• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery consumption while on standby

While I don't have a S7, I don't think that drain (on marshmallow) is normal.

I charge my phone (Nexus 6) just before I go to sleep, and it stays off the charger (disconnected from WiFi/Mobile data) till morning. about 7-8 hours. When I wake up, my phone is usually between 97% and 99%. This is repeatable - same results everyday.
(I'm not using a custom ROM or kernel etc)

As for the 13% drop in 10 hours, I'd suggest checking to see what app is using up battery. Charge your phone up, and leave it idle overnight. In the morning, go to settings/battery and see what the top battery draining apps are.
> If you find Android system or Google Play services in the top few, reboot your phone and see if that helps
> If you find third party apps in the top few positions, you may want to restrict background data for those, or reduce sync frequency, or look for alternative apps)

Upvote 0
While I don't have a S7, I don't think that drain (on marshmallow) is normal.

I charge my phone (Nexus 6) just before I go to sleep, and it stays off the charger (disconnected from WiFi/Mobile data) till morning. about 7-8 hours. When I wake up, my phone is usually between 97% and 99%. This is repeatable - same results everyday.
(I'm not using a custom ROM or kernel etc)

As for the 13% drop in 10 hours, I'd suggest checking to see what app is using up battery. Charge your phone up, and leave it idle overnight. In the morning, go to settings/battery and see what the top battery draining apps are.
> If you find Android system or Google Play services in the top few, reboot your phone and see if that helps
> If you find third party apps in the top few positions, you may want to restrict background data for those, or reduce sync frequency, or look for alternative apps)

Always On Display on the S7 was announced to use up to 1% of battery per hour. It's lower now after updates. With WiFi and Data off with several apps set to run in Background (Lightflow, Tasker, Notifly, etc) I get around 0.5-0.8% per hour. Thats good for about 95-97% per hour. Shutting all those stuff off will give me even better battery life.

If the OP had AOD on, and WiFi active, with apps syncing in the background, that battery life is perfectly normal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones