• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery life

one thing you should check is under battery usage select cell standby and if you have a high "time without signal" (usually around 50%) you should check out some of the fixes for that issue (see this thread) i've done this fix and if i am at work where no wifi exists and i have to use 3G it takes around 15-17 hours to get down to 30% right now i'm at 21hours 16minutes and my battery is at 75% most of that i've been at home on wifi barely using my phone (just checking a few emails)

another thing i found gave a small boost to battery is going through some of the apps that update my location and setting them to use wireless network location instead of gps... weatherbug and fancy widget don't need street level accuracy for location

you could also manually switch from 3G to 1x when the phone is idle (switch back when you go to use it) use the testing menu for this (CDMA only switches to 1x CDMA auto (PRL) switches back to 3G)

Reactions: syav
Upvote 0
I'm sorry but you are misinformed. Don't make me whip out my credentials and prove it. ;) You may be confusing LiIo with NiMH or NiCD which can benefit from deep discharge.

20% is deep discharge. Knowing batteries is part of my job, and 20% remaining charge is the very definition of deep discharge. Don't do it if you want the battery to last a year or more.

See this article at Battery University for the facts on depth of dicharge vs. cycle life. Especially the chart just a little ways down that shows that discharging to just 50% cuts battery cycle life by more than 50%!

Yes. If you want to get the maximum usable life out of the battery, shallow discharge followed by immediate recharge will make it last the longest.

I'm not sure what you're saying, but that's not "wrong". It will shorten the life of the battery however. It's capacity will degrade more quickly and it will have to be replaced sooner than if you were to only discharge it to 80% and then recharge it.
This is what I like about this forum. Most members only want to help you. Imparting knowledge that will benefit all the members. This place is so cool. Thanks for the info on how battery charging and discharging effects the life of the battery. This was a real Eye opener. I some how got the preconceived notion that was just the opposite of your explanation. The link sealed the deal as well. Thanks again

Upvote 0
I'm sorry but you are misinformed. Don't make me whip out my credentials and prove it. ;) You may be confusing LiIo with NiMH or NiCD which can benefit from deep discharge.

20% is deep discharge. Knowing batteries is part of my job, and 20% remaining charge is the very definition of deep discharge. Don't do it if you want the battery to last a year or more.

See this article at Battery University for the facts on depth of dicharge vs. cycle life. Especially the chart just a little ways down that shows that discharging to just 50% cuts battery cycle life by more than 50%!

Good article! Got anymore? Not trying to give you a hard time, just looking for add'l verification. Judging by the single BU link, charging often does seem the way to go. Only minus (if one would consider it such...ymmv) is having to constantly plug in. My lifestyle is more "on-the-go" and frequent connection to an outlet is not a viable option.

Table 2 was interesting. If you take it at face value, and assume a once-per-day charge schedule, discharging to 50% every time before recharging yields a battery life of more than 4 years. Does anyone even keep the same phone for that long? Even doing a 100% discharge every time, you still get almost 1.5 yrs on a battery.

Im new to these smartphones and thought I would have to replace the batteries every year or so anyway.

Anyway, thanks for the opinion backed up by some decent science rather than a mere opinion. Cheers!:)

Reactions: godsdragon
Upvote 0
This is also not viable for me as I am always on the go and almost never have access to an outlet to charge until I get home at night. I am a heavy texter and my web surfing varies, don't talk on the phone much but my battery is usually between 2% to 8% by the time I get home to charge it.

Just installed JiuceDefender Free so I'll see how well that works. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones