• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery drain after update to 4.04

RobotSnow

Lurker
Mar 25, 2013
After updating my LG Thrive to 4.04 from 2.35 I have seen horrible battery life.

Although I had already done a factory reset I decided to try removing the battery to see if that would help. I waited until the phone was fully charged and then unplugged it, shut down the phone, removed the battery, waited 15-20 seconds, reinserted the battery, powered up the phone and immediately went into the battery usage part to check all stats had been reset for later use. In that time (approx. 2 min) the battery had gone from 100% to 95%. I left the phone untouched for 1 hour and powered it on briefly to check the battery life which was now down to 87% so an 8% drop in 1 hour. I then left the phone untouched over night and when I checked it 7 hours later it was down to 27% or if you like 68% drop in 8 hours equal to 8.5% an hour.

Looking at the battery usage the highest were Idle, OS, Screen and standby. The screen had already been lowered to 40% just in case but still accounted for 18% of the usage at about 17 min.

I installed GSam battery monitor to get more info and try again. So after recharging it fully and power it off and on afterwards to clear the stats, I left it untouched for 3 hours.

This resulted in a 30% loss of battery. I don

ok so i moved you to thrive forum where folks with your phone might be able to help out better.

now i have gsam app as well. if you hit the oil can icon at the bottom, you can see what apps where consuming power. also you can see if any apps were holding a wakelock on your phone. wake locks are not good as they keep the phone awake and not allowing it to sleep properly. just keep in mind that some apps are built to keep the phone awake like if you use gps.

other then that i can't explain why your phone is having battery issues. hopefully someone else here who has your phone can chime in.

Upvote 0
@ocnbrze

Thank you I actually purposefully put it in the lounge as the Thrive forum hasn’t been active in months and the 4.04 update just happened recently. I figured it would be more appropriate in the general forum.

In any case it is now 9 hours since the last charge and the phone has been mostly idle in that period. The level is now down to 18%.

Following your advice the oil can section show the Android OS at 7.7% as the highest so I doubt that is the problem. The overview, however show that screen is coming in first at 28% for 5:30 min and phone radio (still not sure what that is) come in second at 25% for 8:53:30 min.

Something is definitely not right here. I suspect something is keeping the screen active although it appears off. I have it set to 40% brightness (barely bearable) to see if it would help but it hasn’t. The timeout is set to 30 seconds but I always turn it off manually when I am done with the phone.

Do you happen to know if AT&T would be able to revert it back to 2.35? As it is now it is not usable to me because if I were to actually use the phone I would only get about 1 hour of operating time on a full charge.

ok i can move it back if you wish.

well 5.30 min is not much for screen time. mine on my phone comes in at 27.7% but i'm get better battery life because my phone is rooted.

if you click on the oil can, do you see the system wakelock? click on that and see if the system has a wakelock on it or not.

your phone radio is your 3g/4g signal. mine is coming in at 16% so yours is kind of high. are you on the internet a lot? are you on wifi when you are? are you using 4g?

Upvote 0
@ocnbrze

It can stay here for now.

I am not 100% sure I am looking at the right thing but here goes:

After clicking on the oil can I see no system wakelock but a number of processes and the percentages of CPU they use. However if I click the very top a dropdown show a number of choices including

Upvote 0
ok i moved you back to the android lounge.

but to be honest i do not have any issues with this on my phone. i do not think that it is and ICS issue. i get better battery life if i'm on wifi. fortunately where i work i use there companies wifi and when i'm home i'm home i'm also on wifi and i can stretch my battery life to almost 2 days. when i leave for work i make sure that turn off my mobile data as well as 3g and 4g are battery hogs.

so to me i think this is more about your phone then the android os.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones