• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery Problems

MarioT96

Lurker
Mar 20, 2015
So, lately, I've been experiencing huge battery loss thoughout the day. When I just got my Galaxy S5, it could take whatever I threw at it and it would still have enough battery by the end of the day. Now, I cannot get though a full 100% charge each day without my phone dying. I have to use it less. The battery probably drains 10% every hour (I'm just guessing), so I have to use my phone sparingly. I use Battery Doctor and even check on my phone how much "time" I have left before my phone dies, and it always says 27 hours for a 100% charge. Uh, no. It dies quicker than that. The battery drains extremely fast when I play games, especially. I upgraded from Kitkat to Lollipop, but my battery actually lasted longer, like it was supposed to. Now, it doesn't. I think I heard that there's battery problems with Lollipop. I actually factory restored my phone after updating to Lollipop, since I forgot my password. :/
I heard that could help.

So sorry for this essay, but I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what's happening (and give me some tips :/ ). Thanks!

So, lately, I've been experiencing huge battery loss thoughout the day. When I just got my Galaxy S5, it could take whatever I threw at it and it would still have enough battery by the end of the day. Now, I cannot get though a full 100% charge each day without my phone dying. I have to use it less. The battery probably drains 10% every hour (I'm just guessing), so I have to use my phone sparingly. I use Battery Doctor and even check on my phone how much "time" I have left before my phone dies, and it always says 27 hours for a 100% charge. Uh, no. It dies quicker than that. The battery drains extremely fast when I play games, especially. I upgraded from Kitkat to Lollipop, but my battery actually lasted longer, like it was supposed to. Now, it doesn't. I think I heard that there's battery problems with Lollipop. I actually factory restored my phone after updating to Lollipop, since I forgot my password. :/
I heard that could help.

So sorry for this essay, but I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what's happening (and give me some tips :/ ). Thanks!

Hello and welcome to Android Forums MarioT96 :)

The first thing to do is to wipe the cache partition as per #1.3 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide to see if that helps. If not, one way to check what is draining your battery is to install GSam Battery Monitor from the Play Store. Now you can put your phone into Safe Mode for a few hours and see if there is anything in the stock firmware that is unduly draining your battery, see #1.4 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide. Then you can repeat the test in normal running mode for a few more hours, with all your user apps enabled and check what is draining your battery once more. This should help determine whether the problem lies with the firmware or with the user apps and settings. If a particular app is registering as a battery drainer then you can try wiping the cache and data for that app, as per #1.5 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide, or you can choose to uninstall it.

Also, there are some apps that have either not been updated or badly updated for Lollipop, in spite of developers having 9 months to do so. Some, known, battery draining apps are...

1. Facebook

2. Spotify

3. Instagram

4. Path

5. Amazon

There are more apps than this. These are just the top 5.

If you are running any of these, try wiping the cache or data or uninstalling them, as per #1.5 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide. You may also want to consider, depending on which apps are draining your battery, de-bloat your phone as per #1.9 of the previous guide. Failing all of the above, you can perform a Factory Data Rest as per post #2 of the guide as this has been shown to help a number of users, particularly those on the Verizon carrier version of Lollipop.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones