• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Backing up my contact pictures??

XXXdc5

Android Enthusiast
May 1, 2010
I've backed up my contacts and phone numbers and all that stuff in like 5 different ways BUT is there a way to back up the pictures i've saved for each of my contacts??

If not, does anyone know where the folder is located that saves those thumbnails so i can just copy it to my computer?

I just tried this out. Going into Setting--Accounts & Sync.

I pressed to Sync my contacts to my gmail. Once this was done, I checked my gmail on my computer. All contacts (including contact pictures) were sync'ed and appeared on my gmail account.

So, just simple gmail contact sync'ing should do what you are asking....A complete backup, including contact pictures

Note: I had previously not checked for gmail contact sync'ing....so none of my contacts were sync'ed to my gmail account. I checked and confirmed this prior to sync'ing. After sync'ing, all contacts transferred in their entirety.

Upvote 0
I just tried this out. Going into Setting--Accounts & Sync.

I pressed to Sync my contacts to my gmail. Once this was done, I checked my gmail on my computer. All contacts (including contact pictures) were sync'ed and appeared on my gmail account.

So, just simple gmail contact sync'ing should do what you are asking....A complete backup, including contact pictures

Note: I had previously not checked for gmail contact sync'ing....so none of my contacts were sync'ed to my gmail account. I checked and confirmed this prior to sync'ing. After sync'ing, all contacts transferred in their entirety.
sounds like a good last resort because i dont want all 4-500 of the random contacts synced to my gmail. I'll do this if there's no other way to access the pictures

I actually dont have THAT many pictures associated with the contacts so if i can figure out where they are being stored on the phone and just copy them manually that would be awesome

Edit: i went to accounts and sync and the contacts box is already checked but none of my phone contacts are on my gmail. I'm pretty sure this is to sync your gmail contacts so that they sync to your phone, nothing to do with your "people" application contacts

Upvote 0
They are probably being stored in some strange data file that can only be accessed with a rooted phone. Just my guess. I doubt they are even kept in jpg format (or whatever format your original picture is)
LOL the irony is that to root your phone to get to them...they will be gone after you root

LOL!!

it doesnt matter what format they are in because i would just put them right back where they are on the phone after i root

IDK if i said this but the reason i want to figure this out is so after i root i dont have to add each contact picture back individually

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones