• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help AVI file playback issue

Okay, so this is weird.

I've *cough* downloaded some avi. files in the past and and uploaded them to Dropbox with no problem streaming them later on my phone.

This has worked fine up until recently. I normally use rockplayer lite to playback these files but have found the onboard media player also plays these files fine.

Up until about a week ago now though, neither rockplayer, onboard media player or ANY other player "claiming to play avi" off the market will play any avi file.

I get a message either unable to open or unable to play the file.

I don't know if there's been a settings change or what but now non of the numerous files I've tried will stream and play on the phone.

I don't think it's something with either rockplayer or other media player out there.

My only alternative at this point is to physically load the file onto the phone and see if that works.

Anyone have any suggestions?

As stated earlier this was working before so I don't know if something's changed. Before suggesting this player or that know that I've tried about 8 or so different players off the market with no success.

Well, I just physically moved the file onto the phone and it's working like a charm.
So that rules out rockplayer or any other media player as the culprit.

I still don't know what the hell is going on and at this point it's either a "compression" issue with the actual files or maybe some sort of "network" issue related to my firewall settings. I'm doubtful of the last one in that I tried different file types (mp3/jpg) and they all showed up on my phone just fine.

Or maybe my phone is too busy trying to kill the iPhone it doesn't have time for my stupid requests.

You'd think the iPhone would be dead by now, what with all the ............erm "killers" that have come after it. :p

Upvote 0
Anyone have any ideas?

*crosses fingers*

Please say - root bro, please say root bro.

Other than root, I've tried just about everything. I even tried the above mentioned MX Player.

It's not an issue with any other file type as MP3's and such work fine from DropBox.
This was something that was working before.

Let me guess, root bro?

Upvote 0
Sadly, rooting will have zero affect on playing media files, but why wouldn't you want to root anyway haha. To be honest the stock video (TouchWiz) player used to play all my media files with ease, but on ICS AOKP I've had to try 3rd party players as well, such as QuickPic. This other one is still in beta, but you can give it a go. Scroll down the first post to "Attached Files" and download the one with "A9" at the end of the file name.

VLC Player

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones