• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root AWEstruck Kernel Settings and Review

dragonhart6505

Android Expert
Feb 4, 2012
Ok, here goes my promised experience review on overclocking the ZTE AWE N800 :

First I must mention that I have 2 Awe N800 devices. Both phones are in practically mint condition, but are different in one major way. Recall our reference of "chip quality" during the first few rounds of testing kernels by rbheromax and cooldudezach. Basically some devices could handle ludicrous clocks (which turned out to be wrong freq. tables that were later fixed) while others were barely able to boot with the kernel. This is a result of manufacturing done wrong and experiences have been varied across the board. The overclock project then went defunct and was eventually started over seperately by spock1104 (who developed AWEstruck) and phenomx4 (who developed CM11 and its various KK roms) as the OG devs moved on to other things. Rbheromax continued to work with spock1104 on adding features to AWEstruck.

I own one of each device, a good (or apparently perfect) quality chip and a low/mid quality chip.

I'll refer to them as:
Beauty (low/mid)
The Beast (for obvious reasons)

All of my testing was done under the same conditions for both devices using 3c Toolbox to tune over a clean rom install with very few app installations. For testing stability I used Performance governor at max clock speed using Performance gpu as well. I then used Quadrant to run the benchmarks. As a baseline on-boot setting I have set the clocks to 1.72ghz using ondemand governor and let it rest for a minute or two before setting to Performance for testing. Entropy settings are also set fairly low, but I'm still finding the perfect balance. High entropy results in high CPU load.

My experience with each phone differs due to what clocks their chip will handle. I have tested extensively both devices with both JB and KK variants of the AWEstruck kernel with the same roms (CM11 and AWEsome Rom 1.6) and kernel version, ie the current 1.05 beta 4. These roms are the lightest available with the minimum requirements necessary to boot and use.

I'll note that I did remove some junk from AWEsome and replaced a couple of apps, mainly KK Launcher for S Launcher and Trickstermod for 3c Toolbox. AWEsome does not include the current beta kernel as well, so you will need to manually flash it in TWRP. Same goes for CM11 and its variants. These revisions are expected to be made available to my AWEsome Rom when I get hold of a computer to do so.

Beauty doesnt like high clocks. The highest stable speed is at 1.72ghz and will even reboot randomly depending on CPU load. The Beast will reach 1.94ghz without a sweat and take everything I throw at it and then some. The Beast has reached 1.99ghz on occasion, but to do so requires raising the voltages just high enough to keep the chip happy or else all hell breaks loose. The same can be said for Beauty at 1.83ghz, but it is much less likely to hold no matter what volts I set.

When setting clock speeds too high for each, one of three things can happen. Either the screen will completely freak out and have a seizure but the phone still responds to touches (with animations causing the seizure to occur), the phone will soft reboot to the boot animation that gets super glitched and loops, or it will flatout freeze and reboot.

Now for the kernel variants and their experiences.

JB kernel is meant specifically for stock based roms. Ive really had no problems outside of the above issues. Everything is buttery smooth and very responsive. Wifi is quick to connect and signal strength seems improved over stock. Bluetooth is no issue either. HID connects in a snap. This shouldnt surprise many people as its basically a souped up modded stock kernel rebuilt from the ground up. Performance is all around beautiful with very few if not any stutters while multitasking and apps load fairly quick. One small issue is that YouTube app videos do not play properly. They will stutter and buffer constantly. Also for some reason it claims to be booting at 2.05ghz though it never actually ever reaches this clock. Quadrant scores tend to be in the low to mid 6k on Beauty at 1.72ghz while on The Beast can reach as high as 7300+ at 1.94ghz.

KK kernel is much the same experience. Very snappy, performs mundane tasks without a hitch and handles the larger ones with relative ease. The only caveat ive found is that Bluetooth HID does not work properly as of yet. I own a MOGA Pro controller and cannot get Mode B to connect. Quadrant scores however are not quite as high as on JB kernel. I'll manage at most around 5600 - 5800 on Beauty and low to mid 6k on The Beast.

Battery life is what you make of it. I am an addicted gamer and The Beast is my fix. I usually up the clocks at performance while doing so and as a result ill get much less battery life. Display brightness will also have an impact. Wakelocks and background apps are also resource thieves. There are apps like Greenify to counteract this stuff and I also use Startup Manager to restrict apps loading on boot. Some things still sneak through the cracks though like most of the Google junk and can't be avoided entirely. Managing memory can also help keep your device on. Thats why I opted to use S Launcher. By sliding from the left edge of the screen you can view how much RAM is being used and there is also a nifty "clean memory" button there to free some up. Very handy and highly recommended by me. On average with reasonable clocks I can manage nearly a full day with moderate use on both JB and KK.

Temperature is dependent on a couple of variables and is the same across both kernels. It mostly comes down to CPU load and how well the governor handles managing the clocks. High load means more CPU usage which will max out your clock setting. I recently discovered that Intellidemand is great at managing clocks on load, so this may help battery life too. I tend to turn off the Thermal Control feature but I'm a power user and like unrestricted clocks. Same thing with MP-Decision. While your phone may get warm to the touch depending on what your doing, I havent noticed any real negative side effects. Its basically up to you to decide whether you want to use these features or not.

So theres that. Below you will find some FAQs that I anticipate will probably come up in your mind. If you have any other questions about maybe a game or app request or would like some more clarification on a certain aspect of my testing experience feel free to ask.

Shoutouts:
rbheromax and cooldudezach - for the work they put in to make overclocking possible on this AWEsome device

spock1104 and phenomx4 - for their continued support and hard work to keep this thing alive

One last thing:

I'm not responsible if your device bursts into flames while trying to achieve the same level of performance I have experienced. Every phone is different and your results may vary.

Dragon out!

I do plan on adding pictures and video to this thread, as well as links to everything you could possibly need for your phone, so for now consider a WIP.

P.S: While I'm not in any way shape or form asking you to, I would accept any donations if you feel the urge to do so if you happen to find I did a relatively good job with this writeup. They would go to my acquisition of more devices to help test things out for more developers in the overly-extensive manner that I do. If you do feel generous enough to help out, inbox me for the details.

Last edited:
Links:

Rom Threads: These are personal preference. I'm not a big feature-fan, so these selections offer the purest Android experience you can find at the moment. If a rom isnt here that you like, check the forum.

[Rom/Kernel]AWEsome Rom[V1.6] by dragonhart6505
- Based on stock Jellybean 4.1.2. Includes an older beta build of AWEstruck kernel, requires a manual flash of the latest kernel below. Needs an overhaul, and I appreciate any feedback on your experience

[ROM][BETA][4.4.4] CyanogenMod 11 12/3/2014 by phemomx4 - KitKat port of CM11. Includes its own overclock kernel that is proven stable at max clock. Requires a manual flash of the latest AWEstruck kernel below if you so choose to use it

AWEstruck Kernel:

[DEV][KERNEL][LINARO] AWEstruck v1.04 12/14/14 - thread/development by spock1104

Latest beta: links will be updated as updates occur

AWEstruck_JB_v1.05_beta4.zip - 9.43 MB - only for stock 4.1.2 based roms
AWEstruck_KK_v1.05_beta4.zip - 9.51 MB - only for KitKat based roms

[Kernel]Stock B06 Kernel by edodson84 - to be flashed on stock 4.1.2 based roms if for whatever reason you need it. This one has a couple of edited features like removing MP-Decision, but otherwise it returns your kernel back to the original clock values

Pure Mods:

Here are a few mods from the "Pure" series that I have found quite useful. They are completely optional, but flash at your own risk.
Note: These mods are also included in an all-in-one package called PurePerformancesX. I do not recommend flashing this as I have noticed adverse effects like disrupting Wifi connectivity. Seperatley, however, they are perfectly safe to flash

[DEV] ◢ Pure™Graphics HD + Rendering Version ◣ | Enjoy your graphics

A fantastic mod that I have found will significantly increases graphical performance, most notably while gaming. My favorite instance to point out is with Modern Combat 4/5 and the NOVA series, as it greatly increases and stabilizes FPS (frames per second). I have also noticed a great boost in emulation performance, like with PPSSPP. This is mostly useful for gamers, and since I am one I figured I'd point it out anyway. Highly recommended for graphically intense applications. Will not affect Quadrant scores however.

★ [MOD] ◢ The New Pure Audio 2.0 ◣ | 13-02-2014 | All Devices | Golden ★

Another great mod, this time focusing on audio quality. Finding your music a little too low or not enough boom? Problem solved!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here are some likely FAQ scenarios:

Q: I want to overclock my AWE. Where do I start?

A: For the safety of your own device, I would not recommend jumping your clocks straight to where I have them. While my phones do actually reach these speeds, take them as an example. Every phone is different and yours might not handle these speeds. Ease into it. Stock kernel has a max frequency of 1.18ghz. The supposed max for AWEstruck is 2.05ghz, but it is likely not going to get that far. AWEstruck should boot at 1.13ghz, so start from there and work your way up while running a Quadrant benchmark in between clocks. The higher the score, the better your phone is performing. This will put strain on the CPU load and youll easily find the max freq. of your personal device. If you do happen to start getting LOWER scores than on a previous clock without it starting to go haywire, youve likely hit your devices limit. Best I can tell you is play around with the clocks. Your device will tell you when its had too much.

Q: How long did you test your devices til you found their limits?

A: I know my devices inside and out and have been testing every kernel version since the very first successful O/C about a year ago. I'm highly knowledged in the way overclocking works and I also know how to test its limits in a way that will (should) not harm my devices. Ive been doing it for YEARS. Take care to not push yours too high. Bricks do happen, and if so remember: I gave you fair warning.

Q: What's this talk about voltages? Can I use it to get higher clock speeds?

A: Voltages regulate how much power is going to your CPU. By default each clock speed has its own set voltage. It is true that in some cases raising/lowering the voltage on a clock could better stabilize the clock speed, but this is an advanced feature. There is always the possibility that messing with it can harm your device. Again, I know what I'm doing. Until your comfortable knowing what to expect by using voltages, I would not recommend bothering with it.

Q: What settings do you recommend for the best performance?

A: This is entirely dependent on what your device will allow. Common sense says that the highest clock speed available in your situation will result in the best performance. Also using Performance governor will lock your settings to that max clock. Just as well, the less stuff going on the background the better your results will be. Shut down processes as much as you can to get the best out of your device.

Q: What about for battery life?

A: As mentioned in the OP, this is completely up to you. The higher your clock speed, the more battery drain the CPU causes. Things like games and the Facebook app take up a lot of resources and can lower your battery life. GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, display brightness and even just having your mobile network turned on use more battery than youd expect. The more going on in the background the more power your drawing. Certain governors can help regulate your clock speeds depending on how much CPU load you have. Intellidemand, interactive, wheatley and powersave are my personal favorites for keeping my device on. Study your clock speeds in 3c Toolbox while using governors to determine how well each one is compensating for CPU load. Keep as little running as you possibly need and find a governor you like and you shouldnt have any problems keeping your device running.

Q: I'm having (insert problem/error description here). How can I let someone know about it?

A: Your looking to provide a logcat. Try Logcat Extreme in the Play Store for recording one. It will record everything going on in your system and create a text file on your storage. While it runs in the background, try to recreate whatever it was that causes the problem. Even if your device crashes or reboots the log will automatically be saved. Once your satisfied that you got the information you need, post the file to a relevant thread (or here) and a qualified dev or someone who knows how to read the logs will respond. Try to be as thorough as you can describing your issue. Logs are a developers best friend and being active in pointing out errors helps more than youll ever know.

Extra note from spock1104:
"Make sure you get a dmesg as well as a logcat. For reboots I need /proc/last_kmsg"

For this you will need Terminal Emulator. Open TE and type:
su
Youll be prompted to allow Terminal superuser permissions. Hit allow. You should see a "#". Next type this into the command shell:
dmesg > /mnt/sdcard/dmesg.txt
Next type this command:
cat /proc/last_kmsg > /mnt/sdcard/last_kmsg.txt
This will then create a dmesg.txt and last_kmsg.txt file to your storage. Post these along with the logcat to better help devs understand the errors.

Requests for Q/A are open. I'll add things I find most relevant that need to be answered here and I'll mention them as they come. All others will be answered in a direct reply.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great writeup! I do want to note that I started from scratch with the overclock code considering the results the previous kernels got, but was later working with rbheromax on other features. Also, latest beta is 1.05b4, not 1.04b4.

Consider adding a guide for people new to over clocking so that we don't get people instantly trying to go to 2 GHz on their phones.

Upvote 0
Great writeup! I do want to note that I started from scratch with the overclock code considering the results the previous kernels got, but was later working with rbheromax on other features. Also, latest beta is 1.05b4, not 1.04b4.

Consider adding a guide for people new to over clocking so that we don't get people instantly trying to go to 2 GHz on their phones.
Fixed, fixed and reworded. I plan on putting a safe O/C table in either its own thread or in the FAQ (for convenience)

Edit: added a Q/A on safely overclocking. This should be sufficient to helping you get started.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Check my Q/A. Anything else you'd like to see?

Upvote 0
I just wanted to say to all who have put their time and effort into development of the overclock kernel thanks so much I really appreciate all the hard work use have done. Thank you dragonhart6505 for such a well documented overclock experience.
No problem ^_^ I always try to be a thorough as possible in things like this so I truly understand all the whats, hows and whys. Providing detailed explanations is kind of my forte though ive been told its also really annoying. My opinion...take it as you will. Thanks for reading!

Upvote 0
Make sure you get a dmesg as well as a logcat. For reboots I need /proc/last_kmsg
Wow...just did this myself to make sure I had the commands right and found them entirely comprised of GL errors. This is after setting my clocks above the max that caused a screen "seziure". Here's the files as an example to others

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    127.6 KB · Views: 107
  • last_kmsg.txt
    1 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones