• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Available memory?

tjreishus

Android Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2009
I THOUGHT that I had around 220m of memory when I first received the droid. coming from the storm and the storm 2 I was really impressed. I downloaded the Advanced Task Killer so that I can better manage my memory. I have only installed about 8 or 9 apps and now I commonly find my droid running slowly about 5 or 6 times a day. I run the app killer and find that it's down to 25 to 35m of memory remaining. After killing all the running apps it goes up to about 85. What happened to all the memory I had? I can't get it to get up to what I had on the storm 2. Now, I always run the app killer after opening ANYTHING at all. Any thoughts on this?

Check out this blog: "Linux Uses Too Much Memory!" A (very) Basic Linux Memory Guide

Basically, here is the deal.

Your computer is using all of your memory to optimize the performance of Linux. It caches or stores pieces of applications on your memory so that when you need them, it will not have to hunt around the hard drive to find the application. Now IF you bring up a program, and your memory is "full" Linux automatically kicks some of the cache out to make room. It is a fast-as-lightening operation that does nothing but make Linux optimized and faster.

Upvote 0
Interesting. So, if it kicks things out when it needs more, it shouldn't slow down too much... should it? Maybe I have just become obsessed with the memory thing coming from the BB and I don't really need to close everything out after using them? How often should I be killing my apps? Should I not kill anything for a while to see how it takes care of itself? If it works I don't want to be making work for myself when it's not needed. For example, when i look something up on using Maps, then when I am done I would click on the home button to get me to my home screen then click on app killer so that it was closed. I would do this after every app I used to close them out. Am I over doing it?​

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones