• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Battery Percentage!

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm starting to understand voodoo, but just so I can kinda put it into my own words....... themes, and mods and stuff can be installed without disabling voodoo and lagfix, but if I wanna change roms, or run an update.zip, I should disable it, so I can nandroid and install, and then re-enable it when I am done and booted up again?

So in dumbed down terms, voodoo in Dirrks kernel is kinda seperate from the kernel itself, by disabling the lagfix, I just have an uv/oc kernel that I can keep flashing roms over like normal with clockwork?
Kinda sorta. In over-simplistic terms. Voodoo enhances the Read/Write Filesystem stuff. Dirrks kernels let us OC. You can have one without the other or you can have both....:thinking:...hmmm maybe I just muddied the waters instead of clearing them

Reactions: SirKronan
Upvote 0
Believe it or not I'm understanding more and more... =) pretty much my biggest concern is between work and kids I'm usually away from my computer all day so I'm worried about installing something wrong and not having my phone until I can get home to use Odin.... so if I have it right..as long as I disable lagfix even if I install a rom and something goes wrong I can just nandroid and keep my phone working even though I don't change kernels? And again, thanks for all your help =)

Upvote 0
No you're fine. Remember you are not doing update.zip flashes you are doing install from sdcard. No worries in your case

huh...install rom from sdcard in rom manager is installing an update.zip. Now with clockwork it doesn't have to be called update.zip like the old SPrecovery, but you are still flashing an update.zip. All update.zip's are not created equal:D

Rom manager is just a nice front for clockwork.:D

Please let me know if I misinterpreted what you were saying wrong:)

Upvote 0
Believe it or not I'm understanding more and more... =) pretty much my biggest concern is between work and kids I'm usually away from my computer all day so I'm worried about installing something wrong and not having my phone until I can get home to use Odin.... so if I have it right..as long as I disable lagfix even if I install a rom and something goes wrong I can just nandroid and keep my phone working even though I don't change kernels? And again, thanks for all your help =)
Yeah you do have to disable voodoo prior to the nandroid reflash if need be necessary

Upvote 0
huh...install rom from sdcard in rom manager is installing an update.zip. Now with clockwork it doesn't have to be called update.zip like the old SPrecovery, but you are still flashing an update.zip. All update.zip's are not created equal:D

Rom manager is just a nice front for clockwork.:D

Please let me know if I misinterpreted what you were saying wrong:)
I think you did :p
starstream was asking about flashing the batteryD.zip via CWM in which case its preferable for me remind people they need to pick the option install from sdcard rather than using the phrase update.zip [even if in principle it is an update.zip] because some people then choose that option [update.zip instead of install from sdcard] and wonder why they get problems

Upvote 0
I think you did :p
starstream was asking about flashing the batteryD.zip via CWM in which case its preferable for me remind people they need to pick the option install from sdcard rather than using the phrase update.zip [even if in principle it is an update.zip] because some people then choose that option [update.zip instead of install from sdcard] and wonder why they get problems

okay I see...:D

Upvote 0
Welcome to the club now sean. You realize there's no turning back now. Soon you'll be a ROM Flashing, Kernel OCing, Voodoo freak :p

Already have Voodoo, just the basic, no OCing yet. Making sure this version is stable on my phone, and seeing how well it limits some of the lag that I was getting. Still not sure about if I want to sac battery life for more speed.

I do have the new boot animation with the droid pis*ing on apple. Love it.

Upvote 0
Already have Voodoo, just the basic, no OCing yet. Making sure this version is stable on my phone, and seeing how well it limits some of the lag that I was getting. Still not sure about if I want to sac battery life for more speed.

I do have the new boot animation with the droid pis*ing on apple. Love it.
Well do remember all Dirrk's kernels labeled LV are low voltage; 50-75mv below stock voltage. So you will actually get improved battery life despite the OC. Im running 1200LV and I venture to guess my overall daily battery life is 15-20% better than stock.

And yeah thats a great boot zip :D

Upvote 0
Well do remember all Dirrk's kernels labeled LV are low voltage; 50-75mv below stock voltage. So you will actually get improved battery life despite the OC. Im running 1200LV and I venture to guess my overall daily battery life is 15-20% better than stock.

And yeah thats a great boot zip :D

I am really liking this battery indicator. It's quite nice. I don't know why the bleep it's not stock.

And I can definitely recommend the LV 1100 now. It's a little more conservative on the OC if you're having stability issues with the 1200 LV version. Both low voltage kernals yielded both impressive battery life and impressive performance in my testing.

I ran stress tests with SetCPU and quadrant. The only one I haven't used a lot is Linpack, but Saps has ran that one quite a bit, and I know he's had great luck with the 1200 LV so far. After I have some more lockup free days with the 1100 LV, I plan to give the 1200 LV another try.

The two things I've changed are: 1. I did the OTA update and 2. I did a complete restore/wipe via Odin with the "almost" factory restore image of this phone.

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to clean out the cobwebs.

Upvote 0
Anyone know if there is something like this, but with a stock battery icon and the percentage number in the middle? I honestly dont want to use the circular icon.

The only thing I've been able to find so far is a widget. I fully understand you not wanting to stick a circle smack dab in the middle of a bunch of square, line, and rectangle shaped icons, though! You have BARS indicating your signal, and the EV/3G icon, and BT icons are both SQUARE, and the time has a horizonal (straight) look to it.

What's this bright, round circle doing here????

It's not a big eyesore to me because I have Launcher Pro hide the status bar for the ultimate clean look. :) I simply swipe up on the dock icon for my app drawer and it pulls the whole menu down for me at once. Hide it for the ultimate clean look! But I definitely feel that an unsightly circle is worth it to be able to see an actual battery percentage with a single button push from standby. The only other thing I've found that does this was a widget, that also happened to display battery temp. Useful, but you have to unlock the screen to see it.

Upvote 0
The only thing I've been able to find so far is a widget. I fully understand you not wanting to stick a circle smack dab in the middle of a bunch of square, line, and rectangle shaped icons, though! You have BARS indicating your signal, and the EV/3G icon, and BT icons are both SQUARE, and the time has a horizonal (straight) look to it.

What's this bright, round circle doing here????

It's not a big eyesore to me because I have Launcher Pro hide the status bar for the ultimate clean look. :) I simply swipe up on the dock icon for my app drawer and it pulls the whole menu down for me at once. Hide it for the ultimate clean look! But I definitely feel that an unsightly circle is worth it to be able to see an actual battery percentage with a single button push from standby. The only other thing I've found that does this was a widget, that also happened to display battery temp. Useful, but you have to unlock the screen to see it.
You summarized my thoughts pretty well. As much as i want to install this thing, I would still much rather have the stock icon with the number in the middle. I have a black status bar so it blends in well with my dark/black wallpapers, the icon would be the icing on my cake:D

Upvote 0
I wish it showed the percentage when charging too. I don't use the pattern unlock option so it sucks having to use the dialer code to see the charge level.

I thought that mine did still show a percentage number, even when plugged in ... I'll have to double check now!

You summarized my thoughts pretty well. As much as i want to install this thing, I would still much rather have the stock icon with the number in the middle. I have a black status bar so it blends in well with my dark/black wallpapers, the icon would be the icing on my cake:D

HEY!! There's a thread on XDA where folks have modded this a lot! Different color themes abound there. I would give that a look. Perhaps a black/gray one, even though round, might not bug you so much! You should see if they have one with a different skin that's confirmed to work on your phone.

Upvote 0
Anyone know if there is something like this, but with a stock battery icon and the percentage number in the middle? I honestly dont want to use the circular icon.
You all may have figured this out already in another thread (I think this mod is in a couple of themes), but yes, yes there is. It's all from the same XDA thread where we figured this stuff out...

post of mod with % in battery icon

Note that the zip there is *not* a flashable one with CWM: you have to extract and use adb or root explorer to put the framework-res.apk where it belongs.

If you want a "Version Z" style customization, go to that site, make your choices, and post up what you get here... It's easily convertible to the Fascinate.

Upvote 0
You all may have figured this out already in another thread (I think this mod is in a couple of themes), but yes, yes there is. It's all from the same XDA thread where we figured this stuff out...

post of mod with % in battery icon

Note that the zip there is *not* a flashable one with CWM: you have to extract and use adb or root explorer to put the framework-res.apk where it belongs.

If you want a "Version Z" style customization, go to that site, make your choices, and post up what you get here... It's easily convertible to the Fascinate.
Here is what I came up with, it mods the stock battery icon to have a percentage number in the middle. The battery will change colors depending on charge level. For bootanimation I chose nothing and the pull down menu for the "select ROM you use" was left as it was. If you can make this usable on the Fascinate, it would be greatly appreciated.

UOT-ZC-11-05-17-47-1.zip
http://circle.glx.nl/downloadpickup.php?data=VU9ULVpDLTExLTA1LTE3LTQ3LTEuemlw

Upvote 0
So with the above linked zip you can have the battery percent in the status bar and it can be combined with Blackmod? Just flash both? Whereas the circle battery in this thread didn't play well with Blackmod (quote below)? Deodex necessary?

looks really good, but it got rid of my BlackMod theme when I installed it :-(. I'm gona have to get rid of it. But combine them and it'll be a force to be reconed with!

Upvote 0
So with the above linked zip you can have the battery percent in the status bar and it can be combined with Blackmod? Just flash both? Whereas the circle battery in this thread didn't play well with Blackmod (quote below)? Deodex necessary?
What I did is go back to stock + root. Flash the clock .zip linked above and then applied Blackmod through metamorph after I verified the clock mod was applied. So far they work flawlessly together.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones