Benefits of rooting?

Last Updated:

1. Trauma

Trauma Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Never rooted before, what are the pros/cons?

Advertisement
  2. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

apply themes, run apps needing root access, wireless tether to name just a few.

there are no cons for me.

3. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

The con is the learning curve.

If you go farther than just rooting, you'll need to learn how to work the RSD Lite program with runs the sbd (system restore). This way, if the phone "bricks" (gets stuck booting or can't boot through so you can use it) you can always restore it.

You have to learn how to make backup so you can restore files if you mess up. You can learn how to install custom roms and themes. You can learn how to install custom boot animations. I have about four. :)

If you don't want to go that far and simply want root access, you can wireless tether without paying verizon the 20 dollars or so extra per month to do so. You can get access to files that you may not want (bloat) and disable them so they don't slow down the system. Etc.

If you're up for the adventure, I'd root. I did. The folks here (including myself, now) are patient and will talk you through stuff.

Steven

4. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

Pro's... you get to use wireless tether for free and stick your middle finger up at both Verizon and Motorola.

Con's... if you screw up and brick your phone Verizon will stick their middle finger up at you and say, "you voided your warrantee by rooting".

I'm rooted btw.