• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Before I buy - Battery Life?

Cant comment on HC, but GB gets through a long day easily. The only days it doesnt are when I am playing games non stop for hours on end. But really 10AM-2AM its still usually at 30 percent or so.

I actually opted for this over a new phone (Evo, Epic, etc) since phones batteries are weak and when I need my phone, I want there to be battery. Between the NC and my phone, I always have battery when needed.

Upvote 0
Battery life has been reported fairly wonky when it comes to the 2.2 build, as well as the CM7 build. I have heard there is a great improvement with Honeycomb. The stock battery life will NET you between, 8-10 hours, and if you use conservatively much more.

I personally have had GB and 2.2 on the device and battery life hasn't been a huge concern. For the price of the NC, and the ease of loading these awesome ROMS, personally I believe it is worth getting.

Upvote 0
NC CM7 battery life from using it for the past 2 week.

1. If you do heavy internet browsing like I do, which involve using the NC to watch alot of flash videos, you can get slightly more then 6 hour of continuous video over wifi via flash player.
2. If you are using the NC to just surf regular websites, you can get about 7.5 hours.
3. To read books with wifi on, you get about 8 hours.
4. When unplugged from the charger while NC is in sleep mode (screen off) it loses 2% battery life per hour (there is a bug in CM7 that is causing this), stock root or Nookie Froyo 0.68 have 10 time better stand by battery life, but not as fast during regular usage.

I hope this help you to make your decision.

Reactions: gsutton
Upvote 0
I'd run CM7 until a good stable Honeycomb comes :)

Also, another question. My mom would probably want this thing to actually read a lot of e-books. Does it still retain the natural e-reading capabilities and run great as one even rooted and rommed?

Depends, if you just want to read free books like Google books then cm7 will work fine. However cm7 does not have the ability to read B&N purchases ebooks, even through the B&N store app. If you want to retain that ability, then just root the NC, but stay with the stock rom. The cool things is the stock NC froyo update is about to be released in less then a month. Might even be alot sooner :)

Upvote 0
Depends, if you just want to read free books like Google books then cm7 will work fine. However cm7 does not have the ability to read B&N purchases ebooks, even through the B&N store app. If you want to retain that ability, then just root the NC, but stay with the stock rom. The cool things is the stock NC froyo update is about to be released in less then a month. Might even be alot sooner :)

Thank you. That is a BIG piece of info I needed about the B&N purchases. My mom wants one for an e-reader, I want one for a tablet lol. I guess I'll just wait for the official Froyo update. Saw that on Engadget today :)

Upvote 0
There is a workaround for the e-books thing, which I do routinely, as I hate being restricted to one company's ecosystem... remove the DRM from any books you buy. I buy books from Amazon, B&N, Sony store using their various apps on my PC. I then strip off the DRM using very simple Python scripts available freely on the internet (google "remove DRM from Kindle epub" for example) and use Calibre to convert them all into epubs if they are not already. I can then load them onto my reader of choice, which is currently a Sony, and read them.

You should be able to do exactly the same, and load them onto your NC, and read them with Aldiko, Moon+ or your ebook reader of choice. There is some loss of pure convenience but it is not serious - it takes me about 2-3 mins from download on PC to reading on ereader, and de-drm, import to calibre, conversion, and upload to ebook are all batch processes so it really takes very little time. And it means that you can buy books not just from B&N but ANY online store (better availability, better price) and read them in the format and on the device that YOU want to. You'll also never be held hostage to the seller going bust, changing formats, etc, and can share your books with your mum like you would a normal book.

There is a bit of a learning curve to the above, but its well worth the effort (and its less technical than getting your Nook in good shape!

Upvote 0
Looking at buying the nook color and using it more so for a portfolio to show off my pics to clients. Wondering are there any problems doing this. How hard is it to transfer jpegs?

Easy to do. Just connect to computer and drag and drop into NC. Otherwise if rooted can sync up to Picasa web, use dropbox, or a few other ways as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones