• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bell Galaxy S Users, Do Not Update to Froyo!

My 2 week old Galaxy S is dead now too

Updated to Froyo on Sunday the 12th and 4 days later its dead and Bother Future shop where i got it and Bell will not replace their faulty phone I am very frustrated!

mine just goes tot first boot screen then turns off then back on then back off etc...

i accidentally had found out how to get the Downloading screen on this morning so am gonna see if Kies can restore the phone from that screen since this is the longest it has stayed on since since the break 24 hours ago.

Bell needs to address this and take ownership of their faulty product, it is very disheartening to get told from Future shop sorry its past the 14 day return window (it was 16 days) and to go to Bell and Bell wants to charge me $35 to send in this phone and pay a $300 deposit on a loaner while I wait 3-6 weeks for my phone to get repaired. so now I am stuck in this downloading screen and will boot to windows (i use a mac) and try kies wish me all luck

Upvote 0
Mine is sent away.... 4-6 weeks is the frame they gave me, the damn phone is only 4 months old, I was at the Bell store I used to work at, they said they havent even recieved emails or information or anything about this problem from the Bell main office or district managers. Why has Bell not made this problem known to everyone? why is it still on Kies even?

damn, heres my question, my phone successfully updated to 2.2 without and problem and it worked fine for a week before it died, when Bell recieves the phone and 'fixes' it, will they return it with 2.2 still on? wouldnt that be pointless? i dunno... just frustrated

Upvote 0
Listen guys, Bell knows all about this problem and so does the Bell World stores. They are known to lie at their stores while keeping a straight face. Hell, some of them still try to claim that the Government is the reason for the "network access fee". The government hasn't charged this in over 3 years. I have never ever seen a Bell employee admit to any problems with anything. Their policy is deny, deny, deny.

I bought my Galaxy S at Baka. They said that Bell was aware of the problem. This is my third dead Galaxy S in two months. Baka isn't charging me anything for returning it for repairs and gave me a free loaner phone. They are trying to get Bell to get me a new phone instead of repairing the old one.

Good luck,

- Jeff

Upvote 0
This isn't a problem with the 2.2, the phone has a design issue. Updating might hasten the certain death of the internal SD but it can and will happen to those that haven't updated yet. Mine died the night before the 2.2 update and that was the 2nd time. If I get the same or similar phone back from repair it will just happen again.
Those still on 2.1 try some HD video recording without an external SD card and see how long it lasts. poof..

Reactions: mactek
Upvote 0
If download/recovery mode doesn't work then take it back, you'll get stuck sooner or later. I still think it was a carrier decision but they've decided to now call it a bug so no matter, get it fixed. If you get stuck and can't take it back for some reason then a 301K resistor across pins 4-5 of the USB will boot it to download mode. ;)

Upvote 0
"I have been trying to fix this for the past 6 hours to no avail. 3 button recovery is disabled, except for the (vol -, power, and home button = download screen) is fine."

Update: Out of sheer stubborness I tried to get my phone up and running again and googled the method above. It worked for me and got the phone back into download mode (no thanks to Samsung or Bell)....still couldn't do anything with the phone, but at least my computer acknowledged that something was plugged into the usb.

Then, Kies attempted to connect to the phone but was not successful, it just sat there with the "connecting device" bar going back and forth for 10 minutes, then gave up. The solution, for me anyway, was to connect the phone, then close down Kies and start it up again...Kies still attempted to connect but never really gave me the same confirmation that it connected....it did however advise me that I needed to do a firmware recovery....which I did and voila!...I'm back in business with 2.2.

To sum up....if you were having the issue that I was having, get your phone into download mode if you can (press volume down, home, power all together for at least 10 seconds until the download screen boots up), then connect to your computer and launch (or close and relaunch) Kies and go through the recovery. Hopefully it works out as well as it did for me.

Cheers

Ohhhhhhh S*!@... I already sent mine out for repair dammit

Upvote 0
i just got my galaxy s from bell and the first time i plugged into kies, i updated to 2.2 with little problem and it's probably been a week since then. hoping my phone isn't headed to the brick factory also. i'm not using it too much right now; it's supposed to be a christmas gift but i'm trying to get it set up to replace my ipod touch. fingers and toes crossed hoping for no problems.

Upvote 0
Sad to say, had to have my two week old Vibrant replaced on Saturday. I almost posted in this thread Friday afternoon that I'd had the official Bell Froyo for a week and was loving it...

At least the agent at Wireless Wave was great and my DOA replacement went without a hitch.

Blizy - I'd suggest you go ahead and use it as much as possible while the phone is new, just in case you do have a problem...

Reactions: blizy
Upvote 0
Update: 2.2 was working fine until a couple days ago. Android Market will not open and will just give me the following error message:

"A network error has occurred. Retry, or cancel and return to previous screen"

On top of that, Kobo ereader and youtube force close immediately after launching and my internal SD card was wiped. My internet browser still works though and other apps that use data still work fine.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Update: 2.2 was working fine until a couple days ago. Android Market will not open and will just give me the following error message:

"A network error has occurred. Retry, or cancel and return to previous screen"

On top of that, Kobo ereader and youtube force close immediately after launching and my internal SD card was wiped. My internet browser still works though and other apps that use data still work fine.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

SD card failure. As good as a brick. Take it back and get in line with the thousands of others waiting many weeks to get it fixed.

Upvote 0
I called Bell technical support (1-877-328-2123) basically to see if I could get further info on this whole 2.2 JK4 thing since my phone is still living as as this instant. The rep said they had gotten a notice that there is a known issue with the 2.2 upgrade causing failures; he said this notice came out this morning. He didn't know whether it was hardware or software related as nothing was indicated in the notice. They are taking phones and fixing/replacing them with the same model if you call with this issue; I was a little unsure on this fixing/replacing statement because there was a bit of a language barrier:rolleyes:. Anyway since my phone was still functioning it was more hypothetical questions I was asking. He also offered to allow me to switch my phone with another smartphone and carry on with my contract. I just signed a contract 2 weeks ago so don't know how far they will extend this offer backwards. I said I want my Galaxy to continue working and will hold for now. Oh and they also said if my phone fails and I send for fixing/replacing they will apply a $100 credit to my bill for the inconvenience. Anyway I think that's all the info I got. I'm just passing along what I was told so take that with the proverbial grain of salt.
:D

Upvote 0
I agree with the OP, and usually I am the last to install an upgrade, happily letting everyone else work out the bugs, but whoda thought a .1 update would be such a big problem?

The upgrade to 2.2 worked until yesterday. I get the boot logo looping, and the 'downloading' screen, but no further.

Just dropped mine off at the Bell store. They only had a most basic Nokia phone as a loaner so I had them activate my old Touch, which they confirmed should work with the UMB part of my Fun15 package.

I only had the "I shoulda bought an iph*ne 4" feeling for a few minutes....

Upvote 0
Can you get your phone into "download" mode via "down volume,home & power button"? If so all is not lost. Even if the techies at Bell say so. They usually don't know very much about their product. If you can get into download mode you should be able to flash via Odin.

- Jeff
i'm not very sure bout it anyway can i had a ans from samsung user 2.1 update-1 is that possible to update to 2.2 ???

Upvote 0
So, I upgraded to Froyo last night (Galaxy S with Bell). and everything was just peachy. I noticed the device was warmer than usual. When I got up this morning, it was still warm, so I turned it off and let it cool down. Once I turned it back on, none of the apps worked. So I gave it a reboot, and since then, the phone has not turned back on. I see the nice looking boot up logo, then it has the screen where you see the big S and the Galaxy s wording at the bottom. Before it finishes the bootup process, it hangs for a second, and then shuts off.

I've let it sit, pulled the battery and let it sit. Every time I reboot it, I get the same issue.

Need some advise.

Thanks.

Damn that's scarry lol

Upvote 0
So Bell re-released the 2.2 update... has Samsung or Bell made an official announcement about this? It has only been 2 days apparently since the re-release so I still wouldnt trust updating it.

I got confirmation from bell that its a new (fixed) version and have been running it since last Monday without a single issue. Time will tell but so far so good.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, i posted on the bell part of the forums about this- I had the same problem with my first phone. And I'm sitting here, staring at the new phone and I swear I can hear the 'tick tick tick' of the timebomb, waiting to go off when my 14 day refund is up. So I'm wondering, should I take it back to the store and get something else although there really isn't anything out there on par with the sgs?

Upvote 0
Hey guys, i posted on the bell part of the forums about this- I had the same problem with my first phone. And I'm sitting here, staring at the new phone and I swear I can hear the 'tick tick tick' of the timebomb, waiting to go off when my 14 day refund is up. So I'm wondering, should I take it back to the store and get something else although there really isn't anything out there on par with the sgs?

Bell has nothing on par yet (imo) and you have a 1yr warranty if something would happen. I would keep it, I'm extremely happy with mine so far and I bought back in August on release day.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones