• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help being nagged to update S4 to Kitkat

The only way to not get nagged without root is to disable auto update check before updates even arrive. For example on my brother's S3. The update to 4.3 has been available for it for months now (a friend of mine who got her device from the same carrier had hers updated last year) but it never nagged him. A couple of minutes after I turned on autocheck, I was alerted of an update for the S3.

Thanks, I'll make sure to do this :p

I check on Bell's website if the update is out or not any ways, so nothing to worry about.

Upvote 0
If you are already getting the notification you will have to root in order to disable it. ChanChan may be referring to tablets which use Samsung Software Update to do the update process, which i have done on all of my devices ahead of time. Problem with the S4 is, Verizon has an app of their own that notified me, called 'sdm.apk' and that isnt allowing me to disable. In settings, under 'sdm' notifications and 'turn off' were greyed out, forcing me to root in order to disable it. On other carriers that might vary.

Upvote 0
If you are already getting the notification you will have to root in order to disable it. ChanChan may be referring to tablets which use Samsung Software Update to do the update process, which i have done on all of my devices ahead of time. Problem with the S4 is, Verizon has an app of their own that notified me, called 'sdm.apk' and that isnt allowing me to disable. In settings, under 'sdm' notifications and 'turn off' were greyed out, forcing me to root in order to disable it. On other carriers that might vary.

I haven't recieved any sort of notification yet (my carrier doesn't have it yet, I checked the website) I'll be sure to disable the "check for updates" thing tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Ah, that's US carriers for you.

Upvote 0
I had disabled Samsung Software Update long time ago on my Note, and have not been bugged to update it, even though KitKat is also out for it. I also had that disabled in the S4 but was unaware Verizon snuck an updater of their own in there. In fact, the one on the phone who outright refused to believe someone would ever deny an update and kept insisting it was the best thing since sliced bread was Verizon's upper level elevated support.

Upvote 0
Yes, well I knew that I should have disabled auto update. And that 2 week thing? Forget it. After my i337 d/l the update yesterday around noon and then began to nag me about it, my phone auto-updated all by itself at 2:15AM this morning... waking me with the reboot salute and a bright white screen.

I had been thinking about this update for some time... and was planning to do a FDR and then do the update, just to insure a clean update. While I'm not rooted, I do have a lot of apps installed and use Nova Prime.

That being said, the update appears to have completed painlessly and I really can't tell any difference compared to JB 4.3.

This uninvited update does increase my interest in learning how to root, just so I have some options next time. Yeah, I know. I can always switch off auto-update. But the root thing has held my interest for a long time, being the geeky type that I am. I've just never spent the time to learn anything about the process. Yet.

Upvote 0
It doesnt appear from the getgo to have changed until you see the lock screen, ripped right from iOS 7, including the camera icon. Music controls/widget on lock screen have hideous full-screen blurry album art and flat buttons. The Samsung Music widget, to me, beautiful and had real looking buttons and didnt take the entire screen up, was better.

Kitkat has boring white icons, phone has less reception, lags, and updates most apps as well. This just from looking at the updated S4 the boss has. Music volume is too low when maxed out as of 4.4.2. S Health update tossed out the skeuomorphisms and most sounds, removed the nature UI in Health Board...there is this weird 'wavy letter N' icon stuck in his notification bar as well...

Just confirms my worries and glad i never updated as there is zero downgrade option if it breaks things.

Upvote 0
I don't see all those changes you mention, perhaps because of my custom lockscreen and my use of Nova Prime. The update didn't change any of that. At least not that I've found yet. Yes, the notification icons are all white now. Not a fan of that, but in the scheme of things, a minor nit.

I don't see that wavy letter N icon either. That must be from an app your boss installed.
*Edit: I know what that N icon is... NFC. I don't have it enabled on my GS4.

Thus far, the upgrade is a total non-event. I haven't noticed any change in phone reception or lag in use either. Really, I've noticed no difference in any of my operations at all. Thus far.

BTW, I agree with you that I prefer skeuomorphism over flat design.

Example:
Xla2vXb.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones