• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bad News: Limited Stock of Droid X For Launch

dont be upset. All of the 8 vzw stores near me denied me a preorder even til TODAY!!

good thing i went with best buy 2 weeks ago. Usually I try several sources, fortunately i was able to hit best buy early.

I preordered with BB also (the first round), but they will not honor my NE2 so that's $50 extra, and I keep reading rumors that they aren't sure they'll have them on the 15th.

Upvote 0
I preordered with BB also (the first round), but they will not honor my NE2 so that's $50 extra, and I keep reading rumors that they aren't sure they'll have them on the 15th.

i believe reading somewhere that after you purchase the phone, you can call verizon and have them credit you back the ne2 difference. I will try to find that post....i think someone did it with an incredible.

I think you will be ok. As far as the preorders go you should be good if youre within the first 10-20 people. After that i think it will be a problem

Upvote 0
i believe reading somewhere that after you purchase the phone, you can call verizon and have them credit you back the ne2 difference. I will try to find that post....i think someone did it with an incredible.

I think you will be ok. As far as the preorders go you should be good if youre within the first 10-20 people. After that i think it will be a problem

Calling Verizon and asking for the credit is a great tip. I'll have to try that if I go the BB route.

Upvote 0
I think I know the reason why there are such limited supplies... Verizon shipped too many review units! It seems every two-bit blog and you tube poster has one?! I think I saw one driving around on some type of Lego mindstorm contraption yesterday!!

Sure as heck not like the time leading up to the Inc launch? We barely knew what one looked like if I recall correctly.

Upvote 0
Just talked to my local verizon store here in northern ohio and she said they were told they would not have a problem with launch day stock. They are not doing pre orders but she did set an appt for me at 9 am and said that is when they open and i am her first appt so even if 20 people are in line as soon as they open i am her first customer. They have 3 reps that are working that morning so at worst i am 3rd. nice up nichole, nice up

Upvote 0
Just talked to my local verizon store here in northern ohio and she said they were told they would not have a problem with launch day stock. They are not doing pre orders but she did set an appt for me at 9 am and said that is when they open and i am her first appt so even if 20 people are in line as soon as they open i am her first customer. They have 3 reps that are working that morning so at worst i am 3rd. nice up nichole, nice up

thats great news! I sure hope she is right, but congrats, only 2 days to go.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking (though not 100% sure yet) about taking my Inc back (still within its 30 days since purchase guarantee) and paying the $35 restocking fee to get the Droid X. But my 30 days runs out on July 21st. What would happen if the store doesn't get enough Droid Xs in stock by then? If it goes past 30 days but I've already requested the switch, I'd hope they'd honor that, but I guess it is totally at their discretion. My name is on their "waiting list" but they said they already have over 30 people on it, and still couldn't confirm how many they'll be getting in stock. I have to use this store because it's where I bought my Incredible from and it has to be returned there. It's an interesting dilemma :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Just got off the phone with a Verizon "outside sales consultant" and the convo went something like this....

Me: "hey"

that guy: "hey"

Me: "How many Droid X's will be available on launch?"

that guy: "They haven't told us any numbers"

Me: "oh"

that guy: "yeah"

Me: "So its kinda first come first serve?"

that guy: "Yeah, its kinda balls to the wall. Excuse my expression." (he actually said that lol :D)

Me: "ha ha ha"

that guy: "Oh wait, actually....What did you say?" (talking to a guy in the background)

that guy again: "One of my associates just looked and we have a couple of store and will be getting about 60 to 70 per store. So the numbers are going to be pretty limited. But I can't hold one or anything like that for anyone."

Me: "k bye."

In short, this guy was saying that between the "couple" of stores that he works at around the atlanta and athens area, there are this many? Not sure how to take it.

anyways, i guess I'm just going to order one online asap.

Upvote 0
I don't think that any large-scale successful business would purposely engineer a low supply of their product (not technically a "shortage"). An inadequate supply is not good for business. Aside from not capitalizing on all their marketing efforts, increased traffic, and the novelty of the item, low supply won't increase demand and generally leads to a loss of customers (low price increases demand, not low supply). Most consumers are not obsessed with their devices like we are and will not wait out for the next batch of Droid X's; they'll simply buy something else. The vast majority of Droid owners I know do not browse Android forums and weren't particularly waiting for or excited to buy a Droid. They just thought it looked cool and listened to the sales guy or their friend or cousin or whatever. Had it not been there, they'd of purchased something else. If I wanna see a movie and it's sold out every time I try and see it - because it's only showing at two theaters in my area - I'm just going to spend my money on something else and maybe get to it down the line - or maybe not, maybe I'll forget about it. Unless I'm some die-hard fan, it won't make me want to see the thing more, it'll just irritate me. I think a lot of ppl are like that with phones. Unless they're like us, surfing the web at all hours and counting the days until our X's get here. Okay, lecture over. Schools out. I'm done.

Upvote 0
I don't think that any large-scale successful business would purposely engineer a low supply of their product (not technically a "shortage"). An inadequate supply is not good for business. Aside from not capitalizing on all their marketing efforts, increased traffic, and the novelty of the item, low supply won't increase demand and generally leads to a loss of customers (low price increases demand, not low supply). Most consumers are not obsessed with their devices like we are and will not wait out for the next batch of Droid X's; they'll simply buy something else. The vast majority of Droid owners I know do not browse Android forums and weren't particularly waiting for or excited to buy a Droid. They just thought it looked cool and listened to the sales guy or their friend or cousin or whatever. Had it not been there, they'd of purchased something else. If I wanna see a movie and it's sold out every time I try and see it - because it's only showing at two theaters in my area - I'm just going to spend my money on something else and maybe get to it down the line - or maybe not, maybe I'll forget about it. Unless I'm some die-hard fan, it won't make me want to see the thing more, it'll just irritate me. I think a lot of ppl are like that with phones. Unless they're like us, surfing the web at all hours and counting the days until our X's get here. Okay, lecture over. Schools out. I'm done.

Well said, my thoughts exactly. If there is limited stock, it would not likely be due to Verizon withholding to gain attention...

Upvote 0
Well said, my thoughts exactly. If there is limited stock, it would not likely be due to Verizon withholding to gain attention...

Exactly! When there is a shortage, most people don't say, "Hey, it's out of stock, it must be popular. I want one too!" They just figure, ok, then I'll go get my 2nd choice, an iPhone. Shortages do not increase demand, advertising and low prices do. Shortages just cause frustration and irritation. (anybody wanna talk about the Incredible?)

I'm Patiently/Impatiently waiting for the release of the Droid X!

Upvote 0
So I decided to go to a store thats quite out of the way from me because my usual verizon store won't have enough. The store I'm going to will have 55 in stock, and its a city of about 96,000. I don't know what my chances are, but the guy I talked to on the phone says there is no waiting list-- first come first serve. So I'm gonna get there at 7:30 (they open at 9). Hope that will work out.

Upvote 0
The VZW corp store near me said they were getting 30 DX's and they had a list with 38 names on it. The rep did not want to put my name on the list because I am not eligible for an upgrade. The first shipment of phones are for new customers and customers who are eligible for upgrade. He did mention about adding a second line and I said I did not want that because I have a BB Storm 2 and I did not want to pay for 2 data plans.:eek:

As soon as I am able to I am ordering online and getting overnite shipping.

BTW the store had a live demo unit and it was sweet! It is actually thinner than my BB Storm 2 (except where the camera hump is) and light weight (but not flimsy). Scrolling was very smooth. I soooooooooooooooo want one now!:D

Upvote 0
The VZW corp store near me said they were getting 30 DX's and they had a list with 38 names on it. The rep did not want to put my name on the list because I am not eligible for an upgrade. The first shipment of phones are for new customers and customers who are eligible for upgrade. He did mention about adding a second line and I said I did not want that because I have a BB Storm 2 and I did not want to pay for 2 data plans.:eek:

As soon as I am able to I am ordering online and getting overnite shipping.

BTW the store had a live demo unit and it was sweet! It is actually thinner than my BB Storm 2 (except where the camera hump is) and light weight (but not flimsy). Scrolling was very smooth. I soooooooooooooooo want one now!:D

You could always try BB. I'm doing that and if there are any issues with them, then I am definitely going to order online and get it on Friday.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones