• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Battery] Statistics and Reports

Should we also collect "Battery Use" Information?

• Yes

Votes: 111 88.1%
  • No

Votes: 15 11.9%

• Total voters
HTC used a 1300mah capacity battery in the Incredible and a 1500 in the Eris......why wouldn't it be possible for a company to make a 1750mah battery in the same form factor?

I don't have a Seidio 1750, but it seems all of the bad words said about it all stem from ONE unscientific comparison using the wrong equipment.....the BatteryBoss review. In contrast, there are countless good reviews on websites, storefronts, and forums such as this one across the web.

I have both, and I can honestly say that the 1750 Seidio performs better for me, than the stock HTC battery. I am getting about 20% longer battery life with the 1750, than I had with the OEM battery. I had one in my Eris, with the same results.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much! I think it is because of RoboDefense. I played it one hour straight screen on entire time 100% cpu utilization....could that be the culprit? Display for 2 hours? If so I think 12.5 hrs is pretty darn good for the OEM battery....maybe not compared to others though idk.

Will post Seidio results tonight it's looking real good for the 1750 expectantly so. Thanks arich!

I could see that making a difference. The utilization % is only a raw wakeTime/upTime. It doesn't account for how much harder (more power) one "awake task" is verse another.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to incorporate the "app" data from everyone.

Looking forward to next set of data.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
This thread along with the other is being created for the purpose of merging all battery threads into three. It will keep the forum clean and will also serve as a one stop information collective.

This particular [Battery] thread is for Statistics and Reports on battery life and usage. It is only for factual claims and not to make things up and give false information. Please try to back up your claims using pictures or applications from the market. Let's keep things civilized.

What have I done... :)

Thanks mods. Any chance I could get you to remove the poll? It's not needed anymore.

Upvote 0
After the thread consolidation, I took a look at the tips thread (http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/75220-battery-fixes-tips.html)

There appears to be support for charging, unplugging and charging some more. In order to try to verify the effect of this, I have added a "hack:" section to the requested data.

If you want to provide hack data, please only use the exact text listed. I want to be having a uniform set of responses.

I will try to watch the tips thread and if other suggested "hacks" seem to work, I'll and them as options. We should be able to get test groups to compare hack methods.

Upvote 0
Hey Everyone, got my second set of stats (or third day as I missed yesterday) with the stock battery. Though not as impressive (I was playing robo-defense for an hour at the barber shop today) the picture is still almost the same:

UpTime: 9:53:00
AwakeTime: 4:27:48
Battery %: 8%
Wifi: Off
GPS: Off
Bluetooth: Off
Always on Mobile data: On
Sync: Weather widget every 3 hrs and push on Exchange

android sys 26%
voice calls 24%
cell standby 20%
phone idle 14%
display 8%
Robo Defense Free 3%
Dialer 3%
Mediaserver 2%

UnPlugged time: 9:43:26

So, I did a lot more talking today on the phone (like almost 2 hours) and more robo-defense than normal. The battery took a SERIOUS hit as a result. In comparison to my first night, I got nearly 2 and a half hours more awake time than I did tonight. But I wasn't using the phone as heavily.

Hope this helps the data!
-Elo

Upvote 0
Hi again :)

Batteries are charged over night with phone OFF and booting up in the morn.

This post is for the SEIDIO 1750mah battery.

- GPS OFF
- Bluetooth OFF
- 3G ON entire time (3G only NO WIFI)
- Enable always on data ON entire time
- Background data is ON entire time
- Auto-sync is ON entire time - gmail, weather, and Youmail (syncs every 2hrs and after each missed phone call)
- Auto-brightness OFF and brightness set to 40%

- 6 emails
- 44 SMS msgs
- 1hr 14min RoboDefense
- 28 minutes 18 sec of phone calls
- 15 min web browsing and 15 min youtube videos

Uptime - 12h 38m
Awake - 4h 20m
(EDIT): Battery drained down to 14% warning

Android sys: 25% - (12m 56s total cpu)
Cell standby: 23% - (12h 34m 55s)
Phone idle: 21% - (10h 9m 11s)
Voice calls: 12% - (28m 18s)
Display: 9% - (2h 26m)
RoboDefense: 6% - (1h 14m 44s total cpu)
Dialer: 4% - (1m 16s total cpu)

And here in red are yesterdays OEM Inc battery:

- 5-7 emails
- 40 SMS msgs
- 59 minutes 6 sec of RoboDefense
- 29 minutes 46 sec of phone calls

Uptime - 10h 50m
Awake - 2h 30m

Cell standby: 25% - (10h 49m 43s)
Android sys: 23% - (9m 52s total cpu)
Phone idle: 22% - (8h 52m 29s)
Voice calls: 13% - (29m 46s)
Display: 8% - (1h 57m 23s)
RoboDefense: 5% - (59m 6s total cpu)
Dialer: 4% - (58s total cpu)

I was able to duplicate the usage fairly well and I don't know what to make of the results. I do feel fairly confident that the SEIDIO packs a bigger punch and of course at 1750mah. Hope this helps! Phew now I can go back to my regular usage and get back my 20+ hrs :p

Upvote 0
I havent read this whole thread yet, but specifically signed up to post by dismal battery stats: I cant believe this.

I started at 100%. My phone was on complete standby with NO USEAGE for only 8 hrs and 35 minutes. I was sleeping this whole time. i was down to 4% battery.

GPS and Wi FI were turned on.

I was about to post the stats but the damn phone died on me. I remember it said 44% android system 44% cell phone standby. Thats all i remember before it cut off on me.

WTF!?! on standby. This is ridiculous. i will not be recommending this phone for this reason. I am a business user, so this simply cant cut it.

Upvote 0
I havent read this whole thread yet, but specifically signed up to post by dismal battery stats: I cant believe this.

I started at 100%. My phone was on complete standby with NO USEAGE for only 8 hrs and 35 minutes. I was sleeping this whole time. i was down to 4% battery.

GPS and Wi FI were turned on.

I was about to post the stats but the damn phone died on me. I remember it said 44% android system 44% cell phone standby. Thats all i remember before it cut off on me.

WTF!?! on standby. This is ridiculous. i will not be recommending this phone for this reason. I am a business user, so this simply cant cut it.

I recommend you read at least 1 to 2 posts. You will quickly see that you have a problem with your phone, and that is no where near normal. Without more data it is hard to say what the problem was, but judging by the usage it almost sounds like you had both of the main issues. Namely: Something was preventing your phone from sleeping ( Hence 44% android while not using it ) and also a high Time Without Signal ( Hence 44% cell standby ).

Both are fairly easy to check. Just turn the phone off, then back on. Press the power button to put the phone to sleep ( where the screen goes black ). Wait at least 10 mins then press the power button.

go to Menu->Settings->About Phone->Battery.

Look at your up time and awake time. They should not be close to the same. If they are, you have something keeping your phone awake. You can search these forums to try and find what is causing the issue.

Next, from the same place select Battery Use->Cell Standby.
You should see a "Time Without a Signal" ( if not, it means you are at 0% and are good to go. ) 1-9 is ok. Not great, but you probably wouldn't notice that. For 10+ you have a poor signal for some reason.

One problem that can cause a high TWOS is having the wrong radio band. Try dialing the number: *#*#4636#*#*
Select Phone Information. Press Menu->Select Radio Band. ( It will require force close, this is normal. ) Next, scroll down, and you should see where it says "GSM auto(PRL)" , change that back to CDMA auto(PRL).

Hi again :)

Batteries are charged over night with phone OFF and booting up in the morn.

This post is for the SEIDIO 1750mah battery.

- GPS OFF
- Bluetooth OFF
- 3G ON entire time (3G only NO WIFI)
- Enable always on data ON entire time
- Background data is ON entire time
- Auto-sync is ON entire time - gmail, weather, and Youmail (syncs every 2hrs and after each missed phone call)
- Auto-brightness OFF and brightness set to 40%

- 6 emails
- 44 SMS msgs
- 1hr 14min RoboDefense
- 28 minutes 18 sec of phone calls

Uptime - 12h 38m
Awake - 4h 20m

Android sys: 25% - (12m 56s total cpu)
Cell standby: 23% - (12h 34m 55s)
Phone idle: 21% - (10h 9m 11s)
Voice calls: 12% - (28m 18s)
Display: 9% - (2h 26m)
RoboDefense: 6% - (1h 14m 44s total cpu)
Dialer: 4% - (1m 16s total cpu)

And here in red are yesterdays OEM Inc battery:

- 5-7 emails
- 40 SMS msgs
- 59 minutes 6 sec of RoboDefense
- 29 minutes 46 sec of phone calls

Uptime - 10h 50m
Awake - 2h 30m

Cell standby: 25% - (10h 49m 43s)
Android sys: 23% - (9m 52s total cpu)
Phone idle: 22% - (8h 52m 29s)
Voice calls: 13% - (29m 46s)
Display: 8% - (1h 57m 23s)
RoboDefense: 5% - (59m 6s total cpu)
Dialer: 4% - (58s total cpu)

I was able to duplicate the usage fairly well and I don't know what to make of the results. I do feel fairly confident that the SEIDIO packs a bigger punch and of course at 1750mah. Hope this helps! Phew now I can go back to my regular usage and get back my 20+ hrs :p

That actually looks a bit like something kept the Seidio awake longer than it should have. Notice how your display was only on for about 2.5 hours, even though the phone was awake for 4.5 hrs.

I wonder if this not sleeping issue, is more widespread than just the 100 percent awake times. Hopefully not and it was just a fluke.

Reactions: mattwill
Upvote 0
That actually looks a bit like something kept the Seidio awake longer than it should have. Notice how your display was only on for about 2.5 hours, even though the phone was awake for 4.5 hrs.

I wonder if this not sleeping issue, is more widespread than just the 100 percent awake times. Hopefully not and it was just a fluke.

Interesting. I'm jsut enjoying the phone now wanted to do these battery tests to help out anyone it could. I'm back to my normal usage using the SEIDIO and have enjoyed the little green battery staying up at full for my first 4 hours today! :cool:

Upvote 0
Ok, I finally got around to typing everything out and uploading it for the last 2 cycles:)

The first one had a serious drop early on, probably a result of not truly having a full charge ( Charged while on, taken off when the light went green. ) and playing Robo Defense for an hour.

What time I did use it, was kinda harsh ( IE: Games ) so I have half the normal usage ratio.

8:45 PM: 9%
3.687v
Up: 23:33:59
Awake: 3:02:06
Unplugged: 23:15:36
GPS: On
Always on Mobile data: Off
Sync: 3. FB/Twitter/Gmail. 1 hour.
Hack: none
Cell Standby: 31% (TWOS: 5%)
Phone Idle: 29%
Android: 18%
Voice Calls: 13%
Display: 5%
Robo Defense: 4%
Light usage. 2 phone calls, 2 emails and 3 text.

Next was a semi-long distance run. ( Made it past 2 days with a higher awake time than previously, due to no heavy use apps. ) Switched to using WIFI at around 90%.

3:48 PM: 10%
3.701v
Up: 50:57:42
Awake: 5:09:20
Unplugged: 50:57:47
Cell Standby: 39% (TWOS 10%!)
Phone Idle: 35%
Android: 9%
Wifi: 8%
Voice Calls: 4% (31 Min.)
Display: 3%
Google Sky: 2% (3 Min.)
Light usage. Downloaded and played with Sky a little, couple text and email.

Detailed reports:
http://www.imperiuminferi.com/Incredible/Zemerick_Incredible_Battery_Test_2.txt
http://www.imperiuminferi.com/Incredible/Zemerick_Incredible_Battery_Test_3.txt

Next up I am making an actual long distance run. Using the same settings, but going to keep usage to a minimum ( Hopefully no one calls. ) I passed the 1 day unplugged right about 75% so I am looking at possibly 4 days. I did make sure to charge while off this time to get the full charge....and I am NOT going to try a full marathon run with basically everything off..that'd take forever. 4 Days is going to be really long as is, lol.

PS: Still getting some minor amount of Time Without a Signal. 0 problems during the calls I have had, but it does still have some effect on my battery so it is rather annoying. I am learning to try and keep the bottom of the phone clear as much as possible ( that's the location for the antenna. )

Upvote 0
Ok, I finally got around to typing everything out and uploading it for the last 2 cycles:)

The first one had a serious drop early on, probably a result of not truly having a full charge ( Charged while on, taken off when the light went green. ) and playing Robo Defense for an hour.

What time I did use it, was kinda harsh ( IE: Games ) so I have half the normal usage ratio.

3.687v

Next was a semi-long distance run. ( Made it past 2 days with a higher awake time than previously, due to no heavy use apps. ) Switched to using WIFI at around 90%.

3.701v

Detailed reports:

Next up I am making an actual long distance run. Using the same settings, but going to keep usage to a minimum ( Hopefully no one calls. ) I passed the 1 day unplugged right about 75% so I am looking at possibly 4 days. I did make sure to charge while off this time to get the full charge....and I am NOT going to try a full marathon run with basically everything off..that'd take forever. 4 Days is going to be really long as is, lol.

PS: Still getting some minor amount of Time Without a Signal. 0 problems during the calls I have had, but it does still have some effect on my battery so it is rather annoying. I am learning to try and keep the bottom of the phone clear as much as possible ( that's the location for the antenna. )

great results your getting fun to watch and see what everyone is doing and how much they are getting!

Upvote 0
Please note:
My results from #129 were with a 1500 mAh TP2 Battery

These results are with the stock 1300 mAh battery.
UpTime: 13:04:27
AwakeTime: 3:37:20
UnPlugged time: 13:04:27
Battery %: 14%
Sync: 4 (Exchange, FB for Sense, Google, Weather)

Unplugged time:
Android Sys: 33% (Cpu 17:19) (CPU F 18s)
Cell Stby: 26% (13:4:26) 0% no sig
Phone Idle: 20% (10:6:41)
Maps: 12%
Display: 9% (2:57:54)

Upvote 0
Please note:
My results from #129 were with a 1500 mAh TP2 Battery

These results are with the stock 1300 mAh battery.
UpTime: 13:04:27
AwakeTime: 3:37:20
UnPlugged time: 13:04:27
Battery %: 14%
Sync: 4 (Exchange, FB for Sense, Google, Weather)

Unplugged time:
Android Sys: 33% (Cpu 17:19) (CPU F 18s)
Cell Stby: 26% (13:4:26) 0% no sig
Phone Idle: 20% (10:6:41)
Maps: 12%
Display: 9% (2:57:54)

Thanks for clarifying.

Added new data also.

Upvote 0

3.687v

3.701v

Detailed reports:

I am sorry but I have a quick question....although I looked through your previous posts...but I couldn't find which battery you used for your test that you just posted?
sorry if I am blind;)......I was just curious.....I tried to follow this thread to compare to my stats...
Thank you:)

Upvote 0
great results your getting fun to watch and see what everyone is doing and how much they are getting!

Thanks:) I'm trying to keep things varied and really figure out the ups and downs of this battery and the Inc. I'm also trying to be thorough which is kinda interesting in and of itself. If you check every single thing, say every half hour...youll end up with a very high awake time, and kill your battery. So, I'm trying to find the best balance with frequency of checks and amount of different information checked.

However: This next one will not have this detailed info because I am trying to go for as extended of time as possible.

I am sorry but I have a quick question....although I looked through your previous posts...but I couldn't find which battery you used for your test that you just posted?
sorry if I am blind;)......I was just curious.....I tried to follow this thread to compare to my stats...
Thank you:)

Stock battery. 1300 mAh. I'm waiting for the 2150, ntm I joined this thread with the main intent of seeing just what the stock can do.

Reactions: emmalina
Upvote 0
Thanks:) I'm trying to keep things varied and really figure out the ups and downs of this battery and the Inc. I'm also trying to be thorough which is kinda interesting in and of itself. If you check every single thing, say every half hour...youll end up with a very high awake time, and kill your battery. So, I'm trying to find the best balance with frequency of checks and amount of different information checked.

However: This next one will not have this detailed info because I am trying to go for as extended of time as possible.

Stock battery. 1300 mAh. I'm waiting for the 2150, ntm I joined this thread with the main intent of seeing just what the stock can do.

one of the reasons I was asking, was because my data looks very similar to your first one.......comparing up and awake time...and the things you have done...
but I am very puzzled how you got 50 hrs? I am talking about your 2nd set of data?
I mean don't get me wrong...I am happy with 24hrs+ but 50? wow...what did you do different?...I didn't see it?...did you do the whole "full charge. plug in turn off thing"....less use? or because you switched to wifi?:cool::thinking: please explain..thank you zemerick:)

Upvote 0
one of the reasons I was asking, was because my data looks very similar to your first one.......comparing up and awake time...and the things you have done...
but I am very puzzled how you got 50 hrs? I am talking about your 2nd set of data?
I mean don't get me wrong...I am happy with 24hrs+ but 50? wow...what did you do different?...I didn't see it?...did you do the whole "full charge. plug in turn off thing"....less use? or because you switched to wifi?:cool::thinking: please explain..thank you zemerick:)

Combination of less use, avoiding high usage apps ( like games, video, camera, etc. ) and also the Wifi has helped. Oh, and remember that the second one was long enough for me to go to sleep twice through it..which adds a lot to the up time without affecting battery much.

First 1 had 3 phone calls, and 1.5 hrs of gaming. The second had 1 30 min phone call, and only 20 mins of gaming.

Usage is by far the biggest factor in battery life:)

Upvote 0
oh and a few more questions...did you turn your phone off when charging?unplugged it right after being charged or did you charge it over night and just let it sit on charger?
thank you!...sorry for so many questions....but I am coming from a BB and I just plugged it in the charger when I went to bed and unplugged it in the morning...lol...probably killing by battery along the way!
This phones does so much more and I would like to get the best out of this battery and "treat" it right ;o)

Upvote 0
Combination of less use, avoiding high usage apps ( like games, video, camera, etc. ) and also the Wifi has helped. Oh, and remember that the second one was long enough for me to go to sleep twice through it..which adds a lot to the up time without affecting battery much.

First 1 had 3 phone calls, and 1.5 hrs of gaming. The second had 1 30 min phone call, and only 20 mins of gaming.

Usage is by far the biggest factor in battery life:)

thank you for answering this...I wrote my other "set" of questions while you answered:D
I agree it is a big factor...I found that out when I started to monitor this...
I was so excited to get 24hrs+...for the first time yesterday:eek:.....of course a few hrs of no usage due to sleeping but still.....to me a huge improvement to lasting only half a day in the beginning....
I hope I get to 50hrs eventually....lol I am not a heavy user (games)....but it's could to know you "could" be!
could you pls answer the "charging questions" I had?.....thank you in advance...won't bug you anymore afterward:D

Upvote 0
oh and a few more questions...did you turn your phone off when charging?unplugged it right after being charged or did you charge it over night and just let it sit on charger?
thank you!...sorry for so many questions....but I am coming from a BB and I just plugged it in the charger when I went to bed and unplugged it in the morning...lol...probably killing by battery along the way!
This phones does so much more and I would like to get the best out of this battery and "treat" it right ;o)

Not for those 2 tests, no. I ran into that after charging back up to prepare for the long run I'm giving it now.

For ideal charging of your battery, try to start charging around 30 percent, then take it off around 90 ( When it goes green while on. ) and try not to actually use it while it is on the charger. If you can get into a nice habit that will see about 24 hours of life from that 30-90 then you can charge it in the evening, so that you take it off the charger just before going to bed. That'll keep your battery going as long as possible.

thank you for answering this...I wrote my other "set" of questions while you answered:D
I agree it is a big factor...I found that out when I started to monitor this...
I was so excited to get 24hrs+...for the first time yesterday:eek:.....of course a few hrs of no usage due to sleeping but still.....to me a huge improvement to lasting only half a day in the beginning....
I hope I get to 50hrs eventually....lol I am not a heavy user (games)....but it's could to know you "could" be!
could you pls answer the "charging questions" I had?.....thank you in advance...won't bug you anymore afterward:D

No problem, keep asking away:) I find it fun trying to work problems out, and helping other people.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
here is my data for the day:
i plugged in my phone overnight last night and started out my day at 8 am.
i just plugged it in again when it was at 14% (according to the Battery Indicator app)

Cell standby 24%
phone idle 21%
Android System 21%
Maps 14%
Display 8%
Wi-Fi 5%
Voice Calls 3%
Layar 2%
Camera 2%
"while last unplugged for 12h 33m 9s"

i hope this info helps with the data collection.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones