• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best anti-virus

I would generally expect that the burden of proof lies with the one claiming something DOES work or exist.

So if I walked up to you and said that seatbelts don't protect you in an accident, it's your responsibility to prove me wrong? :thinking:

I think the burden of proof lies with whoever is making the accusation. Doesn't matter if that accusation is that something does work or doesn't work.

Upvote 0
So if I walked up to you and said that seatbelts don't protect you in an accident, it's your responsibility to prove me wrong? :thinking:

I think the burden of proof lies with whoever is making the accusation. Doesn't matter if that accusation is that something does work or doesn't work.

If seatbelts have just been created and one person said that it protects you and another said that it does not, I would expect the person who says that it protects you to bear the burden of proof.

Upvote 0
Seat-belts can only help so much. You have to actually be using it first... and even then there's still a risk. Antivirus software is no different. Using one is a smart move, but thinking that you're completely covered and lulling yourself into a false sense of security just because you have one is a mistake. Not using one, thinking that you're perfectly safe, or thinking that it'll never happen to you, is an even bigger mistake.

Upvote 0
Seat-belts can only help so much. You have to actually be using it first... and even then there's still a risk. Antivirus software is no different. Using one is a smart move, but thinking that you're completely covered and lulling yourself into a false sense of security just because you have one is a mistake. Not using one, thinking that you're perfectly safe, or thinking that it'll never happen to you, is an even bigger mistake.
Now that you are making the accusation, please provide us with some proof that any mobile antivirus has actually detected and prevented a virus from being installed on a protected phone.

Upvote 0
Now that you are making the accusation, please provide us with some proof that any mobile antivirus has actually detected and prevented a virus from being installed on a protected phone.

Well. I for one am using "Lookout Premium" and out of the 173 apps that I have downloaded and all the links from e-mails and surfing the net, I haven't been infected with anything. (Theirs your proof.) Now, we all seem to agree that the percentage of picking up one of these viruses, malware or spyware is very small, but growing. I am not rooted, so my chances are even smaller, then one who is rooted. That being said, we have to believe they work, unless someone with an AV on their phone gets infected. To which at that time, we have proof that it doesn't work for that AV. Everything else is just opinions.

Upvote 0
Seat-belts can only help so much. You have to actually be using it first... and even then there's still a risk.

You seem to want to compare seat belts with anti-virus software for phones. First of all, many credible sources over the course of my life have stated that using seat belts increases your chance of surviving a car crash and with fewer injuries than not using them. For that reason, I believe that seat belts should be worn.

Antivirus software is no different. Using one is a smart move, but thinking that you're completely covered and lulling yourself into a false sense of security just because you have one is a mistake.

I've read a number of the linked articles on this thread. They all say that you can get malware on an Android phone. However, none of those articles actually say that installing anti-virus software on your phone will reduce the chances of getting malware. If I have missed this in any of those articles, please, let me know which article and quote me the passage that states this.

Not using one, thinking that you're perfectly safe, or thinking that it'll never happen to you, is an even bigger mistake.

As far as I can tell, no one here on this forum claims that you are perfectly safe from malware. A number of us say that we have not found any credible source that claim installing anti-virus software on an Android phone will reduce the chances of getting malware. For that reason, we do not believe that anit-virus software on Android phones are useful. If you do have such a credible source, please let us know what it is as I and others will be interested.

Reactions: aysiu
Upvote 0
Well. I for one am using "Lookout Premium" and out of the 173 apps that I have downloaded and all the links from e-mails and surfing the net, I haven't been infected with anything. (Theirs your proof.)

Did you know that your phone was definitely attacked by some malware? Not getting any malware after installing Lookout Premium does not constitute as proof to me. What would constitute as proof is if you have two phones that are the same with the exception that one has Lookout Premium and the other one doesn't. Then have the malware attack both phones and show that the phone not running Lookout Premium was successfully attacked while the one running Lookout Premium was not.

Now, we all seem to agree that the percentage of picking up one of these viruses, malware or spyware is very small, but growing. I am not rooted, so my chances are even smaller, then one who is rooted. That being said, we have to believe they work, unless someone with an AV on their phone gets infected. To which at that time, we have proof that it doesn't work for that AV. Everything else is just opinions.

I cannot believe that AV software work unless they demonstrate that it works first. Before I spend the money and give up storage space and CPU cycles, I want to know that it is the AV software actually works.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
I am rather suspicious about some of these security apps. I sometimes wonder if some are actually malware themselves. Security apps are a good way to disguise malware since people may not question the access the apps need. It is quite reasonable that someone would expect such an app to gain access to your phone's storage in order to scanner files. It is also reasonable people do not question allowing it full internet access since they may think it is how it gets updated signature files.

I also find it to be a strange coincidence that the above two posters just joined the forums here and posted endorcements for security apps within minutes of each other.

Upvote 0
Well. I for one am using "Lookout Premium" and out of the 173 apps that I have downloaded and all the links from e-mails and surfing the net, I haven't been infected with anything. (Theirs your proof.) Now, we all seem to agree that the percentage of picking up one of these viruses, malware or spyware is very small, but growing. I am not rooted, so my chances are even smaller, then one who is rooted. That being said, we have to believe they work, unless someone with an AV on their phone gets infected. To which at that time, we have proof that it doesn't work for that AV. Everything else is just opinions.
No no no, you have to actually find and download a proven Android virus (I don't even care if Google has eradicated it) and attempt to install it on your phone. If lookout catches it, great! You didn't waste your money. But if it gets through, you wasted your money. I'm willing to bet the latter will happen. I mean, even Lookout's developers don't prove that it can stop viruses.

Upvote 0

It is NOT proof of the efficacy of your AV. (if something does not happen, you are proving a negative - you had sex w/o a condom and survived...is that proof you are infertile or AIDS does not exist?)
Oh, and 'there', not 'their.'

Not one AV has ever found malware or a virus, but we the community and Google have.

Upvote 0

It's not proof of anything. A real proof would be to test the AV against a list of known viruses and see if it blocked anything.

Upvote 0
I couldn't watch all of that channel 4 video, I got to the bit where he received an email from a "hacker" and had to turn off. :p

"Anti-Virus" software on Android isn't really necessary, the best way to be safe is by being careful of what you install, only installing from trusted sources and checking the permissions of apps before you install. It's also not advisable to go clicking links in emails where you can't be sure who sent it to you (the same as with a PC, which is why that channel 4 thing got on my nerves). There's an excellent post by alostpacket here: http://androidforums.com/android-ap...ps-avoid-viruses-guide-those-new-android.html

Yet another article and in the end truth is nobody has the last word...or as the person who posted that article put it:

"Also, while this guide attempts to be as comprehensive as possible, there may be errors or misjudgments, or just opinions that are subjective. Please read it with the idea in mind that it's just a part of the information you may want to consider when downloading your apps. "

Upvote 0
Check your source next time (all of those are from Kaspersky if you misssed that). I have already discussed that an antivirus company will do everything in its power to scare users into using its products. I'm not saying there are no viruses on mobile platforms; what I'm saying is that these companies get you to use their products when you don't even know if they work. Having a steel door with 50 vault dead locks isn't going to help much if there is a person sized hole in the middle of the door or an open window 2 feet away.

Upvote 0
Not one AV has ever found malware or a virus, but we the community and Google have.

Not really for or against using anti-virus, as some AV programs have other side features which if made well are enough to warrant a recommendation, but I find the above statement a little iffy.

Antivirus databases is simply a list of all known viruses currently, and the antivirus blocks these, whether it be a PC AV or a phone AV. Basically its why AVs need always updating, because there are supposed to be new viruses discovered everyday. However, PC AVs sometimes have certain features which allows it to flag certain programs as viruses based on the actions of the program, which allows them to detect viruses even if its not on the database. I dont think mobile AVs would be able to detect unknown viruses, and testing them with known malware would simply mean that they have updated their libraries.

Basically, on a mobile phone, your best bet would still be to watch what you install.

Upvote 0

I'm still waiting to see an article from an independent source that said some type of security software installed a phone actually prevented a know piece of malware from getting onto the phone. It's obvious to me that any phone can get malware. What is not clear is what security software actually managed to prevent malware from getting onto the phone in the first place.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones