• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Buy, Radio Shack, And Gift Cards

xthedakmanx

Android Expert
Sep 10, 2011
goo.im
Hello everyone.

Today I called Best Buy trying to find this phone. They said it is still for preorder and they "Can't sell it before june 17th" which is...well...lame because it came out last week.

What sucks even more is a few weeks back I bought a 50$ best buy card (so I wouldn't spend it on anything else) JUST for this phone.

I called back and talked to customer service and asked since I have the recipt, if I can trade the gift card back into cash. After a bit of waiting (she was asking her manager) she came back and said that they just implemented a new system that allows you to do just that (or trade it back to whatever form of payment you bought the card with)

So tomorrow I'm going to BB, getting cash back from my gift card, then going to Radio Shack (WHICH has them in stock...every single one in 50 miles in my area), and picking up this phone :p

thats weird because my pre order from best buy says the estimated time of arrival is june 10th. I have to wait for best buy cause I plan on using the extended warranty I got with my MT to get a free evo V

High five :) But I would like to ask, you did pre order it, will they still charge you? I mean like of you use extended warranty to get an exchange, are they going to pay you back?

Upvote 0
:D

On 10th June, Target, Bestbuy and possibly Walmart will have many HTC EVO in stock. Probably, this will be the VM branded fresh batch with many hardware and software kinks removed. For many, USD 300 + tax is a big price tag for just a phone and USD 35 for monthly charge is also significant. Many bought Triumph just a few months ago. So I don't imagine them jumping on HTC EVO V right away. Plus many will be waiting for July 1st when they can pick up i-Phone (possibly, 4S) from VM USA where they can retain their USD 25 per month 3G plan.

So, I say wait and you shall see big price drop and easy availability for HTC EVO V by 3rd week of June.

The plum home screen color on Bestbuy HTC EVO V looks very appealing!

Upvote 0

On 10th June, Target, Bestbuy and possibly Walmart will have many HTC EVO in stock. Probably, this will be the VM branded fresh batch with many hardware and software kinks removed. For many, USD 300 + tax is a big price tag for just a phone and USD 35 for monthly charge is also significant. Many bought Triumph just a few months ago. So I don't imagine them jumping on HTC EVO V right away. Plus many will be waiting for July 1st when they can pick up i-Phone (possibly, 4S) from VM USA where they can retain their USD 25 per month 3G plan.

So, I say wait and you shall see big price drop and easy availability for HTC EVO V by 3rd week of June.

I think the actual policy is that any vm phone released after 5/27 is going to force a grandfathered customer to the current rates. Unless I misread that text which would be great

Upvote 0

One of the benefits of getting it now through RS is you get the early Sprint branded model which may/may not be better than the new run, but if is is not then you can return it within 30 days.

All I can really say is that companies do not tend to make a good product better later in production life, they tend to start skimping on every nickle and dime they can.

So if it turns out the Sprint phone is better I'll stick with mine, if the VM new batch is better I'll return mine saying it can't get a signal (or something similar) and then swap it out for the VM phone.

Who knows... there may be something special about the Sprint phones that the VM models don't get.

Upvote 0
Probably, this will be the VM branded fresh batch with many hardware and software kinks removed.

What hardware and software kinks are you referring to?

Plus many will be waiting for July 1st when they can pick up i-Phone (possibly, 4S) from VM USA where they can retain their USD 25 per month 3G plan.

If/when the iPhone comes to VM, you will not be able to keep your grandfathered plan if you switch to the iPhone. All smart phones released after May 1st and activated after May 27th are subject to the new, higher rates. I'm not sure why you think otherwise, please explain?

Upvote 0
I pre-ordered in store, I had to purchase a 50$ gift card to hold my pre order reservation. Basically I have been having problems with my MT since I got it but I heard that the EVO V was coming out so I found my best buy receipt and took my MT to them and explained what was up, they told me that they did not carry the MT anymore even though its on their website and that I can get a store credit to exchange my MT for a new phone but it had to be used for a phone... So they recommended I pre order the evo V and wait until it comes in to do the warranty exchange.

I will get a store credit for the purchase price of the MT, I did get 50$ off when i bought my MT so I will have to pay 50$ out of pocket but that aint bad

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones