• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Backing up Paid Apps

In addition to backing up my personal data, can I back up paid apps? I only got two apps that I have paid for. If I have to pay again if I lose them, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Most apps can be backed-up, even paid apps. There are a few that wont allow you to though. If you do lose them, you shouldnt have to pay for them again though.

Upvote 0
If you do a hard reset or replace the device when you log back in with your gmail information and go into market they will already be listed there under my downloads as purchased. There is no need to back them up.

A few people have mentioned that they sometimes do not show back up when a new OS is installed. I don't know if this is actually the case, but better safe than sorry I say.

Upvote 0
When I reset my phone all of the apps that I had installed and paid for showed up in My Market. All you have to do is reinstall all of them.

The point OTD was making is with the upcomming 2.1 update the entire OS will be replaced. Some people have said the Apps dont show up after an OS update, thus its a good idea to back them up if you can.

I wonder what happens with paid apps that you have to install the .apk yourself because of the OS update. If that app has an update, do you get the update or do you have to purchase again. For example, I have ourchased Bettercut and I have backed it up. Lets say that once we get the OS update I check the market and it doesnt show Bettercut anymore so I install my backed up copy. The next time Bettercut has an update, will I get it, or would I have to purchase the app again?

Upvote 0
The point OTD was making is with the upcomming 2.1 update the entire OS will be replaced. Some people have said the Apps dont show up after an OS update, thus its a good idea to back them up if you can.

I wonder what happens with paid apps that you have to install the .apk yourself because of the OS update. If that app has an update, do you get the update or do you have to purchase again. For example, I have ourchased Bettercut and I have backed it up. Lets say that once we get the OS update I check the market and it doesnt show Bettercut anymore so I install my backed up copy. The next time Bettercut has an update, will I get it, or would I have to purchase the app again?

I ran into that problem with FeedR. I made a backup of it before the last update and then reinstalled it from the backup and not the market. I was not notified about the last 2 updates that took place. I went ahead and just paid for it again (it is $0.99 and I don't mind supporting the developer), but I am sure that most devs will help you get your apps back if you can show that you paid for them.

Upvote 0
In addition to backing up my personal data, can I back up paid apps? I only got two apps that I have paid for. If I have to pay again if I lose them, it wouldn't be a big deal.

As a former iPhone user (yes, I dropped it for the Eris), most apps that were purchased were not required to be purchased again. This did not apply to all however, even logging in with your iTunes ID. :mad: I haven't purchased anything from the market here, so hopefully there isn't ever a need to re-purchase if you are using the same gmail ID...

Upvote 0
You can backup "Paid" Protected apps.... you need the SDK to pull out the .apk (installer files). install the latest android SDK, check out the tools folder of the SDK, run a command line from there, and do the following:

adb pull /data/app-private/*

you will then have a backup of all the "protected" apps that you paid for, save the .apk files to your SD card with the rest of your backed up apps. Now you can install them when you want to later unprotected.

For other details of general backing up of stuffs on your phone using the SDK check out:
http://jonwestfall.com/2009/08/backup-restore-android-apps-using-adb/

Upvote 0
You can backup "Paid" Protected apps.... you need the SDK to pull out the .apk (installer files). install the latest android SDK, check out the tools folder of the SDK, run a command line from there, and do the following:

adb pull /data/app-private/*

you will then have a backup of all the "protected" apps that you paid for, save the .apk files to your SD card with the rest of your backed up apps. Now you can install them when you want to later unprotected.

For other details of general backing up of stuffs on your phone using the SDK check out:
Backup & Restore Android Apps Using ADB | JonWestfall.Com

Excellent tip, thanks!

Upvote 0
In any case, installing something from your SD card that is an .apk file,

won't show up in Market. If, and only if, you've installed it from Market directly,
will it show up for Updates.

This is my experience with backing up with ES File Explorer.

It is the same for me with any backup I have used. Once you install it from a backup it is no longer coming from the market and/or connected to the apps in the market.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones