• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery drained in 12 hrs (screenshots included)

Zmol

Jul 13, 2012
- I tried removing a lot of thumbnails to combat the mediaserver drain
- I removed a clock-app that constantly used around 4% cpu
- I tried removing facebook and google now or whatever their weather/intelligent widget is called
- I tried using greenify on everything i could think of.

Today i woke up to a phone that had a depleted its battery more or less overnight with just 30 minutes screen on time.
I did experience the phone lasting 2

Bettery Battery Stats, GSAM, WLD, OS Monitor, Watchdog Light......
Holy cow, maybe the phone is overloaded with monitoring programs ;-)
Just kidding.

I don't know what it means. Just had to chime in to say that's the most data I've seen posted on this type of problem.

Thanks for the sympathy, but I'm still struggling with battery life. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I have to revert to factory settings, standard samsung rom and just hope something changes? I just wish I could point to the culprit with no doubts :/

Upvote 0
You mentioned that the phone is rooted, are you using a custom ROM?. If the answer is yes, did you recently download a nightly update for that ROM?. If not a custom Rom, did you your update your regular Rom?. It could simply be a bug in the Rom, and you just need to downgrade to the last known good release. If you have done none of the above, than sorry but I no other answer for you :)

Upvote 0
#5 I use watchdog to alert me when media processes is burning my battery or any other program spending cpu power

#6 It's not the screen brightness. Sometimes my phone will just burning throuhg battery 6-10% per hour just left in my pocket/my room with no use.

#7 I don't use any rom. Just rooted to be able to use LUX to finetune the screen brightness and be able to move the google music directory to the SD back before that was an option.

Upvote 0
For me it was the fact the location was left on.
Try this and see if it works for you also.
-turn off gps
-go into settings and to your location
-toggle location to on
-when you get the Google pop-up hot disagree, (not agree)
-this will set it to use GPS only mode and location will toggle on and off like it should.
-then turn off gps

Mine was draining drastically simply because location was on all the time and never shut off. We're talking 3hrs on stock battery, and 6hrs on a 7500mah battery. This was also sitting in my pocket not touching it at all. This also happens with stock factory reset as well so I know it isn't an app installed.

Once I set it to GPS only (location off) it drains like normal.

Hope this helps, I know it works for me.

Reactions: howbizah
Upvote 0
My tmobile galaxy s4 is 1 yr and 1 month old and it lasts almost 6 hours with heavy use. I constantly use my in home wifi, stream youtube videos, high brightness either full or 3/4 of the way, and constant go back and forth between instagram & Facebook. Keep in mind, that this is with the stock battery and hasn't been replaced. So it might do better with a brand new samsung battery, or you can buy a replaceable battery from amazon.

I purchased the extended battery ANKER 7,800 MAH and its a beast of a battery It last me 2 days with heavy usage exact the same way as stated above. Id watch netflix movies , youtube movies (about 45min videos long) for 3 hours with WIFI on of course.

Upvote 0
I don't have a rooted phone, I don't trust my skills to do it properly! I was suddenly having a huge problem with my battery draining in a matter of hours. After a lot of Internet searching and trying several things the one thing that worked immediately was stopping the auto-sync on Google Play Music. If I need to sync my music, I can do that manually within the app. Just recently, I decided to turn off the auto-sync on Play Books, Play Movies & TV, and Play Newstand. Go to Settings>Accounts>Google>Account you linked Google with> and you will have access to all kinds of settings. It worked for me!

I do have a question about Ram & Task Killers. From what I've read, Android is now designed to work better without these and that using them can actually cause constant starting/stopping of an app and therefore more battery drain. Is this true?

Also, I like to use widgets but I know they use a lot of battery too. If I put them in a folder on my Home Screen will that lessen the battery drain?

Thanks to anyone who can answer my questions!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones