• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bell Galaxy S Users, Do Not Update to Froyo!

wpbarry

Lurker
Dec 13, 2010
Hi All,

I've been reading this android forum over the past few months but have now become a member to relay an important message.

Do Not Update to Froyo yet!! After learning that 2.2 was finally available for the Galaxy S, I connected the phone and opened that god-awful garbage known as Kies and just as it was nearly finished I received an error message informing me that the connection had been interrupted.

I now have this black screen with nothing but a small white phone logo, and small white computer logo with a broken connection b/w them and a little orange warning sign. Called samsung's "support" line and they advised that there is currently a problem with Kies and Froyo. Couldn't do a hard reset on the phone either so the rep informed me that I would need to send it off to the repair depot 3 provinces down for at least a week.

So, all in all...I would definitely hold off if possible and confirm with Bell or Samsung that this update is truly ready to go without turning your phone into a $600 paperweight.

Cheers,

Barry

Hi All,

I've been reading this android forum over the past few months but have now become a member to relay an important message.

Do Not Update to Froyo yet!! After learning that 2.2 was finally available for the Galaxy S, I connected the phone and opened that god-awful garbage known as Kies and just as it was nearly finished I received an error message informing me that the connection had been interrupted.

I now have this black screen with nothing but a small white phone logo, and small white computer logo with a broken connection b/w them and a little orange warning sign. Called samsung's "support" line and they advised that there is currently a problem with Kies and Froyo. Couldn't do a hard reset on the phone either so the rep informed me that I would need to send it off to the repair depot 3 provinces down for at least a week.

So, all in all...I would definitely hold off if possible and confirm with Bell or Samsung that this update is truly ready to go without turning your phone into a $600 paperweight.

Cheers,

Barry

sorry to hear...I updated this morning and it was quick and smooth. Did you have a task killer program running by chance?

Upvote 0
Can you get your phone into "download" mode via "down volume,home & power button"? If so all is not lost. Even if the techies at Bell say so. They usually don't know very much about their product. If you can get into download mode you should be able to flash via Odin.

- Jeff

Hi All,

Cheers,

Barry

Upvote 0
So, I upgraded to Froyo last night (Galaxy S with Bell). and everything was just peachy. I noticed the device was warmer than usual. When I got up this morning, it was still warm, so I turned it off and let it cool down. Once I turned it back on, none of the apps worked. So I gave it a reboot, and since then, the phone has not turned back on. I see the nice looking boot up logo, then it has the screen where you see the big S and the Galaxy s wording at the bottom. Before it finishes the bootup process, it hangs for a second, and then shuts off.

I've let it sit, pulled the battery and let it sit. Every time I reboot it, I get the same issue.

Need some advise.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I have been trying to fix this for the past 6 hours to no avail. 3 button recovery is disabled, except for the (vol -, power, and home button = download screen) is fine. I tried using that to my advantage to flash with odin with some custom roms, but nothing. I'm going to bed now, and go to bell to service this piece of crap first thing after i wake up. Seems like we got a pretty bad batch of frozen yogurt. *sigh*

Upvote 0
Ok Guys i have the same issue as most of the people with the phone in constant reboot. The operating system either doesn't install fully with kies or after it does install random events will trigger the phone os to malfunction because of app issues. It basically bricks the os and removes the September release update to fix the 3 button recovery. Called Samsung they said its not the phone its bells fault with the os they built. Called bell they said they will replace the phone but go to a service center or corporate store. did that and they will give you the runaround gotta pay a deposit for repair, gotta pay for a loaner, we cannot replace it... blaahh blahhh. you will most likely end up walking out with a shitty ass flip phone from 2004 like me because i need to make calls.

Basically get ripped off... But Call bell customer service and complain and you will get all your money back and a monthly credit. The guy also told me i should NOT have payed for a loaner as my phone is more expensive than any other phone they have.
ODIN Does not solve this issue... tried and failed!!!

Bell Knows there is an issue so watch out... phone is a time bomb waiting to mess up!!!

Upvote 0
"I have been trying to fix this for the past 6 hours to no avail. 3 button recovery is disabled, except for the (vol -, power, and home button = download screen) is fine."

Update: Out of sheer stubborness I tried to get my phone up and running again and googled the method above. It worked for me and got the phone back into download mode (no thanks to Samsung or Bell)....still couldn't do anything with the phone, but at least my computer acknowledged that something was plugged into the usb.

Then, Kies attempted to connect to the phone but was not successful, it just sat there with the "connecting device" bar going back and forth for 10 minutes, then gave up. The solution, for me anyway, was to connect the phone, then close down Kies and start it up again...Kies still attempted to connect but never really gave me the same confirmation that it connected....it did however advise me that I needed to do a firmware recovery....which I did and voila!...I'm back in business with 2.2.

To sum up....if you were having the issue that I was having, get your phone into download mode if you can (press volume down, home, power all together for at least 10 seconds until the download screen boots up), then connect to your computer and launch (or close and relaunch) Kies and go through the recovery. Hopefully it works out as well as it did for me.

Cheers

Upvote 0
"I have been trying to fix this for the past 6 hours to no avail. 3 button recovery is disabled, except for the (vol -, power, and home button = download screen) is fine."

Update: Out of sheer stubborness I tried to get my phone up and running again and googled the method above. It worked for me and got the phone back into download mode (no thanks to Samsung or Bell)....still couldn't do anything with the phone, but at least my computer acknowledged that something was plugged into the usb.

Then, Kies attempted to connect to the phone but was not successful, it just sat there with the "connecting device" bar going back and forth for 10 minutes, then gave up. The solution, for me anyway, was to connect the phone, then close down Kies and start it up again...Kies still attempted to connect but never really gave me the same confirmation that it connected....it did however advise me that I needed to do a firmware recovery....which I did and voila!...I'm back in business with 2.2.

To sum up....if you were having the issue that I was having, get your phone into download mode if you can (press volume down, home, power all together for at least 10 seconds until the download screen boots up), then connect to your computer and launch (or close and relaunch) Kies and go through the recovery. Hopefully it works out as well as it did for me.

Cheers

For Real?! Kies actually have its uses? To think I sent my device out for repair already!!! Arrrrgh!! FML!! Guess it will be a good tip for future use.

Upvote 0

You know of course that the above IS the three button recovery. If you can get into that mode, then the phone is NOT bricked. Go to XDA to find out how to recover from a failed firmware upgrade that still allows you to get into download mode.

- Jeff

Upvote 0
My father and I own the Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant. When Froyo was available for Bell customers, we both upgraded immediately. Within 24 hrs, my father's phone was dead and within 4 days mine was also. We both had the Galaxy logo flashing, and there was nothing to be done.

It appears Bell didn't test Froyo properly on their Vibrant and the resulting customer service was very frustrating. Bell World wanted to charge me $35 to send the phone for repair (I fought this and got it waved). It turns out that I must pay $25 for a replacement phone, regardless of whether it's my fault or not that the phone is broken. I chose not to get the replacement phone thinking I would just suspend my monthly payments and wait out the 4-6 weeks for the repair. When I called Bell the next day to suspend my payments, they informed me this was not possible. I was given ridiculous prepackaged responses such as:

1) "Even if your phone breaks, you must pay the monthly charge because it's in your contract". This is regardless of who is at fault for breaking the phone!

2) "You had a choice and refused the option of accepting a replacement phone". I was told the replacement would be $25, and if I had broken the phone I would have paid this fee. But since Bell was responsible for the problem I don't think I would need to pay for a replacement phone. Bell should be happy to remedy the problem they have caused.

3) "We are not responsible for what the stores charge as repair fees and replacement phones". I can't understand how Bell could not be responsible for the fees charged at BELL world.

4) I was offered to suspend my phone services for $40, but I might as well pay the $25 for the replacement phone instead, and use the services I'm already paying for.

Regardless of the contract wording, Bell should still be held accountable for their negligence in releasing firmware without appropriate testing.

Upvote 0

Cheers

Hey my phone just started having the problem of being frozen at the boot screen, I am trying to do what u did to fix it but am not having any success, I am in download mode but Kies just keep connecting and then it gives up by itself after a while and Klies shows nothing.

EDIT: Actually it comes up "No response from the device, please reset the device to solve this problem"

HELP!

Upvote 0
i had the exact problem, mine is going to be repaired, wait time of 3 to 6 weeks.

when the firmware was about to update in kies, my phone's usb connection was terminated (showed in a graphic on the kies main page), and then the update just hanged the phone after a disconnect and next power up.

couldn't do a firmware recovery because the phone wasn't showing up as connected, as stated above.

i couldn't get the volume up+down + power trick to work either.

i want flash on my samsung galaxy s, so i'll hold off for a while until i hear more about this problem.

Hi All,

Cheers,

Barry

Upvote 0
Hey my phone just started having the problem of being frozen at the boot screen, I am trying to do what u did to fix it but am not having any success, I am in download mode but Kies just keep connecting and then it gives up by itself after a while and Klies shows nothing.

EDIT: Actually it comes up "No response from the device, please reset the device to solve this problem"

HELP!

Have you tried closing and relaunching Kies? That's what did it for me.

Upvote 0
I had a lot of issues after updating to froyo through kies. Im with Virgin Mobile Canada. (Kies was working fine on my Windows7 PC but not my Vista laptop tho).

Browser became really laggy, facebook wouldnt let me log in, when i change the orientation of the phone the screen doesnt rotate were the biggest issues.

I did a factory reset: Settings > Privacy > Factory Data Reset. When the phone restarted everything was perfect. I am now happily running Froyo on my Galaxy S Vibrant :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones