can adjust accordingly. I really don't see what your cars computer setting have to do with Android memory management though.

The fact is you all think more free memory equals more memory the system will use to speed up things and that isn't true.

I challenge you to find me something that says otherwise.

So are you in my mind? no Don't think so. So stop thinking your know what I am thinking.

Secondly. Show me where Android OS dynamically adjusts these particular parameters on the fly. Or they are set the code and items are shuffled around. I mean the limits, not the actual usage. Yes the actual usage is dynamic, the limits are not that I know of. So please prove me wrong there if you can.

Thrid: I think more free memory means that when I load certain programs that are very memory Dependant then they load better and quicker and AOS doesn't have to unload things out of the way for the process to reside. How would I know this. Well pretty simple, I adjust the setting see how it works for a day or 2. Then adjust again, when I notice no lag and better performance I know I adjust correctly. When stock settings lagged noticeably. Note I don't run a taskkiller per se and I don't use Autokiller's task killer functions. again how to use a tool properly.

And this is a version of Linux that doesn't need you messing with it. And since the developers seems to have set it for around 50meg free why do you think you know better than the OS dev?

As for as your claim that Apex and Rubix changes the values I have no proof they do (They certainly don't claim they do) or that it does any good. Heck I don't even know where to look at my free memory:D

Anyways I can see for the believers there no changing your minds so go for it.

Later

So then are you a developer by chance? for who or are you freelance. What have you programed?

And here's the real rub, I don't really care. You don't use it fine quit knocking us that do and have seen improvements.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones